TN: 2014 Schäfer-Fröhlich „Felsenberg“ GG - open 2014 now!

"The VDP.GROSSE LAGE® FELSENBERG lies in one of the most spectacular parts of the Nahe. The south-facing slope is nearly black with melaphyre volcanic rock (rhyolite) and rises with a 50-60 percent gradient up to a belt of rock that protects the GL FELSENBERG from fall winds. The soil contains abundant rubble from the eroding rock belt and is loose and well-aerated. The soil’s rapid warming properties work together with its well-protected location to promote early vegetation and to prolong the ripening period. The high rock content ensures good drainage. The vineyard soil also includes porphyry, stony-gritty loam, and fine earth. The GL FELSENBERG is 11 hectares in size and lies between 130 and 200 metres a.s.l.“ VDP

https://www.vdp.de/en/the-wines/vineyardonline/lage/5019-felsenberg#map-inline-target

2014 Schäfer-Fröhlich „Felsenberg“ GG

WOW…now we are talking. Cool, pure, sharpened………glacier water.

First you will discover the familiar stink of spontaneous fermentation, but it will go away after 10-20min. BTW, 2007 Felseneck GG showed no (!) notes of spontaneous fermentation after 10 years. So, don’t worry.

Such pure, razor-sharp and mineral-driven based on melaphyre and volcanic porphyry. By comparison the 2014 Felsenberg GG is a touch more elegant than 2014 Felseneck GG due to a touch more fruit Schmelz, on the other hand Felseneck offers more minerality which gives the GG more purity. Anyway both GGs are terrific and in good shape right now. Open a bottle now! BTW, not only Schäfer-Fröhlich GGs, also the other GGs from 2014 are ready for business.

P.S.

"The VDP.GROSSE LAGE® FELSENECK is located in the Ellerbach River basin, a side valley of the upper Nahe. The vineyard faces due south and it rises a steep slope with 35-70 percent gradient from 250 to 310 metres a.s.l. up to a high forested plateau that protects it from cold fall winds. The soils are quite diverse and are dominated by Upper Rotliegend (Waderner Schichten Formation). Devon slate, quartzite, and basalt rubble are also found. The rocky soils are easily warmed and well-drained. The slope has easy access to light and warmth from the sun, which is advantageous for its macroclimate.“ VDP

https://www.vdp.de/en/the-wines/vineyardonline/lage/5025-felseneck#map-inline-target

Just ordered a bottle of the 2014 Felseneck to try out. Thanks Martin.

Let me know your point of view, Brian.

Tim might have produced the best GG’s in 2014! I opened up a 3L of this in 2019 and it was stunning, absolutely floored a bunch of serious riesling drinkers.

Happy New Year Martin! I hope you have some Scheurebe in your future! Thanks for all of your fantastic contributions here, I truly appreciate it.

Maaaaartin! I though we had an understanding with these type of wines. Shhh…

Let’s keep this to ourselves. [bye.gif]

DANKE Robert. I hope we will drink together a glass of Scheurebe in the near future. Stay healthy!

haha

Don`t worry my friend, besides Robert, you&me and Obi Wan Kenobi from the Bahnhofstr. nobody likes these Rieslings. hahahaha

Stay healthy!

Just don’t mention the spatlese gk and we’ll be ok…

Thanks for the note!

Had some SF 2017 Stromberg with same spontaneous fermentation and reduction. Is that a hallmark of SF wines and why them more than others?

That happens from time to time with Schafer-Frohlich when they are young. We had a 2014 Felseneck GG in 2017 that was undrinkable in that way. The wine is now calmed down and delicious. Others will have a better explanation of the why, I just know not to open the too early.

I really liked the 17 Stromberg, but it was a bit of a wild ride between the initial pour and the subsequent ones, changing so much in the glass. Second glass the next day was like a different wine (and from a Coravin, not open).

opened one of these 2 months ago and I agree, Martin. It was on fire!