TN: 2019 Brokenwood - Sémillon (Australia, New South Wales, Hunter Valley)

Recent conversation somewhere on this board got me interested in exploring Semillon from Australia; this was my first foray.

2019 Brokenwood Sémillon - Australia, New South Wales, Hunter Valley (11/14/2020)
– cracked and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

High-toned Nose is fairly light, and not very expressive. Clear, green-tinged water color. On the palate, this is tart with lots of mineral flavor. Not wooly. I like it, and believe this might benefit from a little bit of age.

I love this wine year in, year out. They’re amazing benchmarks for the grape and style. If you want to try the more waxy style, the 09 Oakey Creek can likely be found in places (or whatever the next release is)

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye out for it, Keith, even though I actually prefer the less waxy/wooly Chenins. Thanks!

Was it a screw cap?

Popped (unscrewed) one of these last night as well. I think the OP is fairly accurate, was a bit tart, but not overwhelmingly to the bad side. A very nice, not over powering wine that would be fantastic on a summer Saturday afternoon after cleaning up the yard. I’ll be picking up some more for next summer.

Yes.

HV Sem needs age…I think early on they’re lacking in complexity and flavor…The really good ones are essentially acid+lemon water. Lower end/mid range HV Sems probably need at least 6-10 years of age under screwcap…Tyrrells Vat 1s from the early 2000s under screwcap are still a bit too primary.

You can also look at some of the riper versions like Lovedale…which is ready far earlier.

Hey Brian, I opened one of these last week, and like you it was my first Australian and (Hunter Valley) Semillon. Agree with your comments, as it is much brighter (acidic) than the softer Semillons that I recall from California tasted years ago. I understand these Hunter Valley Semillons transform themselves with several years aging. That said, I very much enjoyed this Brokenwood 2019 as it presented itself young, and would not hesitate to buy again to drink young. Cheers.

1 Like

Sold these for years, but young they are closer to water with lemon juice than wine, they are painfully bright, and have a crazy green tinge to them they are so young. At 10 and 20 years they pick up body, complexity, and nuance.

1 Like

I drink lots of Tyrrells Vat 1 and Lovedale. For my tastes they do t start to shine for at least 15 years and peak at 25.