Ruth Lewandowski Montepulciano Lot# 2 Fox Hill Vineyard

Every so often you open a wine and do a double take, can an innocent looking $18.00 NV wine be this good and complex. Simple answer is yes. Evan Lewandowski, owner-winemaker of Ruth Lewandowski Wines makes a variety of unusual Italian wines and blends. From vintage to vintage the wines can vary in percentages and also what is released. His style is hands off, low or no sulfur. Does this make it natural, who knows and frankly who cares. A hands off winemaker with a science background, Evan is a true ā€œcharacterā€ in the world of wine and I say that with affection and in the best possible way.

Ruth Lewandowski Montepulciano Lot# 2 Fox Hill Vineyard: Dark in the glass this has aromas of spicy dark fruit, earth and violets. Flavors follow with blackberry, boysenberry, earthy, spice and dark cocoa notes. Good concentration but not at all heavy, medium body, this wine also had savory notes and generous amounts of acid to keep everything in balance. Very easy to drink, almost too easy :slight_smile: was pretty great with some homemade baked ziti. No oak, 12.9% ABV. Label says ā€œcontains only natural occurring sulfitesā€. Have a couple bottles left, it is now ā€œsold outā€. Wish I had more. Outstanding effort!

Tom
PXL_20201228_015329494.jpg

2 Likes

Tom-
I hope you are well. This sounds great. Iā€™ve been meaning to check out Lewandowski wines for some time now, and this sounds right up my alley. Was ready to do damage until I saw the ā€˜sold outā€™ comment. LOL. Next time.
Thanks for the note! I am on the lookout.

Love that bottle.
*Ever notice the Italian red wine in The Godfather restaurant scene is a reisling style bottle?

Any thoughts on Feints, Naomi, Chillion or Boaz?

feints is by far my favorite; something like a darker rose with a very perfrumed nose. itā€™s a co-ferment so you get added freshness from the approximately 50% arneis. oddly enough the first time i tried these wines was at cave vivant in paris quite a few years ago. iā€™ve never been taken by the chillion (too cidery) but perhaps it has improved in recent times.

Hey Dennis, we think alike. I went online last night to get more and saw the ā€œsold outā€ label. Knowing (I think) your taste in Italian wine, you would thoroughly enjoy this.

I think Mr. Ristev summed it up quite well. The Feints is probably Evanā€™s ā€œSignatureā€ wine. He produces it every year and it is always tasty. Very much a light tasty red to put a chill on and enjoy. The 2019 Feints is especially good and the blend is similar to other vintages. It contains 31% Arneis, 40% Dolcetto, 18% Barbera, 11% Nebbiolo. Unusual blend but it works. 12.1% ABV. This is a ā€œcuvee zeroā€ wine meaning sulfur free. Will open one up and post a note within a couple weeks.

Tom

Another fan here of Evanā€™s wines. As Tom mentioned, the ā€œFeintsā€ is a reliable and tasty light, chillable blend of white and red varieties and a particular favorite, though Iā€™ve liked nearly everything else Iā€™ve tried from the winery too.