TNs: A couple of 1990 Bordeaux, Pinots and a Huet

Last wine dinner for the year, and luckily all the wines were showing beautifully.

• 1999 Domaine Bruno Clavelier Vosne-Romanée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (30/12/2020)
    Opened four hours before dinner. More rustic style of Burgundy, showing coffee and cherry notes. Still remarkably tight and youthful for a 21-year-old wine, only towards the end of the night did it show glimpses of fruit. Usually the village-level stuff is bottled individually by climats, anyone has an idea why he decided to blend them for this vintage?
  • 2017 Hirsch Vineyards Pinot Noir West Ridge - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (30/12/2020)
    Called this an American Pinot but one that was made in a more restrained style. Some vanilla on the nose, good acidity gives the wine a solid backbone. Tannins are silky and velvety, and with air the raspberry-sweetness of fruit became more pronounced. Still very youthful, definitely a good idea to sit on these.
  • 1990 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (30/12/2020)
    Another classic left bank Bordeaux. Similar profile to the GPL which was why I guessed Pauillac. Still very fresh, albeit the fruit was not as vibrant as the 1990 GPL, and this leant towards the sweet side rather than savoury. Tannins pretty much softened and resolved, drink these up if you have them.
  • 1990 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (30/12/2020)
    Monumental wine. There’s an immense power to this coupled with some tertiary Bordeaux characteristics of cigar ash and tobacco. Ripe fruit for its time, some savouriness to the wine that I liked. I do love old school Bordeaux that have a certain rusticity and marginal ripeness character. They don’t quite make wines like this anymore.
  • 1995 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (30/12/2020)
    First time trying the benchmark Vouvray sweet, was afraid that this might be corked after reading issues about their corks but this was a pristine bottle. Corn-yellow colour, smelled of Granny Smith apples. Fresh as a daisy, elegant and rich mouthfeel but not as heavy as a Sauternes. There is an incredible acidity drives at the palate, lending itself to a lovely persistent finish. Remarkably youthful and could probably live forever.

1 Like

Mazel Tov!

They do last forever. The 1921 and 1924 Huet Moelleux are approaching 100 and going strong from what I’ve heard. I’ve been fortunate to have tried both due to generous friends, last in 2014.

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Nice notes. Man, all those 90s!

2 Likes

1990 GPL is indeed a stunner. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like