Pierre Usseglio Mon Aieul fake 2016's ?

Hi All, I purchased 3 of the 2016’s from B-21, and noticed a silver square on the vintage, so I rubbed it off to reveal it’s a 2017, I know the 2016 is more desirable, but to pass off the 2017’s as 2016 is not cool, any feedback is this an authentic 2016?

1 Like

Wow, it’s like a scratchy lotto ticket, and you lost. At least it wasn’t a 2002 or something

Even more confusing is the label below that seems to indicate it may also be a 2018 vin de France???

whoa! What a bummer. I’m having flashbacks to a different B21 thread…

What’s with the 2018 sticker in the top photo? I see Usseglio also makes a cuvee unique (2018 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils L'Unique, France, Vin de France - CellarTracker) Hopefully it’s even a Mon Aieul, nevermind 16 v 17!

That sticker confused me too

I have contacted the winery to confirm they did that to their labels.

I wonder if they ran short of 2016 labels and had the printer overprint the vintage on labels they ran for next year. It was pretty common on France to have vintage-less labels on which the vintage was printed later.

I’m not sure how a counterfeiter could apply the layers once the label was on the bottle. Seems like that had to be one before the label was attached.

I guess the question is did that modification happen at the winery, at the retailer, or somewhere in between? I suppose it’s possible that the winery ran out of 2016 labels and found a way to re-use some 17 labels for the rest of their production.

That’s probably a very charitable interpretation, however. I’d reach out to the winery directly either in email or on social media and see what they have to say. If you do please post their reply – I’m keenly interested in what happened…

To me I feel they had an excess of 2017, and realized the 2016 are in demand, so they just made some modifications on the labels, but who knows.

I’d be very surprised if a winery of that standing faked the vintage.

Seems like a pretty baseless allegation to me

2 Likes

+1

The thing that stood out to me was the strip label, which is for a 2018 Vin de France!

Yes, and applied over the Mon Aeuil label ???

Usseglio makes an inexpensive vin de France called L’Unique.

JI would email Pierre Usseglio and ask about the label. There may be a straightforward explanation.And if the label isn’t something they did, you have a basis for getting a refund from B-21. If it is their doing, I’m sure it’s on the up and up.

I have contacted the winery, and to everyone, Every scenario has gone through my head, the bottle is consistent with their wine, so it’s not a Unique, in the end I hope it was as simple as they ran out of labels, but why use a newer vintage to make an older vintage? I don’t know. B-21 is checking it out also.

Is the cork branded with a vintage?

Great, so if you have already contacted them, why not just wait for their response and get the facts straight before throwing out wild conspiracy theories?! What’s wrong with people today?

It would be a very incompetent counterfeiter who (a) turned a '17 Mon Aieul into a '16 and then (b) added a '18 L’Unique strip label at the bottom.

Maybe someone on the labeling line had a little too much CdP at lunch…