TN: 2016 A. et P. de Villaine Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Fortune

I am currently enjoying the heck out of (wallet friendly) red Burgundy and while on a buying spree I am opening whatever bottles in my cellar might be close to their drinking window. I find value within this context to be a funny subject as especially in France one can make incredible one-off finds while reliable QPRs that offer good value and are readily available year to year seem to be few and far between. These de Villaine Côte Chalonnaise wines seem to be pretty easy to find year in year out with prices that have remained relatively stable. This is my first red from them and I have to say I find it pretty damn convincing. Of course 2016 seems to be my favorite vintage ever all over France so likely when I grab the 2018 vintage of this wine I’ll find it overtly ripe and hot and end up pouring it down the drain.

• 2016 A. et P. de Villaine Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Fortune - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise (10.12.2020)
    Popped and poured at cellar temp, enjoyed from a large Burgundy bowl. There is abundant savory and bright, perfectly ripe red cherry fruit, surrounded by minerally and floral notes with what I find just the perfect amount of volatility. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but personally I tend to enjoy most the wines that possess this feature and have it fully under control. On the palate it has a medium body with great, lifting acidity and extremely appropriate, impeccably managed tannins that provide terrific grip. Overall the taste profile is savory and un-fruit forward despite there being no lack of fruit. Prominently featured are notes of minerals and forest floor, both which I quite enjoy. This has good amount of flesh but it does not carry much fat at all, being lean-ish and streamlined. Finishing with a delightful mouth-puckering sensation, this scores very high in terms of drinkability.

Posted from CellarTracker

These wines are great, the reds have a cool-ness to the fruit that always intrigues me.

Totally agree, Kris. I love Burgundy that has this type of crisp, pure fruit to it.

Very well put! Do you think there is any particular gem within the domaine’s five (?) reds or should I just buy whatever is available?

I have a good chunk of these wines and while they’re good, I personally feel like the aligote is the better value proposition.

The price on these has really been creeping up over the past 2-3 years too.

It has? I am still seeing good prices for various vintages of La Fortune and Les Montots (23-26 €).

I noticed that I’ve see the Les Montots priced in the $54 -$64 starting with the 2017 vintage. I picked up the 2015 for $39…but that was the last time I noticed it anywhere under $45

Not a ton available in the US, so limited on reds to Fortune, Clous, and Digoine that I have seen, Digoine being the one that can be a bit darker and brooding.

I’d buy what I could in Europe at the pricing there, unfortunately in the US, Kermit Lynch pricing is in effect in most markets, so wines that were $30 are now $55. Bouzeron and Rully LSJ are my favorite whites, but again we don’t see many options here.

Wow. I suppose some of that is due to the tariffs but still, pretty steep. I guess I better grab a few bottles of both 17 and 18 at 25 € a bottle when I still can.

I see - not the first time I see such drastic differences for Kermit Lynch wines compared to Europe by any means.

Thanks for the note here. Recently picked up some of the 2009 and I’m looking forward to seeing how it ages.

Jason, I don’t have any '09, but tried '10 and '12 earlier this year, both needed a couple of years for my palate but are drinking nicely. Obviously '09 was riper, but de Villaine usually does fine in warmer years, but I’d try one just for fun now if you have more than one just to get a pulse on it.

Appreciate the insight. I grabbed a half case, actually, so I’ll definitely dig into one for science soon!