Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Pat K

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#201 Post by Pat K »

Again, in memory of Patricia.

Patricia Green Pinot Noir Marine Sedimentary, Chehalem Mountains 2015

Second bottle of this wine. Crimson to pale brick red; medium plus legs. Aromas of red fruit: cherry and strawberry. Definite light toast and vanilla. On the palate, red fruit dominance continues; tannins are distinctly fruity. No minerality noted. Medium body, linear texture, medium plus finish, medium plus acidity. Jim had noted that Marine Sed requires patience. That we can do. We may target drinking as vertical, and maybe even decant the next bottle.

Jim, I have sent you a PM with the information requested. Thanks for your generosity.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#202 Post by Keith A k e r s »

• 2017 Arterberry Maresh Chardonnay Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (12/13/2020)
    Nose: The nose is fresh and balanced with lemon curd, apples, pears, jasmine, vanilla beans, saline, and a hint of oak. There is very good depth that really causes you to keep going back and back to smell it.

Taste: The feel is Medium bodied with tart, high acidity. The acidity is electric and youthful with lemon curds, apples, pears, jasmine, saline, and some oak notes.

Overall: This is a killer value. It brings a lot of fresh fruits with excellent depth and mouthwatering acidity. This could well use a few more years to fully come together but there is plenty to like right now. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#203 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: December 14th, 2020, 11:18 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 13th, 2020, 8:10 pm Sh**ty night at Chez Goodfellow:

2007 Evesham Wood Le Puits Sec
2007 Cristom Marjorie
2007 Matello Whistling Ridge

Really lovely set of wines. It’s funny to think of the perception of the vintage and the wines. They’ve filled in nicely, and all were just really wonderful to drink.
Quite a line-up! Thanks for sharing. The 07 Puits Sec has more life ahead? Still holding on to some 07 Cristom Jessie and Louise. Sounds like no rush.

RT
The Le Puits Sec was definitely the most open knit of the wines, and in a perfect spot. It took 10-15 to open up, and showed perfectly in the window. No drifting.

The Cristom and Matello are both at home waiting to be retasted tonight. It was really a treat to go 3 for 3 with these “sh**ty” wines.

It’s been amazing to watch the 07 wines gain weight and depth over past 13 years.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#204 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

2007 John Thomas Pinot Noir

Decomposing cork, never a great sign. I've had some previous funky bottles of this vintage/bottling. Roasted green and root vegetables, grilled mushrooms, sous bois and loam. The attack is integrated and bright with some mild tingle. Notes of sun-dried tomatoes, griottes and dried black cherries. Overtly ripe fruit was hard to find in 07 and it won't be found here. It shows quite Burgundian with a lack of sweet fruit flourishes. The structure is spot on with an acidic spine, cooperative tannins, good length and a long finish. Light on its feet compared to some of John's riper vintage efforts. The wine is opening up with time and raising its game. Thomas was another early member of the D.R.C., IIRC. Drink or hold, but I'd lean towards drink....better with food.
1214201738_resized.jpg
RT

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by Dave H. »

Two on subsequent nights. Would include pics but my phone doesn’t cooperate with the site.
2017 Vincent Brick House Chardonnay- A fresher take on the grape, this is listed as 11.6% and is all lemons and crisp apple. Very refreshing and a nice soup foil. Seemed to pick up a bit of weight on night 2. Probably the first BH white I’ve had and don’t know a lot about the characteristics. I have a 2018 that I’ll plan to sit on for awhile, I think.

2018 Ovum Gewurtztraminer Received some new Ovum today so someone needed to go. Like this a lot. Good weight but not oily, leans grapefruit more than lychee or roses. Tastes kind of like a salty dog cocktail, actually. An upper-level example of the grape domestically, I think. Free shipping by the case and some well priced rieslings and gwz on the Ovum web site for those interested.
Hendrik

Juliec
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#206 Post by Juliec »

2016 Goodfellows Family Cellars Pinot Gris - smooth light of the morning yellow. Clear wine with some light to medium viscosity and lanolin properties. High acid approaching chenin blanc, perhaps closer to sb and Chardonnay. Acid keeps it lively and slightest bit of earth/sulfur/petrol, keeps it in Pinot Gris character. Served at 50ish degrees, no decant or aeration. Fairly consistent, served with Mac and cheese. Would be go well with lightly flavored fish or chicken.
hong

Scott Tallman

#207 Post by Scott Tallman »

A few from the weekend:

2008 Matello Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir - Decanted for about an hour and drank bottle over 6+ hours. Nose was fairly muted, but some red fruits emerged over time. Dark cherry, pomegranate, currants, & menthol mixing with still present tannins and nice acid. Medium+-bodied with long, dry finish. While I enjoyed this, couldn’t help but think I’d opened it too young for my tastes. If someone had told me blind it was a 2015 or 2016, I would have believed it. Likely hold next bottle for 3-5 years.

2013 The Eyrie Vineyards Original Vines Chardonnay - Decanted for 30 minutes and drank bottle over 6+ hours. At every vintage Oregon Chardonnay tasting (hoping they resume post-COVID) this wine is one of my favorites and I wonder why I don’t buy more. While the past bottles I’ve tried (2010 - 2012) were balanced, this bottle leaned more towards tropical without going full-on fruit bomb or seeming too sweet. A touch of heat on nose and palate. The acid helped balance the fruit. Medium+ bodied with long, clean finish. I imagine this wine has many years ahead of it, although not sure if that time assures improvement or merely a plateau.
Attachments
F94C0C33-B7A4-4A4C-B15E-62AEA999DB0D.jpeg
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Graham Mears

#208 Post by Graham Mears »

Love PGC winery, beautiful wines, great people. Thanks David for making me open these! (all from 375 ml).

2014 Olenik Vineyard Wadensvil Block. Berserker Day purchase from a few years ago. 2nd to last bottle from a mixed case. Wish I had kept more of these from that offering as this was so good. Had over a few nights and each night was better. Previous bottle was in 2017 and I noted at that time I preferred the Etzel. This time, I think it is as good as the Etzel 3 years ago. I got mostly red fruits on the nose, slight acidity, and medium tannins that seem to be resolving a bit. This is in a great spot, but I wouldn't hesitate to wait longer given the improvement I've seen.

2014 Estate Vineyard Etzel Block. Also from mixed case as above. Beautiful Oregon Pinot. Makes me want to stop buying anything from CA anymore. Wish I had more of these, but happy to get a mixed case recently of some newer ones to age. Hopefully I can hold off on these to let them age more.

2016 Freedom Hill Vineyard - new acquisition, almost pogeba'd. Dark color, cherry, some spices and hint of smoke. I am going to let my remaining bottles sit for a few more years to see if I can get the same improvement that I got from the above bottles.
Attachments
PGC2.jpg
PGC 1.jpg

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#209 Post by Rick Allen »

We did another wine tasting Zoom dinner with the Passos last night, featuring 2008 this time:

2008 St Innocent Chardonnay Freedom Hill - A little funky straight out of the bottle (diacetyl), but improved with time in the glass. Mature sweet lemon and delicious apples, good balance. Tasty, but a little over the hill from my palate. I would have loved to try this 3-4 years ago.

2008 Brickhouse Pinot Noir Dijonnais - Dark and brooding in the glass, expressive blackberry and black cherry, concentrated but without the corresponding weight, good balance, very nice finish.

2008 Eyrie Pinot Noir Reserve - Garnet color, strawberries, raspberries, with rhubarb emerging over time. Similar concentration to the Brickhouse, very good balance, and very good finish. This wine started a little slower but blossomed with time in the glass.

I preferred both of these Pinot to the ones we had from 2007 several days ago. They both had great concentration yet impeccable balance. The differences between Ribbon Ridge and Dundee Hill was very evident in this tasating. While both of these wines could age longer, I would rather drink them before they're on their last legs, and for me, that means drink them soon.

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by ChrisJames »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 14th, 2020, 2:40 pm

The Cristom and Matello are both at home waiting to be retasted tonight. It was really a treat to go 3 for 3 with these “sh**ty” wines.

It’s been amazing to watch the 07 wines gain weight and depth over past 13 years.
The 2007 is not only a "shitty" wine, it is has great label!
Attachments
IMG_0064.JPG

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

2008 Cameron Abbey Ridge Chardonnay

Honeycomb, tropical fruit, cloves and confectioner's sugar. Prominent ripe yellow fruit and plenty of balancing acidity with barely a suggestion of sweet cream butter. Excellent length. Forget obvious oak and popcorn. Ripe, defined and in your face. A muscular, yet AFWE-ish Chardonnay. No heat (12.9% abv). Just as outgoing as the bottle I opened in September. I prefer more subtlety but this wine is ready to party with or without you.
1214201920_resized.jpg
RT

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by Mattstolz »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:32 pm 1998 Torii Mor Seven Springs Vineyard Pinot Noir:

Amazingly improbable journey for this to end up with me after what occurred. This came from the first harvest of what was then the new planting at Seven Springs. Some combination of Pommard and Dijon 115 but I only know that because it’s written on the back label. Super fine and silky texture. Initially smelled like older Barbaresco. The nose is caving in a bit and a little grass seed component is showing. The fruit mid-palate has lots of dark, sweet fruit. The finish has some pencil lead and the fruit thins out a bit but there is still some vibrant tannin to do the lifting in the back. It’s really nice actually. It’s comforting. It speaks to how good this vineyard was/is and the super old-school wine making methodology in action. I think anyone here would consider this a treat and it’s nice for me to have this bottle journey all the way back to me.

<Edit> This also smoked two Burgs. One a GC, the other a top, top 1er and both from highly regarded producers if from less than heralded vintages.
was this a wine that Kelley Fox made?

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Mattstolz »

ChrisJames wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:05 pm 2015 The Eyrie Vineyard Original Vines Pinot Gris

David Lett planted the very first Pinot Gris vines in N. America in the 1960s. This wine is made sulfur-free. It retails for $40, but I got a case of it for $19/bottle.

Golden green color with a slight haziness. Very complex flavors. It starts with fresh Anjou pears and some kind of exotic flower I can’t identify. But on the back end there is toasted hazelnuts*, and something like warm shoe polish, smells of an old bookstore, and perhaps even notes as if it was aged under flor. If that sounds weird, it is not. Really a tasty wine with lots of acidity and life left in it. Even without sulfur, I can see this going for a number of years longer. Very unique and enjoyable, but perhaps not for $40.

*Another Oregon food reference for Brig.

Jim Anderson, famous hater of “that weed” Pinot Gris, have you had this wine? There is nothing insipid or simple about this wine. Maybe the exception doesn’t make the rule, but still, it’s really nice wine.
I love these original vine pinot gris bottlings. they are so darn good

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#214 Post by Jim Anderson »

Mattstolz wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:22 pm
Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:32 pm 1998 Torii Mor Seven Springs Vineyard Pinot Noir:

Amazingly improbable journey for this to end up with me after what occurred. This came from the first harvest of what was then the new planting at Seven Springs. Some combination of Pommard and Dijon 115 but I only know that because it’s written on the back label. Super fine and silky texture. Initially smelled like older Barbaresco. The nose is caving in a bit and a little grass seed component is showing. The fruit mid-palate has lots of dark, sweet fruit. The finish has some pencil lead and the fruit thins out a bit but there is still some vibrant tannin to do the lifting in the back. It’s really nice actually. It’s comforting. It speaks to how good this vineyard was/is and the super old-school wine making methodology in action. I think anyone here would consider this a treat and it’s nice for me to have this bottle journey all the way back to me.

<Edit> This also smoked two Burgs. One a GC, the other a top, top 1er and both from highly regarded producers if from less than heralded vintages.
Produced and bottled by Patty. And me. We vinified the ‘99s too. Didn’t bottle those.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by ChrisJames »

Dave H. wrote: December 14th, 2020, 3:53 pm
2018 Ovum Gewurztraminer Received some new Ovum today so someone needed to go. Like this a lot. Good weight but not oily, leans grapefruit more than lychee or roses. Tastes kind of like a salty dog cocktail, actually. An upper-level example of the grape domestically, I think. Free shipping by the case and some well priced rieslings and gwz on the Ovum web site for those interested.
Right on! I love Ovum wines. For the last few years I've bought at least a case each of the Gewurztraminer and Riesling. I don't have the experience to say how they compare to old world versions, but these are frickin' delicious in their own right.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Brian Tuite »

Finally found an Oregon wine in the cellar. It’s a Berserker Day find as well!
  • 2014 Franny Beck Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/14/2020)
    From the first Berserker Day Franny Beck offering. This is really in a sweet spot right now. Light cranberry color with some slight bricking. Nutmeg and red licorice nose. Expressive blood orange and lanolin, fully integrated tannins, with some sandalwood and spice in the finish. Good acid balance, fun drink.

My girl Kona playing with her chew toy.
6755E5D7-4C41-4D08-A4EA-BAFEA8C52742.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#217 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

Here's another Pinot Gris for Jim! In all fairness, this isn't in the style he is thinking of at all. I love this wine.
  • 2019 Vincent Pinot Gris Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (12/14/2020)
    Wonderful orange/red color of very aged Pinot Noir. Nose smells funky at first, then there is a red apple rush. Palate has beguiling sable tannin and apple, with a hint of red fruit. Excellent.
Cheers,
Paul

J0seph S c h e n c k
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#218 Post by J0seph S c h e n c k »

A few more...

2002 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Hirsch Vineyard

My second bottle of this. Just awesome on the aromatic attack with mature Sonoma coast cherry somehow intermingled with beautiful loamy forest and wet damp vineyard earth. The marriage is fantastic with great acids and long savory finish. For my palate, its a contemplative soulfull wine that's got 3-5 more years. l love it. Well done Jim and Patty.

{Jim, can you give us the history on this wine? Any other vintages made with Sonoma Coast fruit?}

2011 Trisaetum Family Reserve Pinot

Popped and poured. Perfect cork. Faint aromatics that did not evolve with air over 6 hours. Flavors were on the red spectrum, impid and lacking concentration. The wine lacked structure; lacking acid and tannin supports systems were notably absent. The faint fruit was juicy and seemed fresh. Interesting and that's about it.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#219 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: December 14th, 2020, 3:13 pm 2007 John Thomas Pinot Noir

Decomposing cork, never a great sign. I've had some previous funky bottles of this vintage/bottling. Roasted green and root vegetables, grilled mushrooms, sous bois and loam. The attack is integrated and bright with some mild tingle. Notes of sun-dried tomatoes, griottes and dried black cherries. Overtly ripe fruit was hard to find in 07 and it won't be found here. It shows quite Burgundian with a lack of sweet fruit flourishes. The structure is spot on with an acidic spine, cooperative tannins, good length and a long finish. Light on its feet compared to some of John's riper vintage efforts. The wine is opening up with time and raising its game. Thomas was another early member of the D.R.C., IIRC. Drink or hold, but I'd lean towards drink....better with food.

1214201738_resized.jpg

RT
As recently as 2010 Russ Raney would have a table for Thomas at drc tastings, even though we all knew John wouldn’t come. He just liked to remind people that Thomas was a member.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Mattstolz »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:55 pm
Mattstolz wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Produced and bottled by Patty. And me. We vinified the ‘99s too. Didn’t bottle those.
well dang. I really need to find more TM with some bottle age. every time I hear something I wonder why I haven't heard more about them, fantastic people made those wines!

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#221 Post by Jim Anderson »

J0seph S c h e n c k wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:34 pm A few more...

2002 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Hirsch Vineyard

My second bottle of this. Just awesome on the aromatic attack with mature Sonoma coast cherry somehow intermingled with beautiful loamy forest and wet damp vineyard earth. The marriage is fantastic with great acids and long savory finish. For my palate, its a contemplative soulfull wine that's got 3-5 more years. l love it. Well done Jim and Patty.

{Jim, can you give us the history on this wine? Any other vintages made with Sonoma Coast fruit?}

2011 Trisaetum Family Reserve Pinot

Popped and poured. Perfect cork. Faint aromatics that did not evolve with air over 6 hours. Flavors were on the red spectrum, impid and lacking concentration. The wine lacked structure; lacking acid and tannin supports systems were notably absent. The faint fruit was juicy and seemed fresh. Interesting and that's about it.
Man, I’m using up all my good stories here!

2002 Hirsch Vineyard. That’s quite something. That wine is drinking better not than at any point it’s first 5 years in bottle when it was very stew-y. Came out of it.

Anyway, that wine represents sort of an educational touchstone for Patty and me. Or, maybe, something that truly affirmed the faith. We were and had been making single vineyard Pinots and while we were secure in the knowledge that they were good and unique, we weren’t as sure about was the why part. It seems quaint now but back then we simply didn’t know what we basically take for granted now as far as geology, microclimates, soil structures, etc. The question lingered a bit as to whether it was the sites or some unconscious activity that we were engaging in that led to these differences.

We happened to be banking at the same place and I had mentioned this quandary to our banker and posited the idea of getting some California Pinot to see what would happen. At that time plenty of Oregon Pinot was going down there (still does) but no one had (to my knowledge still to this day) as of 2002 made CA Pinot up in Oregon. We got hooked up with David and Patty flew down to meet him. Going into it he thought “this was a really stupid idea.” But if you ever met Patty and you ever met David you would know why this worked out. Two old school characters bombing around in his vineyard became friends and we ended up with a 1 acre block of Mt. Eden Clone that he was having a hard time selling. It was, fortunately, next to a block that Adam Lee was buying and although Patty flew down a couple/few times over the summer (yes, this was a bizarrely expensive endeavor) we were in need of someone to ultimately make the picking call for us.

It came in very early by the standards of the day, September 17th, and we hired a refer truck to drive it up overnight. It was very stringy looking stuff and really, really ripe. I’d have to go back and look at the numbers but for some reason I recall it being like 27 brix but that seems outlandish so I’m probably wrong. It was fizzy as root beer during secondary in barrel and never really seemed to develop in barrel the way we thought based on the fermentation. As I said, it took years to come around in bottle but it’s had a much longer life to it than I ever thought it would.

The thing that really made a difference to and for us was that, as you stated, it tasted like Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. That doesn’t seem or sound profound so much as it seems obvious but “making wines of place” wasn’t as easy a mindset back then. This wine confirmed that the way we were going about our business was eliciting that nature of the place.

Glad it was still drinking for you. I think we still have some at the winery to be honest. I know, because I was moving some stuff around recently, that I myself have a 3 liter of it.

It was a one-time deal. It would be fun to have maybe a 20 year run back on this in 2022! Anyone want to put in a good word with Jasmine for me?!

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 15th, 2020, 6:49 am 2002 Hirsch Vineyard. That’s quite something. That wine is drinking better not than at any point it’s first 5 years in bottle when it was very stew-y. Came out of it.

Anyone want to put in a good word with Jasmine for me?!
Cool story. No idea you had a connection to Hirsch going that far back. Enjoyed meeting David and Jasmine several years ago at IPNC. One of my preferred CA Pinot producers. Any idea who was making their Pinots back then? I remember Ross Cobb had a hand in it for a while (a restrained hand, relatively)...and the website indicates Jasmine is now head winemaker. Nice stretch for PGC!

RT

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#223 Post by Jim Anderson »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: December 15th, 2020, 7:20 am
Jim Anderson wrote: December 15th, 2020, 6:49 am 2002 Hirsch Vineyard. That’s quite something. That wine is drinking better not than at any point it’s first 5 years in bottle when it was very stew-y. Came out of it.

Anyone want to put in a good word with Jasmine for me?!
Cool story. No idea you had a connection to Hirsch going that far back. Enjoyed meeting David and Jasmine several years ago at IPNC. One of my preferred CA Pinot producers. Any idea who was making their Pinots back then? I remember Ross Cobb had a hand in it for a while (a restrained hand, relatively)...and the website indicates Jasmine is now head winemaker. Nice stretch for PGC!

RT
I think 2002 was the first year they made their own wine. Not sure. Pretty confident they made a bare fraction back then of what they make now and it’s not like they’re some huge winery these days. Patty was also the one going down there (and renting a convertible each time) so my connection was 100% the fruit while she knew the place and people.
Last edited by Jim Anderson on December 15th, 2020, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by ChrisJames »

2013 Vincent Zenith Pinot Noir

Nice rich color showing no ageing. A bit of dustiness and funkiness on the nose (think Cameron, not Bootsy Collins). This is followed by fatty salami and charred beef notes, along with ripe Himalayan blackberries. Still feels young on the palate with some grippy tannins and somewhat aggressive acidity. With a few hours of air, it takes on a rustic character with slightly overripe blackberries and raisins. It reminds me of a southern Italian red (Aglianico? Primativo?). I don’t mean that as a negative description, but it is a surprising profile for a not particularly hot vintage. Is this a Zenith character? This has life ahead of it, but I am uncertain where it will go from here. I think it may still have some integrating to do.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#225 Post by Jim Anderson »

Dupe
Last edited by Jim Anderson on December 15th, 2020, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corey N.

#226 Post by Corey N. »

Several months ago, I came across a tasting pack of Kramer Pinot, whereby they were highlighting the effects of whole cluster addition, starting at 0% and ratcheting up by 25% each time. Someone on the board is related to the family that makes these wines, so I figured, why not? Given the thread, I figured the timing was right to open them. I drank each glass separately, rather than comparing 5 glasses simultaneously (I Coravinned, so that may still happen).

The results were a bit surprising. I suspected I would see the gradual influence of whole cluster addition, but that wasn't the case. And while I enjoyed the experiment, I would not recommend except to do an experiment of this sort. There was a bitter note across the wines that made me wonder if phenological ripeness had been reached, particularly because these were lower ABV wines in a ripe year.

Prince of Pinot did a more thorough write-up on this and a similar experiment with 100% whole cluster wines from California: Kramer Vineyards 2014 Pinot Noir Whole Cluster Trial

[*]2014 Kramer Vineyards Pinot Noir Whole Cluster 0% - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (12/11/2020)
Mahogany colored with a reticent nose of red berries with an appealing sweetness. Tart red fruits with some green notes coming through; I would have though that there was at least some stem inclusion on this wine. Noticeably less bitter than the 25%, while the aciddity seems more prominent. Finish is moderate+.

12.4% alc., pH 3.51, TA 0.6
[*]2014 Kramer Vineyards Pinot Noir Whole Cluster 25% - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (12/11/2020)
Garnet colored with a dark red berry nose with the barest hint of green herbs and white flowers. The palate is dark red fruits and red apple skin with a savory herbal streak that has a bitter tinge that seems to build at the roof of the mouth. Appropriate acidity and tannins are mostly resolved.

The nose was exceptionally pretty, but the bitterness of the wine was a touch unpleasant. Drink now through 2024.

12.4% alc., pH 3.43, TA 0.74.
[*]2014 Kramer Vineyards Pinot Noir Whole Cluster 50% - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (12/11/2020)
Sangria colored. Aromas of red fruits intermingle with spice and floral notes and it ends up being pleasureable, albeit a bit indistinct. On the palate dark red fruit, that is with some tart notes (rhubarb/pomegranite) with some black licorice on the finish. The acidity and tannins seem to stick out more than in the 0% and 25% whole cluster wines.

12.6% alc., pH 3.80, TA 0.6
[*]2014 Kramer Vineyards Pinot Noir Whole Cluster 75% - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (12/11/2020)
Sangria colored with a nose of dark red fruits and white floral notes. Significant coaxing reveals some green herbal notes and spice. Dark red fruits with some black fruits intermingled for good measure. The flavors are more harmonious than when sampled two months ago. Acidity seems a bit more prominent, but it is well-integrated as are the tannins. A bitter stemmy/tar note on the finish detracts a bit.

12.9% alc., pH 3.73, TA 0.50.[/list]

Also, a shoutout to David, for his generosity. Well done.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Pat K

#227 Post by Pat K »

Toasted Patty, the Dakin Humane Society, David, and Jim last evening.

Patricia Green Cellars Berserker Cuvee, Willamette Valley, 2014

Another good bottle, and a good value! Ruby to crimson, medium legs. Aromas are fruit -dominant: raspberry, cherry, hint of strawberry. Also noted light toast, vanilla, hints of baking spices. On the palate, spices are enhanced, and toast is minimal. Medium body, polished texture. Finish is medium, acid medium plus. Definitely a weekend-quality wine. Will drink 1-2 bottles per year. Again, I agree with Counselor Hack that these Berserker Cuvees have great QPR. And per CT, it seems that 2014 may have been the last year one was offered. Hmm...what will 2021 Berserker Day reveal?

Sidebar: Dakin appears to have a program that provides pet food for families having a financial hardship. That is a service that several similar local charities are offering now, particularly for seniors who are now isolated. Great way to serve the community.

Thanks to David and to Jim for their ongoing generosity.

Mike Evans
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#228 Post by Mike Evans »

Here’s another note and picture of my own rescue:

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Wadensvil Block Estate Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/15/2020)
Tangy ripe cherry with dried tangerine peel and a little warm spice, nice slightly grainy tannin gives the fruit something to hold on to and the acidity is well integrated. It’s young but compelling. (92 pts.)
Attachments
A7E2EFD3-0599-4582-8C0C-1046A78E94E2.jpeg

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#229 Post by T. Melloni »

Need to get in before the lock.
Thank you David, Thank you Jim for your kindness.

Pulled a few PG wines over the past week.
First up is the special Cuvee. For the 2013 and 2014, I bought full cases. My wine interests (and wine fund allocations) have me buying 3 to 6 bottles of wine at a time. Case purchases are only made for parties, gatherings, or to give as gifts. So going in on case of a single wine is unusual for me.

2013 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Berserkers' Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/10/2020)
Pop and pour.
Tasted, re-corked, and tasted again the following day.
Dark ruby color.
Nose offers savory notes along with dark fruits.
This wine has taken on some weight since my last bottle, showing dark fruit and spice with a wet earth component.
Enjoyable.

Next was the Anklebreaker. This was different. If I tasted it blind, I might have guessed a grenache/syrah blend from a cool climate.

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir The Anklebreaker Block Olenik Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (12/10/2020)
Pop and pour.
Dark dark color.
Nose offers dark fruits and earth, with black cherry, blackberries, and earth.
The dark fruits continue on the palate. Shows an earthy side too with mushroom and beef blood notes. Has a nice full mouthfeel. Some tannins but nothing unwelcome. There is a savory beef blood/iron note and, oddly, a hint of prosciutto.
Delicious.
This has the richness and acidity and power to suggest a few years in the cellar will be just fine for this wine.

Next up was to taste two Wadensvil Blocks from different vineyards and different vintages:

2017 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Wadensvil Block Olenik Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/12/2020)
Pop and pour.
Tasted over two days.
Also tasted along the 2018 Olenik Vineyard Anklebreaker block.
Purple color.
Nose offers fresh red berries, some spice notes and a hint of pipe tobacco.
Good red berry fruits framed by brown spices. Good mouthfeel to the wine.
Delicious.

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Wadensvil Block Estate Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/13/2020)
Pop and pour and enjoyed with food (beef/pork meatballs roasted with tomatoes, onions and potatoes, in case you were wondering).
Nice shimmering purple color.
Nose offers cranberries, raspberries and a hint or rose petals.
Good fruit with ample acidity. There is a savory earthy element to the wine that compliments the fruit.
Enjoyable.

I know Jim makes a wide variety of Pinots from different sites and using different Pinot Noir clones. I am intrigued by these but often do not have the opportunity to taste the wines side by side to get a fuller understanding of the differences among vineyards, clones used or even the appellations. But I do so enjoy these wines. All well made and at a good price point.

and to use a Monty Python intro:
Now for something completely different:

2019 Kelley Fox Wines Nerthus - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/13/2020)
Opened and tasted over two days.
Wine had some tartrates at the bottom, that are likely the result of cold shipping weather.
Light gold color.
Beautiful floral nose that suggests a sweet wine with stone fruit picked fresh off a tree.
The wine is dry and steely with a bright citrus component.
While the nose suggest sweetness from the muscat, the flavor is steely, tart and citrus.

This is a blend of old vine Early Muscat (40%) and Grüner veltliner (60%). Label states 12.5% abv.

This is an odd but interesting wine for me. Liked the floral nose but the citrus and stone taste does not align with my personal preferences. I think this would be better enjoyed nicely chilled on a hot summer day.

And some pictures just for possible amusement and to show I need to clean the lens on my camera.
PGC 2
PGC 2
PGC
PGC
PGC
PGC
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines. . .

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#230 Post by Jim Anderson »

Thomas—Hey, nice notes. Deep dive on the Olenik Vineyard stuff. Good work. The Anklebreaker Block is one of the most unusual and, at the same time, most site specific wines we bottle. It’s really, really rocky there. Vines are still struggling and growing (not to mention walking) conditions are rugged to say the least. The 5 times we have bottled that wine since 2011 (11, 12, 17-19) the wine showed that “practically beyond the bounds of Pinot Noir character” that you reference. I love this bottling for that particular nature. It’s toughness is born entirely of where it comes from. It’s not for everyone for sure but for the right person this stuff is magic. The 2012 is just starting to come into its own.

AstridKG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by AstridKG »

WB day wine

2017 Chris James Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
This was a fruit-forward, black cherry and ripe raspberry. It has medium body and has a bit of spice / pepper. I should have waited a few years to open this: the oak would have mellowed out and made for a really nice balanced wine.

Below, my rescue shepherd-mutt with the vino:
A. K 3 3 L

CCoulson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#232 Post by CCoulson »

2013 Kelley Fox Maresh Vineyard Pinot Noir. Drank over two days. Classic Maresh mountain strawberry, with elegance, full of life and translucent beauty. Delicious, and light on the tongue, feels as if it just starting to gain weight and sophistication. Sediment in last ounce.

With KF I think of Michael Broadbent’s notes on DRC bottles in the 1960’s. In the early years the wines are lacking color, undeveloped, though fairly sweet, with lovely potential, and at thirty years become medium weight, fuller bodied, rich, powerful, tangy, with silky tannins.

Interested to see where it goes with the ages. Not to imply that these wines are going to become Burgundy, just that they have the quality and craftsmanship to make their own Oregon path.
Last edited by CCoulson on December 16th, 2020, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cr0mw311

Marshall Manning
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#233 Post by Marshall Manning »

Being my first year back to the board after a long hiatus, I haven't done this in the past, and didn't really catch on to this until today. I guess I thought it was some insider thing for WB royalty [berserker.gif]? Apologies, as I like the idea and would have popped something with some age. But with no time to stand up something older, I pulled:

2018, Vincent, Pinot Blanc, Willamette Valley - Forward nose of pear, apple, and banana, which I don't normally pick up in PB, along with a light floral and nutty notes. Nice, softer, supple texture on the palate. Flavors pretty much follow the nose, although more pear and less banana (is this a yeast thing?), a hint of bitter nut, and the bright green apple on the rear palate and finish helps keep it cleaner and more vibrant than you'd expect from the initial palate impression. Even with the banana, this is a really nice PB, although maybe a bit softer than the Championship Bottle version from the same vintage. This might age a few years, but I'd be tempted to drink it by the end of 2022 if you value the freshness and vibrancy as I do. Approx...88-89.
Marshall

Robert Ferguson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#234 Post by Robert Ferguson »

2016 Lingua Franca Bunker Hill Chardonnay- Bit of lemon/citrus and stone fruits. Good, but not really special enough to warrant the $50+ price. I’ve enjoyed the 2017 much more.

2018 IOTA Phyllis Rose- Getting close to a red wine in color and structure. Good for red wine drinkers that don’t like rose.

2015 Up Rising- A Champagne method sparkling from Grochau Cellars. A lean, clean, bright and fresh style. Loved this wine. At $28 it beats many of the $65 Sparkleings that have come on the market from Oregon, plus the proceeds go to charity.

2015 Maysara Immigrant Pinot Noir- Mostly cherry fruits, good acid for a 2015, not a lot of tannin. Again, a portion of proceeds go to charity.

2016 Red Electric Pinot Noir The Pulse, Armstrong Vineyard- Cherry and raspberry with some floral notes. A long finish. From Berserker Doug Ackerman, made by John Grochau. Drank it to soon.

2019 Big Table Farm Laughing Big Rose- Mix of red fruits, a bit of strawberry. Dark Salmon color. Really nice structure and mouth feel. My wife's favorite rose.

IMG_4390.JPG

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by ChrisJames »

2017 Walter Scott Cuvee Ruth Pinot Noir

I really liked the 2016 version of this wine and had high expectations for this vintage. Unfortunately, it is not ready to deliver. Very surprising vegetal nose of fresh nettles and broccoli along with new suede and a hint of sweet cherry liqueur (I’m thinking maraschino here). My wife actually got the smell of grilled shrimp. Medium bodied on the palate, it was not overly tannic, but had spicy oak and vanilla that finished astringent. Perhaps a few years will fix things. Surprised that we preferred the Le Combe Verte PN to this. One glass of this was enough, so we moved on to….

2018 PGC Riserve Pinot Noir

This is an easy “buy a six pack” every year wine. Two special things about this wine: a) Jim and Patty created this as a high quality wine for an average budget price, and b) it is the only PGC Pinot that doesn’t need a minimum of five years (ten years?) age to get in the sweet spot.

Big, dark purple color. Explosive grapey nose. Pure, dense fruit on the nose. Very clean and focused. No apparent new oak aromas (which I sometimes find on young PGC wines). Fairly medium bodied in contrast to the massive nose. An easy wine to drink without the need to regret drinking it too soon.
Last edited by ChrisJames on December 16th, 2020, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean_S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#236 Post by Sean_S »

All 3 of these were opened at the same time but the Maresh was ready to go on Day1. The Cameron needed to open and was best on Day 2 and the PGC was a beast upon PNP but was singing on Day 3.
  • 2014 Arterberry Maresh Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (12/16/2020)
    Brooding and Dark in the Grassl Cru glass. Tasted upon PNP and after a few hours in the decanter. Floral notes, ripe cherry, spice, and some dusty notes on the nose. Amazing ripe and bright fruit explodes on the front of the palate then quickly fades to earth and dusty tannins. The finish is short, but I really loved the burst of fruit and then how quickly it evolves on the palate. Certainly from a ripe year but had enough balancing acid to hold it all together. We had 2 other Oregon Pinots open, but this one was so approachable and yummy it didn't last 2 hours. Awesome Juice!
  • 2016 Cameron Pinot Noir Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (12/16/2020)
    The funk was a little strong on this one upon PNP but still enjoyable. Dark and concentrated but light with great balancing acid. Usually 24 hours in the decanter the funk will blow off. Not on this one, It remained strong and IMO was not enhancing the flavor as it often does with Syrah. Still an enjoyable wine but marred by a bit too much funk. This is a first for me on a Cameron Pinot Noir and I drank more than a few of them. Off Bottle.
  • 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Berserkers' Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/16/2020)
    This wine is a still a baby. Its big and concentrated with serious structure and tannin upon PNP. Put it in the decanter and revisited on Day2 (Getting there). On Day 3 it was ready to rock n roll. Dark Cherry, earth and some cigar box on the nose. Nice notes of strawberry, cherry, mushrooms on the palate. This is still a big structured wine that will benefit from another 10 years in the cellar. The finish is quite long with plenty of tannins, earth and acid. Acid is balancing but not in the forefront as it is on many of my favorite Oregon Pinot Noirs. Nice juice, but IMO the best is yet to come. Wont touch another one for 5 years. Glad I still have a handful of these left.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

Nate M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#237 Post by Nate M »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:39 pm
I could tell Four Winds Vineyard stories for hours. Seriously. I will attempt to quick take the one most relevant here.

We started farming FW in 1997. Farmed it through 2006 and kept buying the fruit through 2011. So, I know it well. It always had funk. Lots of times it smelled of anise and fennel in fermenter. It was never super fruit driven (the 2008 tastes like Nebbiolo actually). One day, probably back in the 2005ish era, we had a pack of UCD kids come to the winery. We barrel tasted and when we got to the FW I could tell there was some whispering and mumbling going on. I knew what they were thinking and talking about. I said, “what do you think (knowing what the response was going to be)” and finally someone chirped up and said, “we think it has Brett.” I took $100 out of my wallet and put it on the table and said, “I will run a panel on this and if it has an appreciable amount of Brett I will send you all $100, if not you only have to get $100 between you all to send to me.” There were like a dozen of them. No takers.

The difference between school work and winemaking.
Jim- I don't know you, but you seem like a real salt of the earth guy. Love the stories...keep 'em coming! Here are a couple notes of my own. My wife and Mother-in-law (who visits all the time) are on a Pinot kick lately so we have been having some over the past few months. Anyways, here you go for a couple notes of what we opened this week:

2018 Patricia Green Volcanic, Dundee Hills, 14%alc- this is much more full and has darker flavors when compared to the reserve below. More perfume on the nose and bright red fruits with darker notes as well. Smells fantastic, worth the price of admission alone. Cranberries, hint of white pepper/green bell pepper (stemmy maybe), and coastal forest. Taste is delicious with cherries and cranberries. Hint of chewiness (as it opened up a little more savory) and great acidity (especially on the finish). Beautiful food wine and mouthwatering finish keeps you coming back. Needs time to open up as the structure is there for aging. When you taste this after the reserve referenced below the tannins are obvious comparatively speaking.

2018 Patricia Green Reserve, Willamette Valley, 13.3%alc Strawberry and cherry. Candyesque nose that is simple and good. Mild acidity on the palate with some red fruit. Not too complex but great drinking. I suspect my mother-in-law will love this. Great, easy drinking wine. I love this compared to 99% of the pinots that we grab from Safeway when there is nothing else.

Thanks again Jim. [snort.gif] [cheers.gif] newhere
Attachments
IMG_8987.jpg
Nate Milnik newhere

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#238 Post by Jim Anderson »

Nate M wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm
I could tell Four Winds Vineyard stories for hours. Seriously. I will attempt to quick take the one most relevant here.

We started farming FW in 1997. Farmed it through 2006 and kept buying the fruit through 2011. So, I know it well. It always had funk. Lots of times it smelled of anise and fennel in fermenter. It was never super fruit driven (the 2008 tastes like Nebbiolo actually). One day, probably back in the 2005ish era, we had a pack of UCD kids come to the winery. We barrel tasted and when we got to the FW I could tell there was some whispering and mumbling going on. I knew what they were thinking and talking about. I said, “what do you think (knowing what the response was going to be)” and finally someone chirped up and said, “we think it has Brett.” I took $100 out of my wallet and put it on the table and said, “I will run a panel on this and if it has an appreciable amount of Brett I will send you all $100, if not you only have to get $100 between you all to send to me.” There were like a dozen of them. No takers.

Jim- I don't know you, but you seem like a real salt of the earth guy. Love the stories...keep 'em coming! Here are a couple notes of my own. My wife and Mother-in-law (who visits all the time) are on a Pinot kick lately so we have been having some over the past few months. Anyways, here you go for a couple notes of what we opened this week:

2018 Patricia Green Volcanic, Dundee Hills, 14%alc- this is much more full and has darker flavors when compared to the reserve below. More perfume on the nose and bright red fruits with darker notes as well. Smells fantastic, worth the price of admission alone. Cranberries, hint of white pepper/green bell pepper (stemmy maybe), and coastal forest. Taste is delicious with cherries and cranberries. Hint of chewiness (as it opened up a little more savory) and great acidity (especially on the finish). Beautiful food wine and mouthwatering finish keeps you coming back. Needs time to open up as the structure is there for aging. When you taste this after the reserve referenced below the tannins are obvious comparatively speaking.

2018 Patricia Green Reserve, Willamette Valley, 13.3%alc Strawberry and cherry. Candyesque nose that is simple and good. Mild acidity on the palate with some red fruit. Not too complex but great drinking. I suspect my mother-in-law will love this. Great, easy drinking wine. I love this compared to 99% of the pinots that we grab from Safeway when there is nothing else.

Appreciate the nice words and the wine notes. The Reserve is something we work really hard on and want to balance its pedigree with its capacity to drink early early. I think the 18 is pretty wicked.

Nate M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#239 Post by Nate M »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:31 pm
Nate M wrote: December 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Appreciate the nice words and the wine notes. The Reserve is something we work really hard on and want to balance its pedigree with its capacity to drink early early. I think the 18 is pretty wicked.
Yes, it is easy drinking right now.

Quick question Jim,

If I prefer the volcanic and I am an acid head. Which single vineyard of yours would I go to next?

Thanks in advance.
Nate Milnik newhere

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#240 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Hope I'm not too late. DW made some hearty Chicken Marsala and Garlicky Broccoli Rabe. Gave her the option of wine choice and she said Pinot Noir. Pinot it is

2018 Vincent Pinot Noir WV "Tardive": Decanted about 45 minutes, open blend of red fruit (cherry, raspberry), sweet herbs and bits of clove spice. Fruit forward but still with plenty of acid and some tannin to keep this knit together nicely. Very enjoyable now but can certainly develop more over the next few years. As with all of Vincent's wines, a silly good value.

Tom
PXL_20201214_022648704.jpg

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#241 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

I am already drinking Zinfandel (Ridge Pagani Ranch), but we’ll count it Tom.

With matching and folks who made their own contributions, we are well over $3K for cats and dogs, which is honestly WAY MORE than I ever expected. Thanks everyone!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by Max S. »

Thank you David! Gave me a chance to get a taste of some of the bottles we got in Oregon and the charitable cause made me feel okay about killing the babies!
5 w 0 m l 3 y

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#243 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Max S. wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:48 pm Thank you David! Gave me a chance to get a taste of some of the bottles we got in Oregon and the charitable cause made me feel okay about killing the babies!
You’re welcome, though killing babies isn’t exactly what I was going for. ;)

Scott Tallman

#244 Post by Scott Tallman »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:37 pm I am already drinking Zinfandel (Ridge Pagani Ranch), but we’ll count it Tom.

With matching and folks who made their own contributions, we are well over $3K for cats and dogs, which is honestly WAY MORE than I ever expected. Thanks everyone!
That’s great news! Thanks again, David!
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#245 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Special thanks to Jim, whose crazy generous offer surely exploded the thread.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by Max S. »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:57 pm Special thanks to Jim, whose crazy generous offer surely exploded the thread.
Marcus too - I don't want to try counting how many of these are Deep Roots winemakers!
5 w 0 m l 3 y

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#247 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Yes indeed!!!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:37 pm I am already drinking Zinfandel (Ridge Pagani Ranch), but we’ll count it Tom.

champagne.gif flirtysmile [highfive.gif] grouphug [winner.gif] [dance-clap.gif]
Well done David
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#249 Post by Tom DeBiase »

Thanks David, fantastic work!!

Tom

CCoulson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#250 Post by CCoulson »

2008 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Beaux Frères Vineyard Pinot Noir. Ribbon ridge nose, if that means anything. Slight CO2 that disappears quickly. Cherry and raspberry, smooth tannins, long finish, with elegance, gracefully aging. Sediment well formed at the bottom. I know many stay away from Beaux Freres because of the not so silent partner, the wines I have enjoyed from 2005 -2008, after Mike Etzyl went biodynamic, are lovely and restrained. YMMV.
Cr0mw311

Return to “Wine Talk”