TN: 2012 Huré Frères Instantanée Extra Brut

First chance trying this surprisingly affordable producer; lightly bready aromas and some very appealing yellow apple on the nose. It’s fresh and racy on the palate, very vertical, and a pronounced cider-y quality; there’s also a somewhat bruised apple/lightly oxidative bent, especially on the persistent finish, so I’m thinking there was some barrel-aging involved at some point along the way. Could definitely hang for a couple years in the cellar. Looking forward to trying more from these folks.

Sean,

Yes, this sees some oak. The barrels vary in size (228L to 600L) and age. It is a majority steel for this vintage though each year is adjusted per the wines. I agree that cellaring will only see this get better. I’m a big fan of what Huré does and, as you said, the wines are still extremely affordable.

Thanks for the info, Brad! It’s not usually what I look for in Champagne, but I found it very harmonious overall.

Sean,

One other interesting note on this vintage is that it is the first time (to my knowledge) that it is a Blanc de Noirs (80% Pinot Noir, 20% Pinot Meunier). It also did not undergo malolactic fermentation. Typically, in previous vintages, this has been a fairly even blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Meunier and saw full or majority malolactic fermentation. Starting with 2012, Francois and Pierre have made this a wine that will adapt to what the vintage gives them rather than following the same formula year after year.