Which wine to pop?

Didn’t see a thread like this and thought it might be fun/worthwhile. I often end up going back and forth between which of two wines to open and am interested in which one board members would choose (you can add why if you like). Others in the same situation can post their choices here for feedback.

Tonight’s decision: 2004 Pio Cesare Barolo or 2016 Vietti Castiglione Barolo with Tuite braised short ribs.

This one has a short window since I will open the Cesare by noon EST today to let it breathe.

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

I think that’s one of the best things about CellarTracker. And, according to CT, the 2004 is drinking great — so, that’s where I would go.

The Vietti is very good and very much worth trying. But you’ll obviously get more of the full experience from the older wine.

FWIW, I’d probably shorten the decant to an hour or two. But, that’s me.

Thanks, Jim. I was leaning that way, but all the raves on the 2016 had me curious as I normally do not drink Barolo that young. I do check CT, but there is often a wide disparity in the notes and I don’t have a good sense of how their preferences align with mine; much more comfortable with where the posters here align.

I don’t want to sidetrack into a Barolo decanting-time discussion, but I have had good luck with 6-8 hours with older Barolos and haven’t had any fade on me yet. I do check in on it to see how it is doing.

I think of CT as a bigger version of WB — there are people of all sorts who post and I find you can sort out those you can trust. Will be interested to learn how the Barolo turns out. I usually err on the side of less with decanting. But, it’s probably out of habit as much as anything else. I’ve been bitten by wines shutting down before I get to them.

I’d open the '04 as well.

also would open the 04.

Thanks guys, Cesare in the decanter!