TN: NV Georges Remy Champagne Premier Cru Les Quatre Terroirs

This is my first time with a wine from this pretty new operation that seems to be getting more and more visibility on social media. Apparently he started off making still wines before his first Champagnes and this is very evident here - it is no Selosse but the stylistic similarities are there. The label states 12.5% and I would guess the actual alcohol level to not be much lower. This is not to say that it tastes hot, just that the weight and the ripeness are prominent. Thus not a Champagne for everyone (gf who prefers fresh and clean blanc de blancs did not find much to enjoy) but a serious and well made effort. Pretty solid value at 40€ and encourages me to expect good things from the producer’s other wines.

What is just lovely is the informative back label. This was 2017 based with reserve wines from the three preceding vintages. It’s a 68% PN 32% CH blend that was fermented and aged in oak. Grapes come from Bouzy, Ambonnay, Louvois and Tauxières. 4190 bottles and 400 magnums made, dosage 3.5g/l, disgorged Dec 2019.

• NV Georges Remy Champagne Premier
    Cru Les Quatre Terroirs
    - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (1.1.2021)
    On the nose richly fruited and oxidative with notes of apricot, orange peel, baking spices, judicious yet obvious oak and faint toastiness. Has a brandy-like quality but not in a bad way. On the palate rich, vinous and dry with some bitterness. Sports a very nice palate-coating and persistent mousse. Despite the ripeness, a somewhat oxidative feel and the oak it has good freshness and tanginess that give it a lively feel. Pretty well judged dosage, comes off as balanced and altogether enjoyable with a seamless, lingering finish. Solid on its own but has qualities that scream to be paired with food. A broad Champagne with certain weight, successful in this style I would say.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like