TN: NV Grey Monk Odyssey III [Okanagan Valley]

NV Grey Monk Odyssey III [Okanagan Valley] This is a solera style fortified dessert wine (port) made by a British Columbia producer. I doubt its available in the US. The 500ml cork finished bottle was given to me maybe 10 or 12 years ago, and I’d squirreled it away, forgetting about it, until finding it while decluttering. In extremely faint silvery script - almost like a daguerreotype - on the bottle there is a code, and my interpretation is that it was bottled in 2007. So maybe this is comparable to a 10-12 year old ruby…but after enjoying over 4 days after decanting/straining I found it to be better IMO. It’s rich, chocolatey, structured with a good finish of 20-30 seconds. Most of the ‘ports’ I find in other parts of the world seem to cost just as much as the original, but at least they are usually fairly good. My area around the Sierra Foothills has quite a few producers bottling up this out of fashion type too. Most people won’t see this around, but if they end up trying one, it slides into the B+/A- zone in my ledger. New releases seem to be screwcap, so perhaps its not intended for any aging. It seems like the bartop closed ones are a cue from the producer to whether they expect their output to develop further.