Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Scott Tallman

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#101 Post by Scott Tallman »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 11th, 2020, 4:58 am Now how do I source some of that Pierce Riesling, and then smuggle it into the house...
As an out of stater, sounds like you need to email Jess to sort out purchasing.

https://piercewines.com/buy-wine
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Scott Tallman

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#102 Post by Scott Tallman »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 11th, 2020, 5:45 am
Scott Tallman wrote: December 10th, 2020, 8:57 pm
Jim Anderson wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:39 pm

I could tell Four Winds Vineyard stories for hours. Seriously. I will attempt to quick take the one most relevant here.

We started farming FW in 1997. Farmed it through 2006 and kept buying the fruit through 2011. So, I know it well. It always had funk. Lots of times it smelled of anise and fennel in fermenter. It was never super fruit driven (the 2008 tastes like Nebbiolo actually). One day, probably back in the 2005ish era, we had a pack of UCD kids come to the winery. We barrel tasted and when we got to the FW I could tell there was some whispering and mumbling going on. I knew what they were thinking and talking about. I said, “what do you think (knowing what the response was going to be)” and finally someone chirped up and said, “we think it has Brett.” I took $100 out of my wallet and put it on the table and said, “I will run a panel on this and if it has an appreciable amount of Brett I will send you all $100, if not you only have to get $100 between you all to send to me.” There were like a dozen of them. No takers.

The difference between school work and winemaking.
That’s a great story. Need to see if I can source any of your older vintages from FW, and pop some of the Crowley FW Pinots to get a better sense of the vineyard.

Now that I’ve drank a bit more, it definitely has funk, but not the kind I’d associate with brett.
Maybe you’ll get one as your replacement bottle. I’ll have to ask Wine Santa if you’ve been naughty.
That would be an excellent treat if it comes to pass. I’ve definitely been naughty, but not to such a degree to impact your choice of replacement bottle.
CT - WestbyGod

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#103 Post by Jim Anderson »

Scott Tallman wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:44 am
Jim Anderson wrote: December 11th, 2020, 5:45 am
Scott Tallman wrote: December 10th, 2020, 8:57 pm

That’s a great story. Need to see if I can source any of your older vintages from FW, and pop some of the Crowley FW Pinots to get a better sense of the vineyard.

Now that I’ve drank a bit more, it definitely has funk, but not the kind I’d associate with brett.
Maybe you’ll get one as your replacement bottle. I’ll have to ask Wine Santa if you’ve been naughty.
That would be an excellent treat if it comes to pass. I’ve definitely been naughty, but not to such a degree to impact your choice of replacement bottle.
Wine Santa definitely operates with a different set of values than regular old boring Santa!
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#104 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

Here is one from Wednesday night. We had this with salmon baked in foil with tomatoes and basil. Great combination. Vincent continues to be a star, and the prices are silly for the quality.
  • 2019 Vincent Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/9/2020)
    This year's edition of the basic Willamette Chardonnay seems a bit leaner. It also seems more in a classic Chablis style, which is wonderful. Vincent's chards have tended to have a chalky profile, but this year on the aftertaste it is more more like quartz after a summer rain. Fruit is, as always, impeccable. Best at cellar temperature and not colder. Excellent. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Cheers,
Paul

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#105 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

2018 Vincent Chardonnay Tardive - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/11/2020)
Really interesting Chardonnay that has a crystalline purity, but also a strong struck flint note. The fruit almost seems sweet, but then on the finish the acidity rushes in to leave a dry, steely tone. This is a remarkable value.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Bob Hughes »

Because man does not live on Oregon Pinot Noir alone:

2017 Patricia Green Chardonnay Durant Vineyard ; in a word, delicious. Expansive & accessible on the palate - I don't know whether this is vintage-specific, but this doesn't strike me as a wine built to age. Then again, when it drinks this well now, who really cares.

2018 Patricia Green Chardonnay Durant Vineyard ; also quite tasty. This strikes me as a little more substantive in terms of palate presence than the 2017, but that is splitting hairs. I think we're doing sushi for dinner, and both of these should work fine.

As an editorial sidebar, at this point, 40 years into a wine collecting & drinking hobby, I'm not exactly a wine hunter and/or explorer anymore. That said, I still do enjoy stumbling on to something that fits into my wheelhouse. My wife and I both love Chardonnay, but more specifically White Burgundy. And with repeated premox-related disappointments in the regard, we had really cut back our purchasing and drinking in that area. So it was an eye-opening pleasure when Rich Trimpi started to turn me on to some of the Chardonnays emanating from Oregon. I quickly hopped on the Goodfellow and Walter Scott bandwagons, and so when I read this Spring that Jim had started once again to make Chardonnay, and from one of my favorite vineyards, I immediately put in an order. I know that Pinot Noir is the "king" in Oregon, and probably always will be, but at least IMO, the world class quality of the Chardonnays that are being produced up there these days is something that I am truly thankful for [cheers.gif] .

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#107 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Scott Tallman wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm I’ve drank plenty of Crowley Four Winds Vineyard Chardonnay, which is great.
I could tell Four Winds Vineyard stories for hours. Seriously.
2014 Crowley Four Winds Chardonnay Honey, lanolin, citrus and super mild reduction....maybe a slight suggestion of pineapple. Flinty gunpowder mixed with lemon peel and tropical yellow fruit. Tingling bright midpalate and moderate length. Light on its feet with deceptive gravitas. No heat. No overt oak. No brett or barnyard. Tyson still largely flies under the radar to many except avid Oregonophiles. His skills shouldn't be ignored.

1211201751_resized.jpg
RT

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Bob Hughes wrote: December 11th, 2020, 2:16 pm Because man does not live on Oregon Pinot Noir alone:
2017 Patricia Green Chardonnay Durant Vineyard ; in a word, delicious.
High praise Bob! Considering the volume of quality Chard that gets consumed by the Hughes household. [good.gif]

RT

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Fred Bower wrote: December 11th, 2020, 6:34 am Because it hadn't been properly put away, the 2017 Domaine Drouhin Laurene got opened last night. This wine always benefits from some cellar time to my tastes, but it is often a very compelling try-at-release wine too.
Cheers,
fred
Fred, thanks for the note. I typically consider it a 10 year minimum wine. The oak can protrude when young IMHO, but I've tasted a few that have integrated beautifully with time.

RT
Last edited by Richard T r i m p i on December 11th, 2020, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#110 Post by Jim Anderson »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:00 pm
Scott Tallman wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm I’ve drank plenty of Crowley Four Winds Vineyard Chardonnay, which is great.
2014 Crowley Four Winds Chardonnay Honey, lanolin, citrus and super mild reduction....maybe a slight suggestion of pineapple. Flinty gunpowder mixed with lemon peel and tropical yellow fruit. Tingling bright midpalate and moderate length. Light on its feet with deceptive gravitas. No heat. No overt oak. No brett or barnyard. Tyson still largely flies under the radar to many except avid Oregonophiles. His skills shouldn't be ignored.

1211201751_resized.jpg

RT
Relevant Four Winds Vineyard story #2. We made Chardonnay there from 2000-2008 and made but never released the 2009. We were just done. None of those bottlings was particularly noteworthy. Some were fine. We decided the location of the site and the clone (Wente) just weren’t a match that was capable of producing good Chardonnay. We helped the owner find a new buyer for the grapes which turned out to be Tyson Crowley. I remember tasting the 2010 Crowley Four Winds Chardonnay and realizing where the problem had been all those years. Dammit.

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Diane Kessler »

Two opened this week. The Riesling was opened Monday but finished tonight, so the tasting note should count.

2017 Paetra Riesling Elwetritsche - this was open 4 days and it kept improving each day. Tonight, it showed an oily, nutty, stone fruit nose. The palate was bone dry with peach/apricot. Delicious as tonight’s aperitif.

2015 Patricia Green Freedom Hill Vineyard Dijon 115 Clone. Beautiful aromatics of red berries and florals. The palate is intense and rich with raspberries, espresso, and black pepper. Tannins are velvety and the finish is long and luscious. Feels like it could go out years.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Kirk.Grant »

• 2008 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Etzel Block - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/11/2020)
    Bottle 3 of 3 and I have to say that this still has a long, long life ahead by the judge of this bottle. A ruby core that is slowly starting to show some minor signs of bricking. PNP, decanted for sediment, served in a Conterno Sensory glass, & the remaining wine is in a decanter in the fridge to help keep it cool so it can warm up slowly in the glass. Most immediately there's this lovely scent of earth, a hint of rose, mushroom, & bright red fruits. This wine is so bright & alive with flavors of raspberry, perfectly ripe strawberries (like the one's I paid $10/berry for in a Market in Seoul), then clove, spice, with a hint of cinnamon lingering in & out throughout the finish. Man...this is such an epic wine. The finish stretches out, has a rich mid-palate, and a long, long finish. The cork...looks damn near perfect, with no saturation or seepage. If you find a bottle of this...buy it, or you'll be competing with me if I see it.
Attachments
7F6AFD15-FB55-49F8-BF68-8F4053AC203F.jpeg
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#113 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Diane Kessler wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:33 pm Two opened this week. The Riesling was opened Monday but finished tonight, so the tasting note should count.

2017 Paetra Riesling Elwetritsche - this was open 4 days and it kept improving each day. Tonight, it showed an oily, nutty, stone fruit nose. The palate was bone dry with peach/apricot. Delicious as tonight’s aperitif.

2015 Patricia Green Freedom Hill Vineyard Dijon 115 Clone. Beautiful aromatics of red berries and florals. The palate is intense and rich with raspberries, espresso, and black pepper. Tannins are velvety and the finish is long and luscious. Feels like it could go out years.
We’ll count it!

jrozes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by jrozes »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 10th, 2020, 10:14 pm
Scott Tallman wrote: December 10th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 10th, 2020, 8:44 pm [...]

2018 Pierce Riesling-a bit of backstory. Jess Pierce is an awesome person, who also was a Portland somm for quite a few years(Ned Ludd), and is now the Oregon sales person for Walter Scott. She also makes a few hundred cases of dynamite Riesling. The vineyard is Van Horn in the Columbia Gorge AVA. 18g/l of RS is balanced by a pH of 2.95(TA is 9.2 g/l).
I love this wine. It’s clean lines, beatiful texture, super refreshing acidity. Just the right balance of acids to RS for my palate. It’s quite bright and citrusy refreshing finish makes me just want more. And it was a perfect partner to the Thai green curry mussels we had after the oysters. I usually trade Jess a case or 6-pack and while it may age, I am always out when we trade the next time.
Thanks for the Pierce note. I tasted some of her first vintage at Walter Scott a few years ago at the end of a long tasting day, so didn’t have a great take on it. Need to try again. Agree with you that even though I love German Riesling, Oregon Riesling (yours, Paetra, Ovum, Love & Squalor) absolutely scratches my Riesling itch.
Those are my go to producers as well, but the Pierce is a favorite even among them. Ovum, when it’s on, is on another level. But we drank a case of 2017 and 2018 Pierce and every bottle was just delicious.
The 500ml bottles with crown caps are straight up dangerous. Waaaay too easy to throw one back.
Jonathan

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Dave H. »

Patricia Green 2015 ‘Volcanic’ Dundee Hills- PG has never let me down and it doesn’t start now. This is tarter than what I normally associate with the winery, especially in a warm year. More cranberry/under ripe strawberry, less raspberry. Still lovely. Tastes like Oregon.
Hendrik

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Brian Tuite »

Was about to post my first note here but when I snapped a pic of the label is reads “Washington” ugh...

Anyhow here are my dogs. Taz is a 3yr old English Pointer and Kona, a rescue German Shepherd, turned a year old last month. We got her as a pup, the entire litter was dropped off at the rescue shelter. Turned into the best girl ever!

Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#117 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Brian Tuite wrote: December 11th, 2020, 6:14 pm Was about to post my first note here but when I snapped a pic of the label is reads “Washington” ugh...

Anyhow here are my dogs. Taz is a 3yr old English Pointer and Kona, a rescue German Shepherd, turned a year old last month. We got her as a pup, the entire litter was dropped off at the rescue shelter. Turned into the best girl ever!

Nice pups!

Scott Tallman

#118 Post by Scott Tallman »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: December 11th, 2020, 3:00 pm

1211201751_resized.jpg

RT
Agree that Tyson flies under the radar outside of Oregonophiles. This is consistently one of my favorite Chardonnays each vintage, although I greatly prefer this wine at 1-5 years as it seems to lose the verve & energy that draws me to this wine (not to say it can’t age well for much longer than that, merely personal preference). Which is why your note is a timely reminder to drink up my remaining 2014 & 2015s.
CT - WestbyGod

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by ChrisJames »

2019 Kelley Fox Barbi Pinot Blanc

Freedom Hill grapes. Aged in acacia wood. Third year in production, named after Kelley’s (late) mom, who was a professional painter. Each year, the bottle has a new label with a painting from Ms. Barbi's work. Kelley is very enthused about the 2019 vintage.

I just love this wine. Bright, forward nose of honeycomb, honeydew, marcona almonds, and Asian pears. Lovely silky texture on the palate with an acidity like lemon drop candy, by which I mean a delicious tartness that keeps drawing me back for more. I had the 2017 a few months ago and it has evolved into a much better wine than on release and still has a number of years of positive growth ahead of it. I’d expect this to do the same. At $37, this is simply one of my favorite Oregon white wines in this price range (yes, including Chardonnay).
Attachments
IMG_0165.JPG

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#120 Post by Rick Allen »

2018 Goodfellow Willamette Valley Chardonnay - This is one of our go-to wines. Pale yellow color, aroma of meyer lemon, with a hint of lime and a little matchstick. On the palate, the wine leads with lemons, followed by green apple and a little oak. The balance is perfect, the finish is loooong. For less than $25, this punches way over its weight.

2018 Vincent Willamette Valley Gamay Noir - Bright, dark garnet color. Gamy dark cherry nose that you would expect from a Gamay. On the palate, the wine shows cherries and under-ripe plums, with sappy acidity, with a long flavorful finish. A dead ringer for a Cru Beaujolais. Too young to expect any "pinotification" but a wonderful, relatively low alcohol palate cleanser.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by James Lyon »

2014 Patricia Green Cellars Freedom Hill Dijon 115 Pinot Noir

Alright, I tried to locate a 2012 Balcombe or Durant Madrone, but I was unsuccessful in my search. Hence, the 2014 Freedom Hill Dijon 115 Pinot to compare with the 2014 Balcombe Pinot from last night. The 2014 FH D115 maybe a little darker in appearance. I'm still getting darker fruits on the nose. This wine is tight, tight, tight. I think that the spice note is a little stronger on this wine which is surprising to me. I can see the potential, but it's stubborn tonight. I would recheck in 3-5 years.
Attachments
IMG_1823 WB.jpg

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Mattstolz »

Patricia Green Estate Sauv Blanc 2019

Great citrus notes with bright acidity and mineral note. Light on its feet without any of the funky sauv Blanc notes that normally make me shy away from SB. Good with a spicy vegetarian lentil dish
Attachments
9A7F6813-855A-4D22-9740-DD3A1AA6BF6F.jpeg

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#123 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

Cross post from the 'gram.
Cheers,
Paul

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#124 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

James Lyon wrote: December 11th, 2020, 7:42 pm 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Freedom Hill Dijon 115 Pinot Noir

Alright, I tried to locate a 2012 Balcombe or Durant Madrone, but I was unsuccessful in my search. Hence, the 2014 Freedom Hill Dijon 115 Pinot to compare with the 2014 Balcombe Pinot from last night. The 2014 FH D115 maybe a little darker in appearance. I'm still getting darker fruits on the nose. This wine is tight, tight, tight. I think that the spice note is a little stronger on this wine which is surprising to me. I can see the potential, but it's stubborn tonight. I would recheck in 3-5 years.
I'm seeing a lot of FH 115 posts but nothing from 2013. I'd love to pop my sole maggie, but hey, covid, and no one to share with. I've always been a fan of FH and the 115 bottling is my favorite. Good to see a lot of posts here.
Cheers,
Paul

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Rick Allen wrote: December 11th, 2020, 7:35 pm
2018 Vincent Willamette Valley Gamay Noir - Bright, dark garnet color. Gamy dark cherry nose that you would expect from a Gamay. On the palate, the wine shows cherries and under-ripe plums, with sappy acidity, with a long flavorful finish. A dead ringer for a Cru Beaujolais. Too young to expect any "pinotification" but a wonderful, relatively low alcohol palate cleanser.
Vincent’s Gamays are like a modern-styled Morgon! Superb.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Lee Short »

Tonight was a simply roasted chicken with a bottle of 2001 Belle Pente Pinot Noir Murto Vineyard . There was a time when this wine showed confected fruit, almost stewed, and a bit flabby. Those days are long gone, however -- this showed very nicely, sweet cherry fruit with just a bit of sous bois. Not quite the delineation of my last bottle, but by no means flabby. Probably at peak, I won't hold my remaining bottles very long.

Paul Fountain

#127 Post by Paul Fountain »

I own bottles of one American wine, and it happens to be an Oregon Riesling. This one makes it our way because the owner is Brian Crosser who has a long track record in the Australian industry. I know next to nothing about Oregon Riesling, and this was offered to me through one of the places I regularly buy, so I thought I'd give it a go
  • 2012 Tunkalilla Riesling - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (12/12/2020)
    Under screwcap and not showing much colour development. The aroma is slightly honeyed with orange blossom and orange citrus. I thought there was a touch of kerosene on the nose initially, but as the wine has had some air and warmed up a bit that seems to have disappeared.
    There is a little bit of Lemon sherbet raciness right up front, and the orange citrus is there on the palate too. There is some mineral elements that emerge towards the end of the mid palate and any initial sweetness is swept away by acidity which provides a decent finish. Pretty nice to drink, albeit not super complex or profound.

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#128 Post by Dan Hammer »

A few months ago, Walter Scott came up on my radar screen; so I purchased a few bottles of chard. In the Thanksgiving sale promo thread, someone mentioned that Zachy's had the 12 East restaurant version of their chard for $20, less 20% discount. I would have been a buyer at $20, but at $16, I broke down and purchased 3 bottles. If the bottle was to fail, it would be perfect for my wife's book club.

I could taste the oak, but it wasn't over powering. Some lemon on the nose. Lemon taste. Smooth and easy drinking wine. This wine is more than acceptable at whatever price you pay for it. I'm thinking long and hard about letting my wife drink this with her Zoom friends. 88.

Scott Tallman

#129 Post by Scott Tallman »

Scott Tallman wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm 2010 PGC Four Winds Vineyard Pinot Noir

I’ve drank plenty of Crowley Four Winds Vineyard Chardonnay, which is great. Despite owning various vintages of Pinot from this vineyard, this is the first one I’ve actually tasted. Decanted half the bottle for about 45 minutes. On first sniff, plentiful red fruits (cherry & cranberry), a touch of earth and what I can only call the “Cameron funk.” I’ve learned over the years that the Cameron funk is either a love it or hate it thing, but I’m firmly in the love it camp. On the palate, the tannins are well integrated. Lithe with plentiful red fruits, earth, spice, and (yes) the Cameron funk, which dissipated over time, but never quite disappeared.

This wine was really in my wheelhouse (if blinded, I would have guessed Cameron’s Arley’s Leap, which is great company IMO). We only planned to drink half the bottle tonight, but this is going down so easy it may not live to see Friday. Wish I had more than this bottle as it has years ahead of it. Kudos Jim!

Pics below of the wine and our rescue, Noci.
Ended up saving some for night 2 and glad I did. The wine filled out and the funk notes turned more savory.

Also opened a 2018 Paetra Gewürztraminer - flowers, lychee and citrus on the nose and palate. Medium-bodied and dry. Went down too easy with Indian dinner.
CT - WestbyGod

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by James Lyon »

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:15 pm
James Lyon wrote: December 11th, 2020, 7:42 pm 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Freedom Hill Dijon 115 Pinot Noir

I'm seeing a lot of FH 115 posts but nothing from 2013. I'd love to pop my sole maggie, but hey, covid, and no one to share with. I've always been a fan of FH and the 115 bottling is my favorite. Good to see a lot of posts here.
I'll check, but I don't think that have any bottles of the 2013 FH 115. Jim A. and the fine folks at PGC do a wonderful job with the drinkability chart on the website. The 2013 FH 115 appears to be a firm hold. A magnum of 2013 FH 115 may be ready in 2030? Unless someone has multiple bottles, I think that a majority of PGC Pinots need 10+ years to shine.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Max S. »

James Lyon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:15 am Jim A. and the fine folks at PGC do a wonderful job with the drinkability chart on the website.
I looked around a bit, but can't seem to find this...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by James Lyon »

Max S. wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:18 am
James Lyon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:15 am Jim A. and the fine folks at PGC do a wonderful job with the drinkability chart on the website.
Go the very bottom of the website and it's on the right hand side next to contact us and trade.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Max S. »

James Lyon wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:20 am
Go the very bottom of the website and it's on the right hand side next to contact us and trade.
That is awesome. I wish everyone did this, I feel like I don't need CT's BS anymore...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by James Lyon »

Max S. wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:21 am
That is awesome. I wish everyone did this, I feel like I don't need CT's BS anymore...
Goodfellow, Belle Pente, St. Innocent offer a similar feature on their websites that I reference frequently.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#135 Post by Jim Anderson »

Hopefully Margaret put the new one up. I literally just re-did it this week. If it goes through 2019s it’s literally days old.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Mattstolz »

Big Table Farm "The Wild Bee" Chardonnay 2018

Drank this over 3 or so days and the thing I kept coming back to was the texture. its a very well made chard with good acidity, bright ripe fruit, a hint of reduction. texture is linear, but its a line thats got a smooth graceful curve to it. very tasty all the way from day 1 to day 3. at like $30, its well worth the price of admission!

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#137 Post by Steve Gautier »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:56 am

Hopefully Margaret put the new one up. I literally just re-did it this week. If it goes through 2019s it’s literally days old.
Not yet. The one online goes through 2016.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Max S. »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:56 am Hopefully Margaret put the new one up. I literally just re-did it this week. If it goes through 2019s it’s literally days old.
Thanks for this - I pretty much assumed everything after 2016 would be a hold.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by MikeHill »

2015 Patricia Green Cellars Marine Sedimentary Chehalem Mountains

Double decanted. Upon opening, very earthy on the nose. On the palate focused dark fruit and cherry, almost bitter. Sharp, structured tannins. Medium acidity. Clipped finish of minerals. Still tight, drink with decant or hold. Update: Of course the last glass after four hours was the best.

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#140 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi »

So i should preface this, that my wife and I recently tried 22 Pinots under $20 (from Binnys in Chicago). Our expectations were fairly low in this price point, although there were a few QPR highlights (mostly from Oregon, New Zealand and Chile).

The Oregon winners...
  • 2018 Hyland Estates Pinot Noir Old Vine - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/12/2020)
    Medium to dark, but clear burgundy color.

Quite an exotic nose of rose petals, dark cherries, camphor and underbrush.

Young on the palate, sour black cherry, quite chewy with moderate to firm tannins, Mineral streak that turns a bit bitter. Quite sappy. Fairly serious for the price point and benefits from air (better the next day).

Tasted as part of a series of Pinot Noir under $20. Near the top in this lineup, although looking at the pricing, perhaps not usually <$20 ($18 at Binnys - large chain in Chicago). (89 pts.)
  • 2018 Erath Pinot Noir Oregon - USA, Oregon (12/12/2020)
    Bright, medium clear ruby color.

Open nose of cherries, strawberries, some vanilla and a touch of baking spices.

Light to mid weight palate of red cherries, rhubarb, red apple. Finishes tangy.

Tasted in a series of Pinot Noir under $20. Well made and amongst the best values (at <$15 on sale). (85 pts.)

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#141 Post by Jim Anderson »

MikeHill wrote: December 12th, 2020, 11:38 am 2015 Patricia Green Cellars Marine Sedimentary Chehalem Mountains

Double decanted. Upon opening, very earthy on the nose. On the palate focused dark fruit and cherry, almost bitter. Sharp, structured tannins. Medium acidity. Clipped finish of minerals. Still tight, drink with decant or hold. Update: Of course the last glass after four hours was the best.
Marine soil wines definitely are for the patient. Always slower developing than the volcanic sites and when they’re not in the best place they can be pretty rugged. Exactly why I love them.

Juliec
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#142 Post by Juliec »

1998 Archery Summit Pinot Noir Arcus Estate - nose: fragrance floral bouquet of roses and lily along with liquorice, anise, and fennel. Taste, clean transparent violet edging. Fruit and acid working together, still causes a slight pucker over time. Medium length finish with bare hint of alcohol. Very little earth or tertiary flavor. Pomegranate and cranberry throughout with subtle spice box to start.

2012 Ken Wright Pinot Noir Canary Hill Vineyard Purple deep edge, Blueberry, bosenberry, earthy alcoholic nose. Significant bramble, earth, moderate forest floor, and trumpet mushrooms. Significant stem inclusion and alcohol opens over time.... and can be cellared for some time more. Definitely need to give it time to open up. Blue fruits and tart currants, with slight bit of fig, and apricot. Significant persistence due to the alcohol.
Last edited by Juliec on December 12th, 2020, 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hong

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by brigcampbell »

Great BD purchase. The 2010 and 2011 were even better.

Picture of my goddaughter dog. Lost her in 2020. Good dog.
  • 2013 Iota Pinot Noir Pelos Sandberg Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (12/12/2020)
    Identical to the bottle a couple weeks ago. This was my last of the case. Easy repurchase for berserkerday.

Very good. Nose has a big mossy aroma, euro like. Attack is tart cherry followed by ripe raspberry. Medium plus acidity gives a elegant mouth feel. A light stem or oak plank finish with resolved tannins makes for an entertaining wine.
Attachments
CAM00136~2.jpg

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#144 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Woof

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by Mark Y »

So a bunch of people are going to have tasted through 9 Walter Scott wines shortly. ;)
Y.e.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

2012 Belle Pente Murto Vineyard Pinot Noir

Ripe jammy darker Pinot fruit with mild baking spice aromas and subtle loam. Bright very integrated briary and black cherry fruit attack. Jammy and slightly dessicated but not quite raisined. A bit of Kirsch. The oak is judicious. Good length and pleasing acidity with cooperative tannins. It's missing more overt secondary nuances that I typically expect from their Murto. Still a solid all around effort reflective of the vintage. Some mild warmth (listed 13.9% abv). Probably a good idea to start drinking through these if you have them.
1212201638_resized.jpg
RT

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by Jud Reis »

2008 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir Beaux Freres Vineyard - Popped and poured at cellar temp. Lovely nose of sour cherry, creosote and underbrush. Nice bracing acidity on the palate with sour cherry fruit and a spice filled finish. Still a youngster, with plenty of time left to develop.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#148 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Mark Y wrote: December 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm So a bunch of people are going to have tasted through 9 Walter Scott wines shortly. ;)
Did they share the bottles? You don’t get to double up. I am not that rich. (Seriously...I’m not)

Ah...it’s the barrel tasting thing?

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by brigcampbell »

David, since I didn't sponsor a week this year I'll help cover the cost. After it's all over I'll venmo you.

Bring it kids! Make it hurt.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

brigcampbell wrote: December 12th, 2020, 12:58 pm Picture of my goddaughter dog. Lost her in 2020. Good dog.
Condolences. We also lost our exceptional pup this year. Good long life. She's missed.

RT

Return to “Wine Talk”