What to pair with Prum Auslese?

I have been buying a lot of Prum lately, and have been experimenting with dishes to pair. I don’t eat many desserts, but a traditional apricot tart was delicious.

A duck confit was ok with a delicious 2007 GK; I had hoped that the salinity and fat would pair with the sweetness and acidity. It fought to a draw. A lot of posturing but not much action.

2006 white cap Baked ham with pineapple seemed to work much better, but still not enthused.

2001 white cap with Skate with brown butter. No! no!no! Metallic and ugly. The butternut squash that accompanied was lovely.

Apart from the squash, which is semi sweet anyway, there has been very little interplay with the savory dishes. Any ideas?

Classics would include smoked river fish or venison.

Of course lots of options if you look East.

One of my favorites is pork schnitzel with spaetzle and mushroom gravy. I like it with a wide range of sweetness levels.

It’s always on my table with spicy Thai.

+1 for venison
I’ve actually found beef stewed for 24 hours to match very nicely as well.

Spicy Asian was my thought too. I seem to recall reading about a large WB group Riesling tasting in Las Vegas at a restaurant some years ago.

With a cheese course.

With biryani.

With a good book.

1 Like

I have successfully paired 2001 Prum WS Auslese with:

1. steamed trout;
  2. sushi/sashimi;
  3. friends and family.

Pork chops work great

Pork is always my first thought for riesling.

One thing that comes to mind is a wonderful pork and apricot stew that Brad makes to pair with Huet. I bet it would work great with Prum Auslese as well. You can ask him for the recipe.

I don’t have Prum nearly as much as some other producers, but other than bleu cheese, I like to pair GKA with hot wings or curry, with appropriate heat and boldness levels to balance out the Auslese. Now that I think of it though, the best pairing I had was a young GKA with a bleu cheese Flannery beef burger. That was heaven!

Eat more desserts!!! (fruit based not too sweet)

Perfect with many (most?) Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian etc dishes
Plus duck, pork, chicken, cheese… almost everything
Alone it is best though IMO. Drinking a GHGK now [drinkers.gif]
And that goes for all Prüm Ausleses

One of my favorite pairings here is with roasted marrow.

Highly marbled aged beef is excellent with Auslese.

Love it with spicy Asian food, especially Sichuan and Thai. Pairing with A5 wagyu is also excellent.

I find Hong Style food works well also.

Thai or Indian food for me. A good vindaloo with a young Prüm auslese is a great pairing.

Thai food and spicy seafood dishes have worked well for me in the past.

Not prum, but last night a half bottle of molitor zeltinger sonnenuhr ** gka 2005 was excellent with some pecan butter cookies I had made.