TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#1 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

  • 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/26/2020)
    Aromas of Bartlett pear, tangerine peel, cassis, thyme, and chalky minerals are coaxed from the glass with some aeration. The palate is concentrated but still feels lightweight, with prominent fruit flavors of tart green apple, quince, and underripe yellow peach, with hints of whipped cream and baking spice. The fresh acidity and minerality already feel well integrated. The finish is long, primarily driven by the fruit with some intermingling herbal tones.

    Like Gisela, this wine has great harmony in its core elements, with a long life ahead of it. But while Gisela is more lithe and expressive at this time, performing as a prima ballerina, the Kugel Peter is more serious and deep. (94 pts.)
    Image
Posted from CellarTracker

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39233
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 136 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Only got a single bottle of this one...dance now or dance later?
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#3 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:51 pm Only got a single bottle of this one...dance now or dance later?
I only bought 6 bottles of this and may go back for a full case worth.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20767
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#4 Post by Howard Cooper »

I really feel bad for you Brian. You are doing such a good job with German wines that there has to be more Burgundy in your future. [wow.gif]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#5 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Howard Cooper wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:31 pm I really feel bad for you Brian. You are doing such a good job with German wines that there has to be more Burgundy in your future. [wow.gif]
Not sure if you saw my post on the cellar diversity thread, but I’m buying enough German wine to make Robert blush.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2844
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#6 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Opened a bottle.

My first Falkenstein of the year! I blinked, and 2/3 of the bottle was gone. Surprisingly open. After 5 minutes I was already getting a delicious onslaught of flower blossoms, unripe orangey citrus, petrichor, and caraway/licorice minerals. Very piquant and airy but deep and palate staining at the sane time. I’m loving this. But I’m going to be disciplined and let the rest of the bottle open further overnight.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8250
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#7 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:53 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 26th, 2020, 3:51 pm Only got a single bottle of this one...dance now or dance later?
I only bought 6 bottles of this and may go back for a full case worth.
I don’t see any in WS.

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 278
Joined: February 2nd, 2016, 5:46 pm
Location: Gaithersburg
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#8 Post by Brian Pinci »

I only got a single of this too as well as the Gisela which I already opened. First thought was, damn, why didn’t I buy more. And now I can’t find them anywhere
Brian Pinci

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#9 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Yeah, I couldn't reload. I think the 2019s have come and gone sadly...
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2058
Joined: May 8th, 2010, 7:22 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#10 Post by AAgrawal »

I never found the Gisela. The Kugel Peter is excellent though. Wish I had discovered this producer earlier.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

User avatar
G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 285
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:13 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#11 Post by G. Curd »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:09 pm Yeah, I couldn't reload. I think the 2019s have come and gone sadly...
Yeah I missed out on these too. Too much wine to buy :). I explained to my wife that I wasn't buying wine I was "investing" in a good that has growth in value. However, she countered with a pretty strong argument that when I drink them they typically lose a lot of value. We will just have to agree to disagree
G a v i n

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#12 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

G. Curd wrote: January 6th, 2021, 5:53 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:09 pm Yeah, I couldn't reload. I think the 2019s have come and gone sadly...
Yeah I missed out on these too. Too much wine to buy :). I explained to my wife that I wasn't buying wine I was "investing" in a good that has growth in value. However, she countered with a pretty strong argument that when I drink them they typically lose a lot of value. We will just have to agree to disagree
[cheers.gif]
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1963
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#13 Post by Claus Jeppesen »

Brian Pinci wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:01 pm I only got a single of this too as well as the Gisela which I already opened. First thought was, damn, why didn’t I buy more. And now I can’t find them anywhere
Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
Attachments
Resized_20201226_162252.jpeg
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#14 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am
Brian Pinci wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:01 pm I only got a single of this too as well as the Gisela which I already opened. First thought was, damn, why didn’t I buy more. And now I can’t find them anywhere
Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
That's double me lol
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 911
Joined: October 5th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: NYC
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#15 Post by DanielP »

Union Square wines has #14 and #6 in stock at pretty good pricing for NY (MA was much cheaper)
P@ik

A.Gillette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#16 Post by A.Gillette »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am
Brian Pinci wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:01 pm I only got a single of this too as well as the Gisela which I already opened. First thought was, damn, why didn’t I buy more. And now I can’t find them anywhere
Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
That's double me lol
I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
Alex

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8250
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#17 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am

Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
That's double me lol
I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
I sent you a pm. Hopefully, Lars checks in here.

User avatar
Lars Carlberg
Posts: 883
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#18 Post by Lars Carlberg »

A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am

Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
That's double me lol
I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.

A.Gillette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#19 Post by A.Gillette »

Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

That's double me lol
I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Thanks Lars. I had read that it was only first press juice in 2019 as well but sounds like that was incorrect.
A
Alex

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1963
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#20 Post by Claus Jeppesen »

I hear from several knowledgeable enthusiastic winelovers that it is prudent to WAIT with enjoying the Falkenstein wines
The problem is that they taste so damn fantastic when young
Thats why I have stocked up.
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1963
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#21 Post by Claus Jeppesen »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am
Brian Pinci wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:01 pm I only got a single of this too as well as the Gisela which I already opened. First thought was, damn, why didn’t I buy more. And now I can’t find them anywhere
Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
That's double me lol
I have around 120 bottles
Sames as a good Danish friend near by
We look forward to drink them at age 20
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1963
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#22 Post by Claus Jeppesen »

Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

That's double me lol
I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Thanks Lars.
I am 100% confident that these wines (Trocken, Feonherb, etc) will be so delicious in 20 years
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
Lars Carlberg
Posts: 883
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#23 Post by Lars Carlberg »

A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:47 am
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm

I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Thanks Lars. I had read that it was only first press juice in 2019 as well but sounds like that was incorrect.
A
You're welcome, Alex. That's correct, but I don't want to reveal too much. So much depends on the quality of the grapes. This starts with pruning the vines. The Webers gently press the grapes whole, but so do Raveneau and Vincent Dauvissat and most Champagne producers. I will say that some big-name producers do fractioning while pressing and no one questions the lifespan of their wines. Even before the 2018 vintage, certain people were questioning the quality and longevity of the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein. It's okay. The wines are delicious early on, and it makes people wonder if they age.

User avatar
Lars Carlberg
Posts: 883
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#24 Post by Lars Carlberg »

Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:11 am
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm

I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Thanks Lars.
I am 100% confident that these wines (Trocken, Feonherb, etc) will be so delicious in 20 years
Thanks, Claus.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#25 Post by Robert Dentice »

Lars Carlberg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 8:13 am
A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:47 am
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm

It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Thanks Lars. I had read that it was only first press juice in 2019 as well but sounds like that was incorrect.
A
You're welcome, Alex. That's correct, but I don't want to reveal too much. So much depends on the quality of the grapes. This starts with pruning the vines. The Webers gently press the grapes whole, but so do Raveneau and Vincent Dauvissat and most Champagne producers. I will say that some big-name producers do fractioning while pressing and no one questions the lifespan of their wines. Even before the 2018 vintage, certain people were questioning the quality and longevity of the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein. It's okay. The wines are delicious early on, and it makes people wonder if they age.
I for one seriously question the longevity of the wines. Every time I open a bottle it never lasts long.
ITB - source | material

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2844
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#26 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Robert Dentice wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:03 am
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 8:13 am
A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:47 am

Thanks Lars. I had read that it was only first press juice in 2019 as well but sounds like that was incorrect.
A
You're welcome, Alex. That's correct, but I don't want to reveal too much. So much depends on the quality of the grapes. This starts with pruning the vines. The Webers gently press the grapes whole, but so do Raveneau and Vincent Dauvissat and most Champagne producers. I will say that some big-name producers do fractioning while pressing and no one questions the lifespan of their wines. Even before the 2018 vintage, certain people were questioning the quality and longevity of the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein. It's okay. The wines are delicious early on, and it makes people wonder if they age.
I for one seriously question the longevity of the wines. Every time I open a bottle it never lasts long.
#singleserving750

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#27 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

I'm no winemaker, but I have been a serious wine drinker for almost 30 years, so hopefully I have some credibility. And, while this is purely anecdotal rather than based on controlled double-blind scientific research, over those 30 years I have found that one key to a bottle's longevity is its owner's ability to resist opening it.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#28 Post by Robert Dentice »

Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:08 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:23 am

Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
That's double me lol
I have around 120 bottles
Sames as a good Danish friend near by
We look forward to drink them at age 20
I am well over 500 not counting mags as double so I hope so too...
ITB - source | material

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1963
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#29 Post by Claus Jeppesen »

Robert Dentice wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:05 am
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:08 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

That's double me lol
I have around 120 bottles
Sames as a good Danish friend near by
We look forward to drink them at age 20
I am well over 500 not counting mags as double so I hope so too...
Great Robert
Let's talk in 2041😊
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20767
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#30 Post by Howard Cooper »

Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

That's double me lol
I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Lars, it confuses me that this is a question. Haven't the Webers owned the estate for a very long time (at least since the 1980s)? Shouldn't it be known by now whether the wines age or they don't age. Have things changed in how they do things enough to raise a question?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Lars Carlberg
Posts: 883
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#31 Post by Lars Carlberg »

Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:54 am
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm

I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A
It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Lars, it confuses me that this is a question. Haven't the Webers owned the estate for a very long time (at least since the 1980s)? Shouldn't it be known by now whether the wines age or they don't age. Have things changed in how they do things enough to raise a question?
The Webers have owned Falkensteiner Hof (Hofgut Falkenstein) since 1985. For many people, the wines are new. The things that have changed are more off-dry and residually sweet wines. In the past, most of the wines were dry. In the 2013 vintage, they also replaced their old screw press with a new pneumatic press.

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1963
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#32 Post by Claus Jeppesen »

Robert Dentice wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:05 am
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:08 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

That's double me lol
I have around 120 bottles
Sames as a good Danish friend near by
We look forward to drink them at age 20
I am well over 500 not counting mags as double so I hope so too...
champagne.gif
Claus

Riesling and Slate

MaxSemler39
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9
Joined: December 3rd, 2020, 6:45 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#33 Post by MaxSemler39 »

Thanks for the TN!

Any experience with the 2019 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Spatlese #14?

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2844
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#34 Post by Jayson Cohen »

MaxSemler39 wrote: January 8th, 2021, 1:13 pm Thanks for the TN!

Any experience with the 2019 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Spatlese #14?
It’s phenomenal. If you search, there are a number of reports on WB over the last few months. I cellared 3 initially. Opened a fourth. Then bought 5 more.

MaxSemler39
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9
Joined: December 3rd, 2020, 6:45 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#35 Post by MaxSemler39 »

Jayson Cohen wrote: January 8th, 2021, 2:17 pm
MaxSemler39 wrote: January 8th, 2021, 1:13 pm Thanks for the TN!

Any experience with the 2019 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Spatlese #14?
It’s phenomenal. If you search, there are a number of reports on WB over the last few months. I cellared 3 initially. Opened a fourth. Then bought 5 more.
Thanks, Jayson!

User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1047
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#36 Post by Andrew K. »

Only got one of each also. Hard to find here unfortunately
к𝓁ย𝐠

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20767
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#37 Post by Howard Cooper »

Lars Carlberg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:54 am
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 7th, 2021, 10:21 pm

It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don't age has been said before. It's unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.
Lars, it confuses me that this is a question. Haven't the Webers owned the estate for a very long time (at least since the 1980s)? Shouldn't it be known by now whether the wines age or they don't age. Have things changed in how they do things enough to raise a question?
The Webers have owned Falkensteiner Hof (Hofgut Falkenstein) since 1985. For many people, the wines are new. The things that have changed are more off-dry and residually sweet wines. In the past, most of the wines were dry. In the 2013 vintage, they also replaced their old screw press with a new pneumatic press.
So, what is the history of the wines aging? At what ages do you think the wines are best based on your history with the estate. The oldest wine I have had was a 2017 I had in 2020.

I must admit that this discussion is kind of strange to me. I cannot remember having a Saar wine from an excellent producer that has not aged well from a decent vintage.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

A.Gillette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#38 Post by A.Gillette »

Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:34 pm
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:54 am

Lars, it confuses me that this is a question. Haven't the Webers owned the estate for a very long time (at least since the 1980s)? Shouldn't it be known by now whether the wines age or they don't age. Have things changed in how they do things enough to raise a question?
The Webers have owned Falkensteiner Hof (Hofgut Falkenstein) since 1985. For many people, the wines are new. The things that have changed are more off-dry and residually sweet wines. In the past, most of the wines were dry. In the 2013 vintage, they also replaced their old screw press with a new pneumatic press.
So, what is the history of the wines aging? At what ages do you think the wines are best based on your history with the estate. The oldest wine I have had was a 2017 I had in 2020.

I must admit that this discussion is kind of strange to me. I cannot remember having a Saar wine from an excellent producer that has not aged well from a decent vintage.
Here is the issue. In 2018, Hofgut (and it sounds like other producers) used only the first run juice to make their wines. That might make for a racy set of wines and helps deal with hot vintage, where acidity drops pretty significantly as you press, but it seems like it leaves a question about longevity. Here is Lars’ response when I asked about it earlier (note that the thread is titled for the 2017, but Lars is responding to my post about the ‘18):

viewtopic.php?p=2958385#p2958385

I had read that the 2019 was similarly lightly pressed and that only the first run juice was used, and therefore had what was basically the same question that I had about the 18s. So this isn’t really about whether Saar wines can age. I don’t think anyone debates that. I’ve had tons of beautiful Egon Muller wines from the 70s that, while undrinkable because they are completely infected with TCA, have otherwise aged beautifully. And that is just one example. My point was about a specific winemaking technique, and how it affects ageabilty. It wasn’t an attack on Falkenstein’s wines (whose wines I’ve been cellaring for quite some time) or a question about the longevity of the Saar. It sounds like I was incorrect about what was done at Falkenstein in 2019 anyway. No one seemed to think it was such a big deal to ask this question last time, but now everyone loves the wines (thanks, Mosel Fine Wine guys) so I seem to have struck a nerve. In any event, I really like the wines whether they age or not.

A
Alex

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20767
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#39 Post by Howard Cooper »

A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:58 pm My point was about a specific winemaking technique, and how it affects ageabilty. It wasn’t an attack on Falkenstein’s wines (whose wines I’ve been cellaring for quite some time) or a question about the longevity of the Saar. It sounds like I was incorrect about what was done at Falkenstein in 2019 anyway. No one seemed to think it was such a big deal to ask this question last time, but now everyone loves the wines (thanks, Mosel Fine Wine guys) so I seem to have struck a nerve. In any event, I really like the wines whether they age or not.

Are they the first Saar winery to have ever done this? Again, shouldn't there be a history about what has happened using first run juice only on Saar wines? My question is not whether you were right or wrong raising this but why there isn't an easy answer based on history to your question.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

A.Gillette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#40 Post by A.Gillette »

Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 5:09 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:58 pm My point was about a specific winemaking technique, and how it affects ageabilty. It wasn’t an attack on Falkenstein’s wines (whose wines I’ve been cellaring for quite some time) or a question about the longevity of the Saar. It sounds like I was incorrect about what was done at Falkenstein in 2019 anyway. No one seemed to think it was such a big deal to ask this question last time, but now everyone loves the wines (thanks, Mosel Fine Wine guys) so I seem to have struck a nerve. In any event, I really like the wines whether they age or not.

Are they the first Saar winery to have ever done this? Again, shouldn't there be a history about what has happened using first run juice only on Saar wines? My question is not whether you were right or wrong raising this but why there isn't an easy answer based on history to your question.
Well, that was sort of my question as well, both in April and in this thread. I don’t have a perfect answer yet, although it sounds like Lars knows of others who have done so. As to the history, winemaking techniques are adapting for climate change so I’m not sure it is true that there is an easy answer based on the past. 2018 just sort of feels like a breaking point and a watershed moment in a lot of ways. And using only the first press is an expensive proposition. One would have to be willing to make a real financial sacrifice for the sake of producing wines in the preferred style.
A
Alex

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39233
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 136 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#41 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

When tasting the wines I find nothing that would indicate a potential lack of longevity. Of course the “doesn’t age” meme has come up before, and been dead wrong before. I am certain it will be wrong here.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Lars Carlberg
Posts: 883
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#42 Post by Lars Carlberg »

Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:34 pm
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 11:54 am

Lars, it confuses me that this is a question. Haven't the Webers owned the estate for a very long time (at least since the 1980s)? Shouldn't it be known by now whether the wines age or they don't age. Have things changed in how they do things enough to raise a question?
The Webers have owned Falkensteiner Hof (Hofgut Falkenstein) since 1985. For many people, the wines are new. The things that have changed are more off-dry and residually sweet wines. In the past, most of the wines were dry. In the 2013 vintage, they also replaced their old screw press with a new pneumatic press.
So, what is the history of the wines aging? At what ages do you think the wines are best based on your history with the estate. The oldest wine I have had was a 2017 I had in 2020.

I must admit that this discussion is kind of strange to me. I cannot remember having a Saar wine from an excellent producer that has not aged well from a decent vintage.
The aging potential is no different from any other top producer on the Saar and Mosel. I've tasted wines from the late eighties and early nineties that showed very well. Unlike certain estates that have a Schatzkammer, the Webers don't have a large private cellar of back vintages.

User avatar
Lars Carlberg
Posts: 883
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#43 Post by Lars Carlberg »

A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:58 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:34 pm
Lars Carlberg wrote: January 8th, 2021, 12:24 pm

The Webers have owned Falkensteiner Hof (Hofgut Falkenstein) since 1985. For many people, the wines are new. The things that have changed are more off-dry and residually sweet wines. In the past, most of the wines were dry. In the 2013 vintage, they also replaced their old screw press with a new pneumatic press.
So, what is the history of the wines aging? At what ages do you think the wines are best based on your history with the estate. The oldest wine I have had was a 2017 I had in 2020.

I must admit that this discussion is kind of strange to me. I cannot remember having a Saar wine from an excellent producer that has not aged well from a decent vintage.
Here is the issue. In 2018, Hofgut (and it sounds like other producers) used only the first run juice to make their wines. That might make for a racy set of wines and helps deal with hot vintage, where acidity drops pretty significantly as you press, but it seems like it leaves a question about longevity. Here is Lars’ response when I asked about it earlier (note that the thread is titled for the 2017, but Lars is responding to my post about the ‘18):

viewtopic.php?p=2958385#p2958385

I had read that the 2019 was similarly lightly pressed and that only the first run juice was used, and therefore had what was basically the same question that I had about the 18s. So this isn’t really about whether Saar wines can age. I don’t think anyone debates that. I’ve had tons of beautiful Egon Muller wines from the 70s that, while undrinkable because they are completely infected with TCA, have otherwise aged beautifully. And that is just one example. My point was about a specific winemaking technique, and how it affects ageabilty. It wasn’t an attack on Falkenstein’s wines (whose wines I’ve been cellaring for quite some time) or a question about the longevity of the Saar. It sounds like I was incorrect about what was done at Falkenstein in 2019 anyway. No one seemed to think it was such a big deal to ask this question last time, but now everyone loves the wines (thanks, Mosel Fine Wine guys) so I seem to have struck a nerve. In any event, I really like the wines whether they age or not.

A
I guess maybe I wasn't clear, but I meant that that's correct. The Webers also lightly pressed their grapes in the 2019 vintage. But, as I wrote in that earlier thread, the first pressing doesn't only include the free-run juice. I'm not bothered by your questions at all. You're an astute observer. A number of big-name German producers have purchased expensive Bucher basket presses for a part of their production because these are very gentle and give the equivalent of free-run juice.

User avatar
Lars Carlberg
Posts: 883
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#44 Post by Lars Carlberg »

A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 5:09 pm
A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:58 pm My point was about a specific winemaking technique, and how it affects ageabilty. It wasn’t an attack on Falkenstein’s wines (whose wines I’ve been cellaring for quite some time) or a question about the longevity of the Saar. It sounds like I was incorrect about what was done at Falkenstein in 2019 anyway. No one seemed to think it was such a big deal to ask this question last time, but now everyone loves the wines (thanks, Mosel Fine Wine guys) so I seem to have struck a nerve. In any event, I really like the wines whether they age or not.

Are they the first Saar winery to have ever done this? Again, shouldn't there be a history about what has happened using first run juice only on Saar wines? My question is not whether you were right or wrong raising this but why there isn't an easy answer based on history to your question.
Well, that was sort of my question as well, both in April and in this thread. I don’t have a perfect answer yet, although it sounds like Lars knows of others who have done so. As to the history, winemaking techniques are adapting for climate change so I’m not sure it is true that there is an easy answer based on the past. 2018 just sort of feels like a breaking point and a watershed moment in a lot of ways. And using only the first press is an expensive proposition. One would have to be willing to make a real financial sacrifice for the sake of producing wines in the preferred style.
A
The Webers intuitively chose to fraction a part of the pressing in the 2018 vintage, but they always did whole-bunch pressing. Most producers lightly crush and press the grapes, which gives more juice and a different style of wine. One can also macerate the crushed grapes before pressing. As for fractioning, certain producers keep all the pressings from a given batch for different wines, so there's no real financial sacrifice. Once again, I don't want to name names or give away all the details about the Webers' pressing regimen in a wine forum.

A.Gillette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#45 Post by A.Gillette »

Lars Carlberg wrote: January 9th, 2021, 1:06 am
A.Gillette wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:58 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:34 pm

So, what is the history of the wines aging? At what ages do you think the wines are best based on your history with the estate. The oldest wine I have had was a 2017 I had in 2020.

I must admit that this discussion is kind of strange to me. I cannot remember having a Saar wine from an excellent producer that has not aged well from a decent vintage.
Here is the issue. In 2018, Hofgut (and it sounds like other producers) used only the first run juice to make their wines. That might make for a racy set of wines and helps deal with hot vintage, where acidity drops pretty significantly as you press, but it seems like it leaves a question about longevity. Here is Lars’ response when I asked about it earlier (note that the thread is titled for the 2017, but Lars is responding to my post about the ‘18):

viewtopic.php?p=2958385#p2958385

I had read that the 2019 was similarly lightly pressed and that only the first run juice was used, and therefore had what was basically the same question that I had about the 18s. So this isn’t really about whether Saar wines can age. I don’t think anyone debates that. I’ve had tons of beautiful Egon Muller wines from the 70s that, while undrinkable because they are completely infected with TCA, have otherwise aged beautifully. And that is just one example. My point was about a specific winemaking technique, and how it affects ageabilty. It wasn’t an attack on Falkenstein’s wines (whose wines I’ve been cellaring for quite some time) or a question about the longevity of the Saar. It sounds like I was incorrect about what was done at Falkenstein in 2019 anyway. No one seemed to think it was such a big deal to ask this question last time, but now everyone loves the wines (thanks, Mosel Fine Wine guys) so I seem to have struck a nerve. In any event, I really like the wines whether they age or not.

A
I guess maybe I wasn't clear, but I meant that that's correct. The Webers also lightly pressed their grapes in the 2019 vintage. But, as I wrote in that earlier thread, the first pressing doesn't only include the free-run juice. I'm not bothered by your questions at all. You're an astute observer. A number of big-name German producers have purchased expensive Bucher basket presses for a part of their production because these are very gentle and give the equivalent of free-run juice.
Thanks Lars. I appreciate the response. As I think more about the thread, I guess part of what’s so interesting, and what makes the Hofgut Falkenstein wines so exciting, is that the really are different than anything else produced in the Saar. The wines are unique. In any event, I just checked my own records. I started buying these in the 2013 vintage. For the 2018/19 vintages, I’ve got about 60 bottles from each vintage. I’ve got more than that in 2017. So I will be able to drink a few bottles a year for the next 50 years and can report back.
A
Alex

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1799
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#46 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Another thing that makes HF unique among European wineries is having Lars here, participating so frequently and openly (even if he has to keep a "house secret" to himself now and again).

Being able to connect with the estate like this is tremendous, and very much appreciated! [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#47 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Agreed. Really like having Lars post here and his responsiveness on IG, especially if you post a pic of a Hofgut Falkenstein wine and haven't tagged it properly ;)
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

A.Gillette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#48 Post by A.Gillette »

Agreed! Lots of useful information from Lars, particularly if you become a member of his site. Lots of useful articles for subscribers there.
A
Alex

Doug Sher
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 287
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 4:27 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#49 Post by Doug Sher »

I think that if a bottle of wine has been open and does not decline, it is a good indicator of it's ageability. In 2016, I was given several cases of bottles of various 2015 Falkenstein wines that had been opened before I received them. The corks were put back in the bottle and they sat in cases in the hallway of my apartment. I finished the last bottles about four months after I received them and noticed no deterioration in quality. Additionally, I have kept bottles of various vintages that were half finished (mostly auslese and spatlese) in the fridge for a month with similar "results". Unfortunately, all of these were 2015 or later as that was my first vintage.

I think they are quite ageworthy, but hard to age as I have never found one to be less than delicious.

While it hasn't received as much attention as some of the other 2019's, the Ober Schaferhaus is also worth seeking out. It's the most exciting trocken Falkenstein wine that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. I've killed 10 bottles out of a case thus far, although some of them have been gifted to friends.

User avatar
G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 285
Joined: June 9th, 2020, 11:13 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

#50 Post by G. Curd »

Robert Dentice wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:05 am
Claus Jeppesen wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:08 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

That's double me lol
I have around 120 bottles
Sames as a good Danish friend near by
We look forward to drink them at age 20
I am well over 500 not counting mags as double so I hope so too...
[cheers.gif] champagne.gif [cheers.gif]
G a v i n

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”