TN: 1952 Mario Minuto Barbaresco

one of my favorite winter dishes is braised rabbit served along side and old Barolo or Barbaresco, and that is exactly what happened this evening. The rabbit was delish, as always, braised in red wine, onion, garlic, thyme, sage, mushrooms, and cranberries - falling off the bone tender.

The Minuto is spot on tonight, and exactly what I look for in old Nebbiolo. Opened early afternoon, slow-O’d for a several hours, then double-decanted. Color is quite light and translucent, with a significant orange hue. The nose just screams old Neb, with roses, violets, leather, cedar, and strawberries, and bursts from the glass - one of those intriguing noses that just keeps you captivated. Fully resolved tannins, this wine is soft and polished, velvety, with lifting acidity. Finishes short, but quite pleasant, an absolute delight!
IMG_5615.jpg

2 Likes

Damn. Just happened to have a 70 year old Barbaresco lying around… [wow.gif]

We raise meat rabbits and have them for dinner regularly. I’d love to get that recipe from you if you have a time. Thanks!

I had an excellent Barbaresco Minuto 1967 a few years ago …

hee hee, as a matter of fact, I did :slight_smile:. Had it standing up for the past couple months, just waiting for the right opportunity!

The rabbit prep is pretty straight forward, I break down the rabbit, then brine it overnight with salt, brown sugar, bay leaf, peppercorn. Next day, rinse, pat dry, then brown each piece in butter in a dutch oven, working in batches as to not crowd. Once nicely browned up, put it all back in the DO and add red wine, stock (chicken, pork), water, a box of mushrooms, 4-5 cloves of garlic, an onion (cut up in large sections), fresh sage, fresh thyme, a cup or two of cranberries, a bit of carrot and celery. Liquid to mostly cover the meat. Cook at 300F for 3-4 hours, adjust the temp/time to suit, this is obviously a VERY flexible recipe. Cheers!

Eric,

That sounds great! I am impressed that the recipe is so flexible , there are no measurements. My kind of cooking. I have never brined before, so that may be the most challenging part. I’ll try this next week and definitely let you know how it goes. Unfortunately, my Barbaresco might have to be around 55 years younger. [cheers.gif]