Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#251 Post by Mattstolz »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:37 pm I am already drinking Zinfandel (Ridge Pagani Ranch), but we’ll count it Tom.

With matching and folks who made their own contributions, we are well over $3K for cats and dogs, which is honestly WAY MORE than I ever expected. Thanks everyone!
wow!

this thread went above and beyond this year! setting up my donation to our local Humane! with that in mind, do you have a final count on how many notes there were?

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#252 Post by ChrisJames »

ChrisJames wrote: December 15th, 2020, 9:13 pm

2018 PGC Riserve Pinot Noir

This is an easy “buy a six pack” every year wine. Two special things about this wine: a) Jim and Patty created this as a high quality wine for an average budget price, and b) it is the only PGC Pinot that doesn’t need a minimum of five years (ten years?) age to get in the sweet spot.

Big, dark purple color. Explosive grapey nose. Pure, dense fruit on the nose. Very clean and focused. No apparent new oak aromas (which I sometimes find on young PGC wines). Fairly medium bodied in contrast to the massive nose. An easy wine to drink without the need to regret drinking it too soon.
Even better on day two. Should have bought a case.

Thanks Jim! [cheers.gif] Thanks David! [cheers.gif]

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#253 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Mattstolz wrote: December 16th, 2020, 5:52 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:37 pm I am already drinking Zinfandel (Ridge Pagani Ranch), but we’ll count it Tom.

With matching and folks who made their own contributions, we are well over $3K for cats and dogs, which is honestly WAY MORE than I ever expected. Thanks everyone!
wow!

this thread went above and beyond this year! setting up my donation to our local Humane! with that in mind, do you have a final count on how many notes there were?
Over 150. Still working the final tally.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#254 Post by James Lyon »

Thanks again to David for his contributions. I was tied up with work on Monday night and a softball game last night, but I opened another Patty Green and Jim Anderson vinified wine tonight.

1999 Torii Mor Olson Vineyard Pinot Noir

Slight bricking on the edges with the first pour the most prominent brownish/orangish appearance. Nose is muted at first, but has developed some spice and a floral note. Taste is sour cherry, cranberry, slight orange with some cedar and evergreen notes on the back end. Spice lingers for another 15-30 seconds. Tara said medicinal cherry and I would agree.
IMG_1830 WB.jpg
The youngest of our 5 female rescue cats, Tory, is pictured with the Torii. It's a long story, but I found her at work in June 2018. She was about 6 weeks old and had been left behind because of a damaged rear leg. The vet feared permanent damage and perhaps amputation. The vet took care of her while we on vacation the next week in Oregon. When we returned, she was able to walk and run. Her leg still sticks out to the side when she's sitting, but she's been a blessing to us. Thanks for everyone's contributions to your local Humane organizations.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#255 Post by Jim Anderson »

Just wanted to thank everyone who delved into this in the spirit in which it was clearly intended. Thanks to David for being a thread starter and a good sport. I am in the process of recording the PGC notes and making sure everyone is made whole as I indicated. Given the time of year it may be a bit before some of you receive your bottles. If you’re regular buyers it may be easiest to simply stock your next box with an extra bottle or two. If you haven’t purchased from us directly in the past please send me a note on how best to ship to you. Rest assured we will get stuff to everyone!
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by J a y H a c k »

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who opened a Berserker Cuvee.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#257 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

Land whale
Land whale
This how some of us feel after all heavy lifting drinking wonderful Oregon wine!
Cheers,
Paul

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:51 pm Just wanted to thank everyone who delved into this in the spirit in which it was clearly intended. Thanks to David for being a thread starter and a good sport. I am in the process of recording the PGC notes and making sure everyone is made whole as I indicated. Given the time of year it may be a bit before some of you receive your bottles. If you’re regular buyers it may be easiest to simply stock your next box with an extra bottle or two. If you haven’t purchased from us directly in the past please send me a note on how best to ship to you. Rest assured we will get stuff to everyone!
Thank you very much. Perhaps this could be rolled into a 5 bottle Berserker Day offer.

Also, I need another hiding place for my 3 remaining Berserker Cuvee' bottles. It was far too easy to find them. Suggestions?
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by Kris Patten »

Last one....

2018 Willamette Valley Vineyards Whole Cluster Pinot Noir Brighter red cherry than Estate. Lighter with more acid, and a touch of earth. Well proportioned, but the Estate won this battle for weeknight Pinot for my wife.

Cheers.
ITB

Michael Sterling
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#260 Post by Michael Sterling »

Jud Reis wrote: December 13th, 2020, 3:21 pm 2015 Franny Beck Pinot Noir Johan Vineyard - Berserker day purchase. Popped and poured at cellar temp. Dark earth, Sweet Asian spices and spicy underbrush on the nose. Nice balance of sweet dusty black cherry fruit and acidity with tannic structure that is resolved but very present. Really in a lovely spot 5 years out with some room to continue to improve.
Man, great note. I love those ‘15s! They just keep giving and giving and giving. Might have to pull a cork on one of those, haven’t had one in a while
ITB- Franny Beck Wines
https://www.frannybeck.com

Michael Sterling
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#261 Post by Michael Sterling »

Brian Tuite wrote: December 14th, 2020, 7:45 pm Finally found an Oregon wine in the cellar. It’s a Berserker Day find as well!
  • 2014 Franny Beck Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/14/2020)
    From the first Berserker Day Franny Beck offering. This is really in a sweet spot right now. Light cranberry color with some slight bricking. Nutmeg and red licorice nose. Expressive blood orange and lanolin, fully integrated tannins, with some sandalwood and spice in the finish. Good acid balance, fun drink.

Posted from CellarTracker

My girl Kona playing with her chew toy.

6755E5D7-4C41-4D08-A4EA-BAFEA8C52742.jpeg
You know, Brian, that was the first wine I made in Oregon and I’m pretty proud of it. I just took all the ideas of what I wanted in a Pinot and dove in! Glad you enjoyed!
ITB- Franny Beck Wines
https://www.frannybeck.com

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by Chris Seiber »

I had this on Tuesday but I forgot to post on time (and so I understand if it falls outside the donation window and/or the offer from Patricia Green, no problem on either), but might as well anyway.

2013 Patricia Green Berserkers Cuvee.

This has hit a nice age. "Despite" the 13.0% alcohol, there is more than adequate ripeness to the dark cherry fruit. The wine strikes a nice balance with upfront fruit but then a more herbal, savory finish, with some bay leaf, orange peel. I think it will hold for a number of years still, though I'm not sure it struck me as something which will improve from here.

I really loved the concept of these offerings, and I've enjoyed the wines all along the way. It was a special moment in the WB community to have it happen that way and for so many of us to get to share the experience of drinking these bottles.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#263 Post by Chris Seiber »

DB93DE26-4F07-4045-B2D4-83A47D19CEA7.jpeg

Pat K

#264 Post by Pat K »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:51 pm Just wanted to thank everyone who delved into this in the spirit in which it was clearly intended. Thanks to David for being a thread starter and a good sport. I am in the process of recording the PGC notes and making sure everyone is made whole as I indicated. Given the time of year it may be a bit before some of you receive your bottles. If you’re regular buyers it may be easiest to simply stock your next box with an extra bottle or two. If you haven’t purchased from us directly in the past please send me a note on how best to ship to you. Rest assured we will get stuff to everyone!
Jim & David, thanks once again for your generosity. 150+ TNs. Wow! This has been a very enjoyable thread; learned so much about OR wine. And a plus was several vintners tasting other vintner's juice and their encouraging, positive comments. Especially now when so many industries, including hospitality, are in a "survival of the fittest" mode.

We are among the many looking forward to receiving PGC wine.

Well done, all! Cheers! grouphug

Doug Uno
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by Doug Uno »

Pat K wrote: December 17th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Jim & David, thanks once again for your generosity. 150+ TNs. Wow! This has been a very enjoyable thread; learned so much about OR wine. And a plus was several vintners tasting other vintner's juice and their encouraging, positive comments. Especially now when so many industries, including hospitality, are in a "survival of the fittest" mode.

We are among the many looking forward to receiving PGC wine.

Well done, all! Cheers! grouphug
Well said! +1

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#266 Post by James Lyon »

Oregon Wine Week, December 9 - 16

So, I was able to retaste most of the wines that had been opened within the last week last night. All were still very good. The old Torii Mor's were still singing. The 1994 TM Reserve showed no fatigue for being open since Sunday afternoon. Thanks again for everyone's contributions.
IMG_1832 WB.jpg

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#267 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

David,

Thank you for doing this! We are adding to your total donation today, and happy to see 111 TNs for Deep Roots Coalition wines.

And thanks to Todd and Company for making this all possible.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#268 Post by Jim Anderson »

Just wanted to bump this. I PM'd everyone that posted a PGC note but I wonder sometimes if people even really know about PMs or ever check them. I have gotten responses from nearly everyone about getting them wine. While it is likely we have contact and shipping info for others we are being extra diligent these days about checking shipping addresses and making sure the ship address we have is valid still. I have not heard from (I think this is correct)

JP Wiley
Mike Hill
Jay Hack
Sean Smith
Jesse Cheng
Graham Mears
Paul Menkes
J Davis Roby

This is the PM I sent so you can just work off of this:

January 10, 2021

Hi there folks,
Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to you regarding David Bueker’s Dakin Human Society wine tasting note fund raiser. I was glad to see people come out in the spirit of this and all of the other fund raisers that occurred over the holidays on Wine Berserkers. It’s nice to know that even in the troubled times we find ourselves in people can do the things that contribute toward making our society a better and gentler one.

As I said, I would replace bottles that people had in their tasting notes. Well, “replaced” might be the wrong word. In many cases a straight up replacement would be unlikely or even impossible. I think the concept was a little bit more of a dealer’s choice/grab bag kind of thing. Sort of a Secret Santa kind of deal. If you’re okay with that then that is what will happen. If, however, you are strongly attached to the bottle you posted on and would like to see if we can do the straight up match on that let me know and I will look into what we have going on.

Okay, now for the details. Obviously, this is not a smooth surface of simply sending folks their due. Some of you are local or local enough that picking it up the next time you are around would likely be the easiest thing to do. Some of you are West Coast/other areas that we could ship to now. Some of you live in snow covered lands that won’t be graced by wine toting UPS trucks for a few weeks yet. Some of you are on our mailing list and we have your information. Some of you may not be.

I attempt to make my staff’s work lives as easy as possible when it comes to things that I dream up. So, in an effort to take some of the leg work off of their plate if you could email me at jim@patriciagreencellars.com the following information:

Name and preferred shipping address
Phone number
Any pick-up/shipping instructions

Lastly, and this is in no way some sort of obligatory kind of thing or a sales pitch or anything like that, but if you would like to round up from a bottle or two (there are folks with multiple bottle posts but most are 1 or 2 I would say) to a generally more conventional sized box I would offer those bottles up at our club discount of 20% and with no shipping charges since you weren’t going to be paying for that anyway! If not, that’s no big deal. No expectations. Just an offer. Happy to simply send what you would have coming based on what you posted!

Normally I ask folks to go through the staff about wine purchases and what not as they are simply better at it, especially the infrastructure stuff, than am I at this point. However, for the purposes of not potentially inciting a riot, or at the least putting it off until a bit later, if you could do all this through me I promise that it will all get done in a somewhat efficient manner.

Again, thanks to David for setting this up and for all of you that participated with whichever wine from whatever winery!
I look forward to hearing from you and getting you out some surprises!

Sincerely,

Jim Anderson
Patricia Green Cellars
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#269 Post by Sean_S »

Thanks Jim,

I read the PM and hadn't made time to pick out some additional wines. That's been rectified. Thanks again for doing this.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

Return to “Wine Talk”