TN: NV Bodegas Hidalgo - Manzanilla "La Gitana" (Spain, Andalucía, Manzanilla de Sanlúcar de Barrameda)

Surprised there’s no thread for this wine yet. Perhaps it’s just too ubiquitous or run-of-the-mill?

NV Bodegas Hidalgo Manzanilla La Gitana - Spain, Andalucía, Manzanilla de Sanlúcar de Barrameda (12/10/2020)
– bottle opened a week or two prior, and refrigerated since –
– tasted non-blind –

NOSE: light, salinic apple; medium-light nuttiness; slightly bruised apple; moderately expressive.

BODY: medium-light bodied; pale maize color.

TASTE: dry; light saline - apple; pretty light flavor – not much depth; nowhere near the excellent En Rama bottling. Think I’ll stick with Valdespino’s Inocente. Gut impression score: mid 80s.

I enjoy this Manzanilla. The issue I find when buying Sherry in my market is the lack of freshness and bottling date. I suspect these would show much better if they were recently bottled instead of sitting for years in a warehouse or retail shop.

I’ve had excellent bottles of this, and just hum drum bottles. Seems a fair amount of variation depending on the year. Same with the en Rama bottling. I agree it’s not a consistent standout like the Innocente, but it can still be quite good.