'78 Magdelaine and '79 La Dominique

I unexpectedly won more '78 Magdelaine on Winebid than anticipated a few months ago so I decided it was no crime to sample one bottle by myself.

I decanted and started dinner. Not much on the nose but I hoped it would open up with air.

And indeed it did as when I sat down to eat the scent of TCA was wafting freely from the glass.

As a backup I quickly grabbed a 1979 La Dominique (along with a fresh glass and decanter) a wine I know and enjoy. Unfortunately it was only as I was decanting that I remembered it needs about a half hour to open up.

Sure enough, it was unimpressive throughout my meal but became a lovely drink some time after I was done eating.

A bit more faded still than my last bottle about 2-3 years ago. Definitely on the downslope but possessed of the most beautiful silken texture.

2 Likes

I had the 1979 Dominique a couple times (a purchase at your suggestion, no less!) in the last few years and it doesnā€™t surprise me that it is on the downslope. While I donā€™t think that it will fall off a cliff, it strikes me as a ā€œdrink nowā€ kind of wine.

Of course, my bottles were acquired at auction, so YMMV.

Ugh. Hopefully TCA didnā€™t affect that whole tranche, or you, Alfert, and I are screwed. Between the three of us, I think we bought most of those bottles.

I thought he said he had been outbid? I might be misremembering.

Not to worry. If itā€™s corked heā€™ll mistake it for Chinon.

1 Like

Iā€™ll pretend to like it, write a flowery TN, rate it a 93.

I feel like popping an 05 for the holidays. Too early?

I had the Magdelaine a year ago. Not bad, has a little bit of the greeness so beloved by the Loire yaks, but still a good wine. Probably should not wait too long.

I got two of them as well [cheers.gif]

I got one as well and was thinking of pulling the cork soon. Will report back.

Fortunately, Iā€™ve never known TCA to cluster like that or had any reason to think it would be that way.

1 Like

Fingers crossed here.

Donā€™t have it, donā€™t think Iā€™ve had the ā€˜78, and hope I get to taste one sometime at the next get together.

And just for ironyā€™s sake tonight a 1979 La Dominique was corked.

Remind me not to open any really good wines until 2020 is over.