TN: 2018 Halcon - Petite Sirah "Tierra" Theopolis Vineyard (USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands)

2018 Halcon Vineyards Petite Sirah Tierra Theopolis Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (10/30/2020)
– decanted immediately before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: very savory — green olives; stems(?)

BODY: medium bodied; violet color of great depth.

TASTE: high acidity; stemmy (or something stems-like); zesty; very tannic; 13.8% alc. not noticeable; comes across as very cool climate; a very unique, fun, interesting, and composed take on Peitite Sirah. I’m very interested to see how this takes to age — it will be challenging to keep my hands off, however. Gut impression score: 91 – 94. Need to have another bottle to take a more careful look, as this bottle was consumed with guests, and my attention was largely diverted from the wine.

2 Likes

Brian

It is 50% whole-cluster. Definitely adds a lot of savory character.

Paul

Paul - I don’t have much experience with Petite Sirah and would be interested in your thoughts on drinking these. I have 2015, 2016, and 2018. Thank you.

Stephen

It is a wine that definitely benefits from 3-4 years to integrate and mellow a touch. Try that 2015. It will certainly have some tannin but should go great with a steak or stew.
If like me you can live with some (fine grain) tannin, the 2018 has a wonderful exuberance. The youthful fruit is quite exotic.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. As you know, I bought several of the 2018’s, so I will try one soon as I’m a fan of exuberance (except the irrational kind).

I didn’t know there was another kind:)

I cracked open a 2013 version of the Halcon Tierra PS about a year and a half ago, and was very pleasantly surprised at how approachable it was.

In contrast I have procured a few bottlings os Theopolis Vineyards’ own version and found tne same 2013 vintage to be more in the big brutish style. They will definitely rest for quite a few more years.

It’s the wonderful lifting whole cluster aromatics, which can make an otherwise structured age-worthy wine show well on release.

I think Ed Kurtzman’s first vintage was the '15, which are the first I have experience with. Lovely lifting savory aromatics on release. Haven’t had one with much age yet. The '13 Halcon and '14 Highlawn are showing well, evolving well. This whole cluster with PS thing is very inspiring to me. Haven’t had any other producers than these three getting all this savory complexity from the grape.