Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#151 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

brigcampbell wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:05 pm David, since I didn't sponsor a week this year I'll help cover the cost. After it's all over I'll venmo you.

Bring it kids! Make it hurt.
No worries. I got it. Feel free to chip in some for the pets if you want.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#152 Post by brigcampbell »

This was a berserkerday wine from last year but this bottle was gratis from Marcus.
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (12/12/2020)
    Color has a pinch of green swirled around the medium light yellow.

The aromas sure smell like a white burgundy, great wine for a blind tasting . Has wet stone and a little flint and a touch of petrol on the back end. Still there the next day. Bravo.

A lot of green apple on the attack. The mouth feel has a bit of glycerin but it's quite nimble on the palate because of the medium plus acidity. There's a hint of menthol at the finish, leave that cool feeling in your mouth.

Excellent.
Posted from CellarTracker

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#153 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

brigcampbell wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:14 pm This was a berserkerday wine from last year but this bottle was gratis from Marcus.
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (12/12/2020)
    Color has a pinch of green swirled around the medium light yellow.

The aromas sure smell like a white burgundy, great wine for a blind tasting . Has wet stone and a little flint and a touch of petrol on the back end. Still there the next day. Bravo.

A lot of green apple on the attack. The mouth feel has a bit of glycerin but it's quite nimble on the palate because of the medium plus acidity. There's a hint of menthol at the finish, leave that cool feeling in your mouth.

Excellent.
Glad to see you picked up on the flint. I have been noticing it more often in Oregon Chard than in Cali Chard. I wonder why.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by Lee Short »

For lunch, I had a sandwich of spicy coppa, fresh mozz, onion, and pickled banana peppers. To accompany it, I grabbed a 2017 Biha Andreas Vineyard Gewurtraminer rose. The wine is well-balanced, with spicy, waxy notes and a bit of an apricot fruit profile running underneath it. The finish is long and pleasant. If I had to find a fault, it would be that there's a bit of a hole in the middle, between the attack and the finish. That's picking nits, though -- it's just the teeniest bit of a hole. The richness of the wine was a great match for the mozzerella in the sandwich, and the spice of the gewurtz stood up well to the spice in the coppa. Fantastic value on this wine, but I can't recall the actual price off the top of my head.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#155 Post by Jim Anderson »

1998 Torii Mor Seven Springs Vineyard Pinot Noir:
30517FF3-1EF3-447E-B43E-3D88DC8DB467.jpeg
Amazingly improbable journey for this to end up with me after what occurred. This came from the first harvest of what was then the new planting at Seven Springs. Some combination of Pommard and Dijon 115 but I only know that because it’s written on the back label. Super fine and silky texture. Initially smelled like older Barbaresco. The nose is caving in a bit and a little grass seed component is showing. The fruit mid-palate has lots of dark, sweet fruit. The finish has some pencil lead and the fruit thins out a bit but there is still some vibrant tannin to do the lifting in the back. It’s really nice actually. It’s comforting. It speaks to how good this vineyard was/is and the super old-school wine making methodology in action. I think anyone here would consider this a treat and it’s nice for me to have this bottle journey all the way back to me.

<Edit> This also smoked two Burgs. One a GC, the other a top, top 1er and both from highly regarded producers if from less than heralded vintages.
Last edited by Jim Anderson on December 13th, 2020, 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by ChrisJames »

2018 Violin WV Chardonnay

Will worked/studied at Walter Scott before starting his own Eola Amity focused winery. He joined Berserker Day for the first time last year. Don’t miss him this year. He is a tiny winery and makes impressive PN and Chardonnay. This is his entry level Chardonnay for $25.

Lovely pale gold “champagne” color. Scents of fresh cut baking apples (Chehalis or Mackentosh), pineapple, coconut, honeysuckle blossom, and flinty reduction. More of the same on the palate with flinty tartness. Very nice stuff. Somewhat like a WS Chardonnay without the new oak presence.

The regal exquisite beauty is Yang, whom we rescued eight years ago when she was eleven months old. She had a sister named Yin who had already been adopted. I ask her wine buying advice (usually quantity) and she gives me a “yea or nay” look. It’s turned out pretty well. I don't recall her ever saying nay.
Attachments
Yang.jpg

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by Chris Seiber »

Cameron Clos Electrique 2011

This is, maybe not quite “extreme” because that sounds like a criticism I don’t intend, but it’s out on one end of the spectrum as far as any detectable sweetness to the fruit. 12.5% alcohol.

Yet it has concentration and character — it’s just somehow the essence of cherry and strawberry with almost no glucose. A hint of bay leaf, watery mineral, and some citrus peel towards the finish.

I think this would appeal to some of the more strident AFWEers around here. I’d love a touch more ripeness and some spice or other complexity, but it’s a good wine in its own way, and I can appreciate it.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Chris Seiber »

68B93252-A68E-43E4-80B0-96CE1FC5A722.jpeg

J a y H a c k

#159 Post by J a y H a c k »

• 2013 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Berserkers' Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/12/2020)
    For the weekly wine challenge to benefit the Daikin Humane Society. Pop and pour and follow for 3 hours. An excellent wine, but available only to Berserkers! Bright red fruit and interesting citrus-like acidity on the back of the palate that makes the wine seems very fresh and bright. Color was light when poured but got darker as the evening wore on. Nose is muted with a bit of alcohol aroma and a floral component that I cannot identify. No pinot funk/cola flavors, which is why I am reaching the conclusion that I like the average Oregon pinot more than the average Cali pinot, because I am not a fan of the funk. There are plenty of outstanding Cali pinots that I love, but I'm talking "average" and I find that annoying component much less prevalent in Oregon pinot. This wine has miles to go before it is over the hill and I suspect that it will get better before it gets worse. PS - a real bargain when the winery needed to move inventory and offered it to Berserkers at a price equal to what it would have gotten from wholesalers and sold out almost immediately. (91 pts.)
Pat Green Wine photo.jpg
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by James Lyon »

2002 Patricia Green Cellars Goldschmidt Pinot

The color is still vibrant with no sign of bricking. Nose is earthy, mushroom, forest floor. Still very acidic, so a great pairing with dinner. Darker fruit profile. Very intense. Look forward to trying again tomorrow. Wonderful example of aged Oregon Pinot. The Goldschmidt Vineyard is now the Winderlea Vineyard.

2017 Resonance Hyland Chardonnay

My first experience with Resonance Chardonnay. It lacked the piercing minerality of a Goodfellow or Walter Scott Chardonnay, but it was enjoyable. A lot of the same descriptors in a rounder style.
IMG_1824 WB.jpg

Sean_S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#161 Post by Sean_S »

2 really enjoyable wines. Different styles but couldn't pick a favorite. Both are drinking nicely and have very long lives ahead of them. Kudos Jim and Marcus!
  • 2016 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/12/2020)
    Tasted over 2 days after 4 hours in decanter in a Grassl Cru glass. Rich darker burgundy color in the glass. Dark Cherry, strawberry and hints of pomegranate, and some earth on the nose. The palate leads with rich dark cherry and coffee and then followed by the lighter strawberry notes with hints of pomegranate. Nice rich mouthfeel throughout. No noticeable oak with the med finish. The layers of fruit, earth, and tannin play nicely in this wine. 14.1% ABV. Wine is still very youthful but drinking well. No hurry to drink up. Drink now or hold. Wine held up great in decanter for 2 days. Last glass was a fresh and tasty as the first.
  • 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/12/2020)
    Med translucent burgundy in the glass. Tasted in Grassl Cru after 4 hours in the decanter over a 2 day period. I get tons of strawberry on the nose with hints of orange peel and mushroom. Upon PNP, the wine was light in weight with nice Strawberry and cherry notes with that orange peel in the mix. Great bracing acidity through with really nice fine tannins playing with the acid on the finish. After 2 days in the decanter, it picked up weight and heft in the palate—nice notes of tobacco and cigar box along with the fruit on the nose. The palate is similar but with more heft. Getting more earth and even a hint of coffee on the med finish. Tastes a bit lighter than its indicated 13.8% ABV. Hard to believe this is $20 Pinot Noir.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#162 Post by Jim Anderson »

James Lyon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm 2002 Patricia Green Cellars Goldschmidt Pinot

The color is still vibrant with no sign of bricking. Nose is earthy, mushroom, forest floor. Still very acidic, so a great pairing with dinner. Darker fruit profile. Very intense. Look forward to trying again tomorrow. Wonderful example of aged Oregon Pinot. The Goldschmidt Vineyard is now the Winderlea Vineyard.

2017 Resonance Hyland Chardonnay

My first experience with Resonance Chardonnay. It lacked the piercing minerality of a Goodfellow or Walter Scott Chardonnay, but it was enjoyable. A lot of the same descriptors in a rounder style.

IMG_1824 WB.jpg
Blast from the past! That was our first of 5 vintages of Goldschmidt (we had 2 vintages of Winderlea). These were the 1974 and 1975 plantings so even way back then they were legitimately mature plants. Warm site. Which is a little weird but that hillside you could write a whole book about so there’s that. That wine had the longest, fizziest secondary fermentation I can remember. Untasteable for months in barrel. Glad it held its own. Think we would have had a different approach to that fruit these days. Good stories there, too. Anyway, like it when the old school stuff hangs in there!

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#163 Post by Jim Anderson »

Sean_S wrote: December 12th, 2020, 8:08 pm 2 really enjoyable wines. Different styles but couldn't pick a favorite. Both are drinking nicely and have very long lives ahead of them. Kudos Jim and Marcus!
  • 2016 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/12/2020)
    Tasted over 2 days after 4 hours in decanter in a Grassl Cru glass. Rich darker burgundy color in the glass. Dark Cherry, strawberry and hints of pomegranate, and some earth on the nose. The palate leads with rich dark cherry and coffee and then followed by the lighter strawberry notes with hints of pomegranate. Nice rich mouthfeel throughout. No noticeable oak with the med finish. The layers of fruit, earth, and tannin play nicely in this wine. 14.1% ABV. Wine is still very youthful but drinking well. No hurry to drink up. Drink now or hold. Wine held up great in decanter for 2 days. Last glass was a fresh and tasty as the first.
  • 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/12/2020)
    Med translucent burgundy in the glass. Tasted in Grassl Cru after 4 hours in the decanter over a 2 day period. I get tons of strawberry on the nose with hints of orange peel and mushroom. Upon PNP, the wine was light in weight with nice Strawberry and cherry notes with that orange peel in the mix. Great bracing acidity through with really nice fine tannins playing with the acid on the finish. After 2 days in the decanter, it picked up weight and heft in the palate—nice notes of tobacco and cigar box along with the fruit on the nose. The palate is similar but with more heft. Getting more earth and even a hint of coffee on the med finish. Tastes a bit lighter than its indicated 13.8% ABV. Hard to believe this is $20 Pinot Noir.
Nice duo. That would be a big contrast!

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#164 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm
James Lyon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm 2002 Patricia Green Cellars Goldschmidt Pinot
Blast from the past! That was our first of 5 vintages of Goldschmidt (we had 2 vintages of Winderlea). These were the 1974 and 1975 plantings so even way back then they were legitimately mature plants. Warm site. Which is a little weird but that hillside you could write a whole book about so there’s that. That wine had the longest, fizziest secondary fermentation I can remember. Untasteable for months in barrel. Glad it held its own. Think we would have had a different approach to that fruit these days. Good stories there, too. Anyway, like it when the old school stuff hangs in there!
Seems like tons of subtle differences on that slope from Cameron to Maresh and Bella Vida. Is the south side of Worden Hill Road simply more challenging?

RT

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#165 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:32 pm 1998 Torii Mor Seven Springs Vineyard Pinot Noir:

Amazingly improbable journey for this to end up with me after what occurred. This came from the first harvest of what was then the new planting at Seven Springs. Some combination of Pommard and Dijon 115 but I only know that because it’s written on the back label. Super fine and silky texture..... It’s really nice actually. It’s comforting. It speaks to how good this vineyard was/is and the super old-school wine making methodology in action. I think anyone here would consider this a treat and it’s nice for me to have this bottle journey all the way back to me.
<Edit> This also smoked two Burgs. One a GC, the other a top, top 1er from highly regarded producers of from less than heralded vintages.
That's an impressive rarity! Thanks for sharing. I've only got a few 7 Springs left (Bethel Heights, Evesham and St. I) plus a couple of Evening Lands.

RT

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#166 Post by Jim Anderson »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: December 13th, 2020, 6:12 am
Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm
Seems like tons of subtle differences on that slope from Cameron to Maresh and Bella Vida. Is the south side of Worden Hill Road simply more challenging?

RT
It’s a fairly vast area that, as you know, might be the most densely planted section of land in Oregon. The topography is crazy there with not only significant elevation changes in tight spaces there are multiple aspects and significant micro-climates. Vineyards there also have some unusual shapes and contours. Look at Maresh Vineyard as a huge example of non-contiguous blocks forming a single site. I have worked with fruit from five vineyards (Weber, Arcus, Goldschmidt/Winderlea, Lillie’s and Murto) and they’re all completely different from one another. Throw in significant sites like Abbey Ridge, Maresh, Clos Electrique, Le Pavillon, Charlie’s, Erath, Powell Hill, Niederberger, Oracle and others and you have a significant chunk of Oregon vineyard history all on one road but with incredible diversity across them. Seriously, a deep dive on just this road’s producers, history and current production let alone the wines would be a significant undertaking.

J e s s e C

#167 Post by J e s s e C »

Thanks for doing this. Introduction to great Oregon producers has been one of the highlights of this board. The winemaker participation is a huge part of that, which has continued on this thread.

Here are a first two from Patricia Green and Twill. Twill, by the way, has performed really well for me this past year. Everything from the $20 entry chard to this single vineyard one below have been very good, as have been the syrahs. I’d say, these wines from Twill, along with Brick House chard, are my top personal Oregon discoveries for the year.

Have pulled a Walter Scott, Vincent, and Goodfellow as well and will see what we can get to this week to further support the cause.

2016 Twill Cellars Chardonnay Molly's Vineyard Willamette Valleys - 12/12/2020 -
Great Oregon chard. On first opening right out of fridge, smell and tastes noticeably of yeast and bread. Almost like some champagnes. With air and at a more appropriate temperature, that fades away. Wine is slightly reductive, floral, mineral, lemon. Touch of caramel or nuttiness. What seems like good weight and extract. dry persistent finish. Very happy with this wine.

2013 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Berserkers' Cuvée Willamette Valley - 12/12/2020 -
Last bottle of a case. Fruit driven aromatics. Tastes primarily of cherries, with a bit of warm earth / mushroom. Maybe a touch of cola. Back end reveals some spice and perhaps a bit of dried orange zest. Ripe but balanced. A tiny bit of perceived alcohol at the end, but otherwise a nice drink.
j c h e n g

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#168 Post by James Lyon »

Jim A., if you are doing some light reading this afternoon, do you have a tasting note preference between 1994 Torii Mor Reserve Pinot, 2000 PGC Estate Pinot or 2000 PGC Balcombe Pinot. Perhaps the 2000 PGC Balcombe as a comparison to the 1999 Torii Mor Balcombe that was rocking last Sunday night.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#169 Post by Jim Anderson »

James Lyon wrote: December 13th, 2020, 10:58 am Jim A., if you are doing some light reading this afternoon, do you have a tasting note preference between 1994 Torii Mor Reserve Pinot, 2000 PGC Estate Pinot or 2000 PGC Balcombe Pinot. Perhaps the 2000 PGC Balcombe as a comparison to the 1999 Torii Mor Balcombe that was rocking last Sunday night.
94 TM Reserve, eh? That’s some dedication. That’s one block from Olson Vineyard from a piece planted as the Old McDaniel Vineyard in 1972. Can’t imagine what that’s like but the 98 was way better than I imagined last night. I would see be curious but I would have a back up bottle at the ready, too.

Pat K

#170 Post by Pat K »

It seemed like I had just bought my first half-case of PGC when I got the sad news about Patricia. So in her memory I'm happy to post and to support the Dakin Humane Society.

Patricia Green PN Marine Sedimentary, Chehalem Mountains 2015

Crimson to garnet; a few bubbles on the rim. Medium legs. Aromas of red fruit and the earth: cherry most dominant, a bit dusty, hints of raspberry, mushroom, vanilla, light toast and stems. On the palate, red fruit dominance continues but that hint of earthiness is still there. Medium body, linear texture, medium plus finish, medium plus acidity. Impression: subtle yet distinct complexity, interesting effort. Have more bottles and it will be interesting to see how this evolves over time.

Patricia Green Cellars Berserker Cuvee, Willamette Valley, 2014

Ruby to crimson, medium legs. Aromas are fruit and spice-dominant: raspberry, cherry, hint of prune, medium toast, oak, vanilla, cinnamon, hint of clove, Herbs de Provence a bit of tea. On the palate, fruits continue, spices are enhanced, and toast/oak are minimal. Medium body, linear and polished texture. Finish is medium, acid medium plus. A varietally correct, balanced, and complex wine. Keeps drawing you back. Compelling. Fine to drink now, but has potential to last another 3 to 4 years. As Jay noted, the Berserker deals are quite the value IMHO.

Jim: I will send you a PM with further information. Please respond via PM. Thanks!

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#171 Post by Vincent Fritzsche »

Somehow just finding this thread, goodness lots of great stuff here. I’ll join in but just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration David and all the great notes everyone!
Vincent - ITB

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#172 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

Had this Gamay last night.
  • 2018 Vincent Gamay Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/12/2020)
    This is a wine that speaks very much of Gamay. Dark red color. Herbal aromatics. Palate is herbal with earth and mild red fruits. Seems like it will continue to age nicely. Excellent. (90 pts.)
IMG_20201212_193639635_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20201212_202804066_PORTRAIT.jpg
Cheers,
Paul

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#173 Post by Bob Hughes »

We’ve got some baked Salmon for dinner tonight, so I opened up two 2016 Chardonnays from Marcus, the Richard’s Cuvee and the Durant vineyard.

In certain vintages I have difficulty picking a favorite between these two wines, but tonight there’s no contest - the Richard’s is crisp and focused on the palate, with lively acidity. I’ve had both of these wines multiple times since their release, so i can’t recall right now if I have always felt the Richard’s was superior, but it is clearly in the zone right now.

Which is not to say that I would kick the Durant out of bed for eating crackers, but tonight it is a clear step behind the other wine [cheers.gif]

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#174 Post by Jud Reis »

2015 Franny Beck Pinot Noir Johan Vineyard - Berserker day purchase. Popped and poured at cellar temp. Dark earth, Sweet Asian spices and spicy underbrush on the nose. Nice balance of sweet dusty black cherry fruit and acidity with tannic structure that is resolved but very present. Really in a lovely spot 5 years out with some room to continue to improve.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by brigcampbell »

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote: December 13th, 2020, 12:55 pm Had this Gamay last night.
    This is a wine that speaks very much of Gamay. Dark red color. Herbal aromatics. Palate is herbal with earth and mild red fruits. Seems like it will continue to age nicely. Excellent. (90 pts.)
Nice. The 2016 bjornson is one of the best wines I've ever tasted. Probably top 10.

Blind, it took down Kutch, William Selym, Beaux Frere and a couple others.

Damn near perfect.

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#176 Post by Todd Hamina »

That makes sense Brig, as Vincent is a defender of the faith.
Co-Owner at Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Mike Evans
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#177 Post by Mike Evans »

Tonight’s cold fried chicken called for a Chardonnay and Vincent delivered:

2014 Vincent Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/13/2020)
The medium-bodied white fruit with a lemon twist, minerality, salinity, and tangy acidity are very reminiscent of a good Jura ouillé Chardonnay. Delicious and an outrageous value. (91 pts.)

And in honor of the cause, my own rescued Furkid:
Attachments
DCAFE4D0-8FA2-4A57-B3EA-0F6ABBD554B3.jpeg

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by James Lyon »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 13th, 2020, 11:28 am
James Lyon wrote: December 13th, 2020, 10:58 am Jim A., if you are doing some light reading this afternoon, do you have a tasting note preference between 1994 Torii Mor Reserve Pinot, 2000 PGC Estate Pinot or 2000 PGC Balcombe Pinot. Perhaps the 2000 PGC Balcombe as a comparison to the 1999 Torii Mor Balcombe that was rocking last Sunday night.
94 TM Reserve, eh? That’s some dedication. That’s one block from Olson Vineyard from a piece planted as the Old McDaniel Vineyard in 1972. Can’t imagine what that’s like but the 98 was way better than I imagined last night. I would see be curious but I would have a back up bottle at the ready, too.
Hahaha. We've met before right? I'm just teasing. No on the dedication. I graduated high school in 1994 at 17.

As you and others know, I'm an ardent supporter of Oregon wines and foolishly take calculated risks on wines at auction. Thankfully, I've been fortunate on a majority of the wines.

Back to the 1994 Torii Mor Reserve Pinot, it's still alive! I opened the bottle around 4PM and it's kicking. I kinda fudged the opening because my ah so was not downstairs. The cork was very soft and actually about 1/4 inch of the bottom cork separated from the remaining cork, so I pushed the cork into the bottle. First taste was very good. More notes shortly.

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#179 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

brigcampbell wrote: December 13th, 2020, 3:25 pm
P@u1_M3nk3s wrote: December 13th, 2020, 12:55 pm Had this Gamay last night.
Nice. The 2016 bjornson is one of the best wines I've ever tasted. Probably top 10.

Blind, it took down Kutch, William Selym, Beaux Frere and a couple others.

Damn near perfect.
That 2016 Bjornson was great! Unfortunately mine have all been quaffed. Tonight, we are eating and drinking leftovers, and I'm contemplating the differences between Vincent's Gamay and Cru Beaujolais. For me, I think the Cru Bojo I typically drink usually has an iron (ferric? ferrous?) note, but not Vincent. Tonight I'm getting crunchy red fruit tending to raspberry, along with green herbal notes. Simply delicious.
Cheers,
Paul

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#180 Post by Mattstolz »

Walter Scott Gamay Noir 2019
Such a drinkable and food friendly wine. I love that you can immediately recognize this as an Oregon red, even though it’s not Pinot. It’s a little bit redder fruit, it’s a little less spice box, but it’s packed with fruit and minerality and depth. This is just day 1 note but I can only imagine this will improve with bottle time

Gotta add: there should be a plethora of Willamette notes from the Walter Scott tasting yesterday! Where are those??

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by Mark Y »

Mattstolz wrote: December 13th, 2020, 6:03 pm Gotta add: there should be a plethora of Willamette notes from the Walter Scott tasting yesterday! Where are those??
Referee said those don’t count lol
Y.e.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#182 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

One set counts.

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by ChrisJames »

2015 The Eyrie Vineyard Original Vines Pinot Gris

David Lett planted the very first Pinot Gris vines in N. America in the 1960s. This wine is made sulfur-free. It retails for $40, but I got a case of it for $19/bottle.

Golden green color with a slight haziness. Very complex flavors. It starts with fresh Anjou pears and some kind of exotic flower I can’t identify. But on the back end there is toasted hazelnuts*, and something like warm shoe polish, smells of an old bookstore, and perhaps even notes as if it was aged under flor. If that sounds weird, it is not. Really a tasty wine with lots of acidity and life left in it. Even without sulfur, I can see this going for a number of years longer. Very unique and enjoyable, but perhaps not for $40.

*Another Oregon food reference for Brig.

Jim Anderson, famous hater of “that weed” Pinot Gris, have you had this wine? There is nothing insipid or simple about this wine. Maybe the exception doesn’t make the rule, but still, it’s really nice wine.
Attachments
PG.jpg

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#184 Post by James Lyon »

!994 Torii Mor Reserve Pinot Noir

1994. I graduated high school and entered UTK as a college freshman. The basketball GOAT (always and forever) had retired the 1st time and decided to play baseball. Baseball decided to strike before Gwynn could hit .400, Knoblauch could break the doubles record, the Braves could finish 2nd in the East and Larkin could lead the Reds to their 2nd World Series Championship in 5 years.

It appears to be a great year in Oregon. The nose is muted. Perhaps some evergreen and Christmas spice for the holidays. The color is still very vibrant. Acid is still prominent with notes of cranberry, orange peel and leather on the back end. The fruit dissipates on the back end, but the acid continues. Cheers to Patty and Jim A. for another wonderful example of aged Oregon Pinot Noir.

Also, opened a 2014 Argyle Brut Rose, which was enjoyable. Perhaps a picture tomorrow.
IMG_1826 WB.jpg

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#185 Post by brigcampbell »

ChrisJames wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:05 pm But on the back end there is toasted hazelnuts*

Ha! I love it.

If you're from "Or-e-gone" those are filberts. Rich people eat hazelnuts. LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazelnut
In the United States, Oregon accounted for 99% of the nation's production in 2014, having a crop value of $129 million that is purchased mainly by the snack food industry.[16] .[17]

CCoulson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by CCoulson »

2015 Walter Scott Pinot Noir Dubay. Tasty, dark, red berry and black cherry, spice, savory, and everything nice. Drank over two days, second better. Early window. Many years ahead. Dubay is the same vineyard that Rose & Arrow calls Stonecreek and charges 3x. Sadly Walter Scott no longer gets the Dubay fruit. Luckily Hundred Suns Breaker is near by and the 2019 will be here soon.
Cr0mw311

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Mattstolz »

Mark Y wrote: December 13th, 2020, 6:50 pm
Mattstolz wrote: December 13th, 2020, 6:03 pm Gotta add: there should be a plethora of Willamette notes from the Walter Scott tasting yesterday! Where are those??
Referee said those don’t count lol
I mean thats fair I guess. lol. that would have been a page of notes all by itself

fun event though!

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#188 Post by ChrisJames »

brigcampbell wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:29 pm
ChrisJames wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:05 pm But on the back end there is toasted hazelnuts*

Ha! I love it.

If you're from "Or-e-gone" those are filberts. Rich people eat hazelnuts. LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazelnut
In the United States, Oregon accounted for 99% of the nation's production in 2014, having a crop value of $129 million that is purchased mainly by the snack food industry.[16] .[17]
Rich people? Ya mean those wine drinkin' types? [cheers.gif]
I'm from what used to be northern Oregon Territory. Every time we visit WV, we make sure to get several pounds of hazelnuts from a farmstand. Love toasted hazelnuts on salads.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#189 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

2EC95824-A6C8-47B7-9FDE-902DB1AD1B9A.jpeg
Sh**ty night at Chez Goodfellow:

2007 Evesham Wood Le Puits Sec-beautiful right from the start. Lifted aromatics of rose petals and red fruits. Just enough low tones, earthy, to give the wine great depth. Red silk texture, softer, fine.

2007 Cristom Marjorie-also in a great spot. Nose is garrigue, stems, some baking spice. Just great notes of forest floor, beef stock, and underbrush. Slightly tighter and more dense than the Le Puits Sec, less open, and probably will be better tomorrow. It has the taut, wound feel of a wine that wants time.

2007 Matello Whistling Ridge-a friend(my friend Geoff is our third hand for harvest and heavier winery work, so he’s in our quarantine group) tasting with us simply said that blind he would say it was Barbaresco. Aromatically, I agree with him. Roses, tar, pipe tobacco, and well balanced red fruits. Love the aromatics. The palate is medium weight, good density, nicely available but feeling like the last glass will be the best.

Really lovely set of wines. It’s funny to think of the perception of the vintage and the wines. They’ve filled in nicely, and all were just really wonderful to drink.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#190 Post by JDavisRoby »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:56 am
James Lyon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:20 am
Max S. wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:18 am

I looked around a bit, but can't seem to find this...
Go the very bottom of the website and it's on the right hand side next to contact us and trade.
Hopefully Margaret put the new one up. I literally just re-did it this week. If it goes through 2019s it’s literally days old.
I wish cellar tracker had a bulk upload feature for you to upload producers drink dates. Having that info baked into CT would be really cool.
Joshu@

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#191 Post by JDavisRoby »

J a y H a c k wrote: December 12th, 2020, 7:43 pm
  • 2013 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Berserkers' Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/12/2020)
    For the weekly wine challenge to benefit the Daikin Humane Society. Pop and pour and follow for 3 hours. An excellent wine, but available only to Berserkers! Bright red fruit and interesting citrus-like acidity on the back of the palate that makes the wine seems very fresh and bright. Color was light when poured but got darker as the evening wore on. Nose is muted with a bit of alcohol aroma and a floral component that I cannot identify. No pinot funk/cola flavors, which is why I am reaching the conclusion that I like the average Oregon pinot more than the average Cali pinot, because I am not a fan of the funk. There are plenty of outstanding Cali pinots that I love, but I'm talking "average" and I find that annoying component much less prevalent in Oregon pinot. This wine has miles to go before it is over the hill and I suspect that it will get better before it gets worse. PS - a real bargain when the winery needed to move inventory and offered it to Berserkers at a price equal to what it would have gotten from wholesalers and sold out almost immediately. (91 pts.)

Pat Green Wine photo.jpg
Jay, I see you’ve already left football season behind and moved to basketball. neener
Joshu@

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#192 Post by Rodrigo B »

JDavisRoby wrote: December 13th, 2020, 8:30 pm
James Lyon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:20 am

Go the very bottom of the website and it's on the right hand side next to contact us and trade.
Hopefully Margaret put the new one up. I literally just re-did it this week. If it goes through 2019s it’s literally days old.
I wish cellar tracker had a bulk upload feature for you to upload producers drink dates. Having that info baked into CT would be really cool.
There is a feature that lets you bulk edit drinking windows. Go to the Ready to Drink report and right next to "Narrow Results" there should be a button that says "Bulk Update Drinking Windows." If you're just looking to update wines from one producer, you can narrow by producer
B r @ g @

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#193 Post by JDavisRoby »

Rodrigo B wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:04 pm

There is a feature that lets you bulk edit drinking windows. Go to the Ready to Drink report and right next to "Narrow Results" there should be a button that says "Bulk Update Drinking Windows." If you're just looking to update wines from one producer, you can narrow by producer
Thanks. I’ll check that out.

Although, meant for the producer to have that ability and it updates across all CT users.
Joshu@

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#194 Post by Rodrigo B »

JDavisRoby wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:07 pm
Rodrigo B wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:04 pm

Thanks. I’ll check that out.

Although, meant for the producer to have that ability and it updates across all CT users.
Gotcha. Not sure how many producers would want to update their drinking windows on CT, or how the logistics around adding that feature would work on CT. But I think that if you had a separate drinking window for producers like CT does for reviewers that users could edit for their own references, that could be a bit easier to add as a feature.
B r @ g @

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#195 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

James Lyon wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm !994 Torii Mor Reserve Pinot Noir

Baseball decided to strike before Gwynn could hit .400, Knoblauch could break the doubles record, the Braves could finish 2nd in the East and Larkin could lead the Reds to their 2nd World Series Championship in 5 years.
Don't forget Frank Thomas had a shot at the Triple Crown. Also, too soon.

Signed,
Lifelong Reds Fan
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#196 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

At 6pm, I poured a 2014 Patricia Green Berserker Cuvée into a Grassl Cru and put it on back porch to open up. After an evening of sipping Diet Pepsi and trawling Winebid, I had my first taste just after 10pm.

Let’s just say it is extremely hard to get Diet Pepsi off of my palate.

I ate a handful of cashews and a few saltines, and the next few sips were…. about the same. Strange. Hot. Thick. Chemical (acetic acid?). The taste betrayed the warm, inviting nose of black cherry and other dark fruit.

I decided to give give it the old Adam Vinituri try. I have a pair of these aerators. They bookend a shelf above the kitchen sink, along with various glassware and my most memorable empty bottles. This particular Vinituri has a built-in sieve. I found it at a Goodwill store in a tony suburb of Indianapolis. Nearly new and in the original box, it set me back all of five bucks. Suckers!

But I digress.

Although the wine had been sitting in the glass for 4 hours, the Vinituri still worked its magic. The nose snapped into shape, revealing much brighter red fruits. The wine became youthful and vibrant as it rolled across my palate. Very nice!

The medium-bodied mouthfeel had a cooling effect that reminded me of the Dundee Hills. There’s a little bit of caramel on the gentle finish, but nothing to get in a twist over. The fine tannins are fully integrated, with a nice, tart backbone that suggests further aging potential. However, the finish has a slight metallic echo. It could be the interplay with the cashews. Will see how that plays out on Day 2.

Edit: Day 2 and all is well. Whatever was off on the finish is right on. Drinking very nicely from front to back. Tastes like Dundee Hills, in my opinion.

If I had to guess, I’d say there was a fair amount of Dijon clone in this bottle. It reminded me of something from Saffron Fields. (Jim, I’m probably wrong and happy to be corrected.)

Overall, this Berserker Cuvée is a terrific QPR. Smells like Oregon, tastes like Oregon. This bottle is in a good place, with a little coaxing. Drink now or over the next 3 to 5 years.
3FF527AA-5790-4D11-9527-041746C29DDE_1_105_c.jpeg
Last edited by Patrick T a y l o r on December 14th, 2020, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Pat K

#197 Post by Pat K »

Van Duzer Pinot Gris Estate, Willamette Valley, 2018

Straw colored, below medium legs. Aromas of white flowers and lighter fruit: grapefruit, green apple, faint lychee, apple blossom. Less distinct are slate/stoniness, white pepper. On the palate, this is a very tart wine; no spice noted, just acid and fruit. Unlike some Pinot Gris that lean toward cream/honey similar to Viognier, this wine reminds me of a dry Chablis. More Pinot Grigio-like than Pinot Gris. Light-medium body, bright, juicy texture. Medium finish, high acidity. Impression : correct to the grape, but better labeled a Pinot Grigio. Atypical for Oregon. Screwcap.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#198 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 13th, 2020, 8:10 pm Sh**ty night at Chez Goodfellow:

2007 Evesham Wood Le Puits Sec
2007 Cristom Marjorie
2007 Matello Whistling Ridge

Really lovely set of wines. It’s funny to think of the perception of the vintage and the wines. They’ve filled in nicely, and all were just really wonderful to drink.
Quite a line-up! Thanks for sharing. The 07 Puits Sec has more life ahead? Still holding on to some 07 Cristom Jessie and Louise. Sounds like no rush.

RT

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#199 Post by Jim Anderson »

ChrisJames wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:05 pm 2015 The Eyrie Vineyard Original Vines Pinot Gris

David Lett planted the very first Pinot Gris vines in N. America in the 1960s. This wine is made sulfur-free. It retails for $40, but I got a case of it for $19/bottle.

Golden green color with a slight haziness. Very complex flavors. It starts with fresh Anjou pears and some kind of exotic flower I can’t identify. But on the back end there is toasted hazelnuts*, and something like warm shoe polish, smells of an old bookstore, and perhaps even notes as if it was aged under flor. If that sounds weird, it is not. Really a tasty wine with lots of acidity and life left in it. Even without sulfur, I can see this going for a number of years longer. Very unique and enjoyable, but perhaps not for $40.

Jim Anderson, famous hater of “that weed” Pinot Gris, have you had this wine? There is nothing insipid or simple about this wine. Maybe the exception doesn’t make the rule, but still, it’s really nice wine.
Haven’t had it. Much like a Merlot that someone would describe as delicious and interesting, and perhaps truly is, I both have no interest in trying it and it’s existence doesn’t change my opinion on Pinot Gris and the Oregon wine biz.

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#200 Post by Dave McIsaac »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:25 pm
James Lyon wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm !994 Torii Mor Reserve Pinot Noir

Baseball decided to strike before Gwynn could hit .400, Knoblauch could break the doubles record, the Braves could finish 2nd in the East and Larkin could lead the Reds to their 2nd World Series Championship in 5 years.
Don't forget Frank Thomas had a shot at the Triple Crown. Also, too soon.

Signed,
Lifelong Reds Fan
Pittsburgh hosted the All-Star game in 1994, and I attended the Home Run contest. Frank Thomas absolutely smoked one 519 feet into the left center field upper deck. It was a line drive rocket!! Ken Griffey, Jr won the contest.
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Return to “Wine Talk”