Offsite storage rack ideas

I use offsite storage and have a locker that is dedicated to easy access that I use to temporarily store bottles before boxing them up and moving to other lockers. It currently has cardboard tubes in it that hold two bottles end to end but they are collapsing after years of gravity. If I’m going to pull 300 bottles out and redo the inside, I want something that will last longer than a few years. Anyone have a good system?

I highly recommend the Wein boxes you can get at domaine. They hold up and work wonderfully. Makes it easy to retrieve individual bottles through the little door on the end of each bin too.

1 Like

I got some WnBx for moving my home cellar from one room to a new wine room. I now use about half for overflow from the racking on a couple of central carts. I also used some to support a reused counter top for a work area. [highfive.gif]

I will also throw in a vote for Weinboxes - definitely the most stable and space efficient solution that I’ve seen/found. The only drawback I’ve found is that the layout of my current lockers is such that to maximize the space I have to turn the Weinboxes perpendicular to the door, meaning that I can’t use the little doors on the end of the boxes and have to pull them out to access bottles. Still easier than solutions that I’ve used in prior lockers and much more space efficient.

We inboxes are nice but I second the issue about how their dimensions interact with your available space. I bought a bunch of the boxes without considering this. It ended up being really suboptimal in terms of utilising the available space. I ditched them in favor of Uline boxes (which wouldn’t be a solution in the OP’s case).

I like the Domaine flat boxes, this was a Fu suggestion. They’re no good for Riesling bottles, not sure if the Uline boxes could accommodate some Riesling bottles. Weinboxes are good for Riesling, I dot see the need for just one type of box.

I have a local unit that’s 3x5 and full height. I use a pair of these on wheels:
https://www.costco.com/trinity-ecostorage-5-tier-wire-shelving-rack-with-wheels-%2c-36%22-x-18%22-x-72%22-nsf%2c-chrome-color.product.11541206.html

Lay flat wine boxes or OWCs stacked 2 high per shelf and everything is pretty accessible. The unit is somewhat (1-2 years) temporary for me, so I wanted shelves I could repurpose. Weinboxes are great, but once I move into our new house with cellar racking they’d be wasted, and for 40/50 cases of wine the cost really adds up.

Being able to wheel out the front unit to access the back makes basically any bottle accessible within about 90 seconds. I just store packing tape and a box knife in the unit and I’m all good.