Dishwasher rinse aid

For those of you who wash your wine glasses in the dishwasher? Do you use rinse aid? Do you purposely avoid rinse aid? Will it change the taste of wine?

Thanks,

Lonnie

Interesting. I was just thinking I should finally get some again. Haven’t had any in our Bosch for years now that the pucks apparently contain something similar. Now that I use it for my Zalto’s I notice some “residue” on the bowls after a wash. Thought I should add some specifically for cycles when I have stems in.

I don’t have an answer, just an interesting topic and I will be interested in people’s replies.

I am a wash by hand old guy.

I just rinse the glasses off after coming out of the dishwasher, then air dry.

I have noticed at times an aroma in glasses that have been washed in a washer. It tends to overwhelm the nose with a sort of mineral detergent thing. Maybe rinse aid helps to keep that from accumulating. Maybe it’s the cause. People around me don’t seem to notice it when I do.

In a couple tries with the dishwasher on my stemware here at home I have not noticed that smell and rinse aid is always used. I most always hand wash though.

Never had an issue. I’ve recently been using the house brands from Stop N Shop and Walmart.

I just sniffed the Walmart bottle and I get only a very faint plastic-like smell. I can’t imagine that that doesn’t evaporate quickly in the dry cycle.

FYI, if the mineral content of your water isn’t high, you may not even need one.

We have a Bosch and we use salt to soften the water. I don’t use a rinse aid and the glasses come out clean w/o water spots, but we use the heated drying. Usually, just a bit of water along the rim. Typically, our loads are partial and not very dirty.
You can also add citric acid but I haven’t seen a difference.

We have a Bosch (just a couple of years old) and put stemware in occasionally. They come out fine, no hint of residue or spotting. Very slight odour when they come out that goes away quite quickly. Nothing at all discernible when they are used.

I use the Miele-branded rinse aid in our Miele dishwasher and I have never noticed an issue. I have the amount set pretty low, but without it, we do get some spots (we also have the integrated water softener; using both is required for truly clear/clean glasses in my experience).

I found that the Cascade rinse aid gave every wine a natural wine funk. I stopped using it and don’t have any issues with spotting so that solved the problem and saves me some money.

I use the Seventh Generation rinse aid and very little detergent when washing wine glasses and have no issues at all. I do rinse out decanters that have a narrow neck by hand afterwards, but don’t bother with glasses.

We have yeti stainless and Zalto glasses. Both go in the Miele regularly. We have the water softener and use jet dry rinse aid and cascade all in one tabs.

When washing the Zaltos it’s generally on the China and crystal setting. We have never noticed a residue or smell from the glasses.

I notice sometimes there is a soapy residue on dishes coming out of my Bosch. We use rinse aid. When I pull the stems out, I always fill with water, swirl around, then dump and air dry.

+1 on this. I use rinse-aid and it comes out fine. All signs of odor, if any, goes away after a few hours. Never had an issue.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

Lonnie

I would never wash glasses in a dishwasher. The amount of heat they produce and the risk of the detergent infusing in the glasses which I have seen a number of times with wine club members.

I just wash them by hand with warm water and air dry.

1 Like

I should have added that the glasses which sometimes go in the dishwasher are our everyday glasses, Spiegelau Vino Grande (Red / Bordeaux / Pinot). The heavy crystal (Wateford and Stuart and Edinburgh, they are 35 years old, and some etched glasses and some older glasses 75 years +, and never go in.

Yes we use it and glasses come out crystal clear with no odors. Our dishwasher has a glass express cycle that is ideal for wine glasses. The only way we clean our Zaltos.

My restaurant Riedels which are my everyday wine glass show no sign of taint with rinse aid.

Yes, older, lead-heavy glass tends to cloud with repeated runs through a dishwasher. I haven’t had any issues with glasses I’ve bought in the last 20 years, though.