Perfecting the tasting notes

Tasting note is the main writing genre in the wine industry.

Is there a gold standard? What attributes compose the ideal tasting note for you?

I see a dilemma between the author and the reader. There are many obvious reasons why one would write a tasting note. Capture the impression from the wine, mental note, the way to structure own wine knowledge. Tasting note oftentimes works as the marketing tool to promote the wine, helps to sell it. It also can be a pure wine assessment following certain grid to evaluate the wine. All the spectrum from poetic to detailed technical sheets.

What about the reader? What are you looking for when reading others’ tasting notes? I find 95% of them banal and a complete waste. Limited vocabulary makes it hard to distinguish between the vast universe of wines out there. What is the added value the tasting note should bring?

I can only echo the quote by Nick Jackson MW on what are his criterias for good wine critique:
In depth knowledge of the region and its history
Descriptions of the character and true quality of the wine rather than just a laundry list of flavours
A willingness to take a stand on drinking dates, relative value and to call out underperforming estates
A sense of where a wine fits into the region as it is today
I would maybe add the factor what makes the particular wine to be remembered. It could be either emotional or rational or even both. But the key takeaway concluding the impression.

Please share your views on the the subject matter.

\

Originally posted on Wine Pages forum

Asked and answered: Sarah Kirschbaum’s answer prett much says it all for me:
https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3116298#p3116298

1 Like

Before your question can be answered, you must first answer the question, “Who is your audience?”

… that raises another question: are you talking about our notes, or others’ notes?

If you want to know how not to write a tasting note, be sure to check out the Critic Bingo thread.