Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#1 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

The week will once again be a celebration of Oregon Wines. $5 per note. $10 per note for wines from Berserker winemakers (e.g. Marcus G., Vincent, Jim A.) and Oregon Berserker Day participants. My company also matches donations, so it's going to double no matter what. Pet photos welcome!

The results will be a donation to Dakin Humane Society.

Dakin is a Massachusetts organization that offers low/no cost pet services (e.g. spay/neuter clinic), and adoption of pets to forever homes. They have taken in animals left homeless due to disasters across the country, and recently been taking in pets whose families were affected by COVID. Our two cats, Deus and Houdini were adopted from Dakin in December 2010.

https://www.dakinhumane.org/home-make-a-gift-2020.html
Last edited by D@vid Bu3ker on December 8th, 2020, 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Animal Shelter - DEC9-DEC16

#2 Post by Sean_S »

Let's get this going: Recommended by @Marcus Goodfellow.
  • 2016 Twill Cellars Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (12/8/2020)
    Wow, what a difference a couple of years can make. Oak is now fully integrated and not noticeable on the nose or the palate. Acidity has mellowed and the fruit has come out. Fruit, acid and richness are all in balance with nothing sticking out. Great minerality throughout. It was good before, but wow! This is a seriously good bottle of Chardonnay for $20
Posted from CellarTracker

Here's what I wrote a few years back....
  • 2016 Twill Cellars Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (6/9/2018)
    Med Pale, perfectly clear and shimmering in the light. Hint of sea shells and then a nice light waft of caramel make an inviting nose. There is richness even on the tip of the palate, with pear, citrus and caramel bouncing off the persistant acidity. The finish is long and dominated by the acidity with the butterscotch lingering to compliment. To me, this is Oregon in style even though it offers elements of California in its profile. Tasted side by side with 16 Goodfellow WV chardonnay, The Twill tasted more acidic yet bigger on the richness and the caramel but in a subtle Oregon kinda way. Excellent wine. POBEGA'D from the Fed-Ex guy, sampled over 2 days. Great QPR for $20

12.6% ABV, Johan, Molly's, and Stormy Morning Vineyards. DIAM 10 Cork
    (A++ for the super high quality cork on a budget friendly wine) (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Animal Shelter - DEC9-DEC16

#3 Post by Brian Tuite »

Sean_S wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:52 am
Is “arriving early” a thing for you or is this just a one-off? ;-)
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by ChrisJames »

Brian Tuite wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:59 am
Sean_S wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:52 am
Is “arriving early” a thing for you or is this just a one-off? ;-)
I was wondering if the barn door was left open... Or is it Dec 9th already somewhere?

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#5 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Folks - I would prefer we get started with wines tasted starting tomorrow.

There is still one more day to have an Aussie wine, and help Jay Hack raise funds for a food bank.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 3 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Wines of Oregon - D@vid Bu3ker for Dakin Humane Society - DEC9-DEC16

#6 Post by Max S. »

Ooh I'm definitely opening some Oregon pinot during the William Kelley AMA. Take THAT Burgundy.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Rodrigo B »

Ordered a mixed 6-pack from Todd Hamina a while back. Looks like the time has come to crack those open
B r a g a

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by Jim Anderson »

Been trying to think of something to juice the numbers here. We donated 40% of the revenue of a 2016 Pinot Noir bottling to a local no-kill animal shelter so this is firmly in our winery’s wheelhouse.

We will match any person’s PGC tasting note by replacing your bottle. Maybe not that wine or vintage but we will send you a fresh mystery bottle of PGC for opening up your cellar to open up the wallet for the Humane Society. Yes, you won’t know what you’re getting but...you’ll have to trust me.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Thank you Jim.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Rick Allen »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:55 pm Been trying to think of something to juice the numbers here. We donated 40% of the revenue of a 2016 Pinot Noir bottling to a local no-kill animal shelter so this is firmly in our winery’s wheelhouse.

We will match any person’s PGC tasting note by replacing your bottle. Maybe not that wine or vintage but we will send you a fresh mystery bottle of PGC for opening up your cellar to open up the wallet for the Humane Society. Yes, you won’t know what you’re getting but...you’ll have to trust me.
Well, I know what I'm opening!

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by J a y H a c k »

What do I get for a Patricia Green Berserker Cuvee and a Seven of Hearts Curmudgeon Cuvee?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#12 Post by Jim Anderson »

J a y H a c k wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:07 pm What do I get for a Patricia Green Berserker Cuvee and a Seven of Hearts Curmudgeon Cuvee?
A this point $15 donated to a Humane Shelter, 2 good bottles of wine to drink and a bottle of wine from PGC to replace the one you’ve opened to forward along a donation. I assume a good meal and some company as well.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Welcome to Oregon wine week folks!

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Bob Hughes »

So as I believe I mentioned when I posted in Frank Murray's thread in support of Laura's House, this is my favorite time of the year on the Board. This Board can be equal parts interesting & frustrating over the full 365, but the fact that we have individuals like Frank, Jay and David (and whoever else will be following David next) sponsoring these truly worthy causes really gives all of us a pretty cool way to give Thanks - and that has never been more important than it is this year, which in retrospect for so many different reasons has truly been a challenge.

I love the theme here - for Frank's Pinot-based fundraiser, I opted for four 2013 Pinots from Marcus Goodfellow. Following up on that, I was down in the cellar yesterday and stood up three 2013 Pinot's from Jim Anderson - the Freedom Hill, Freedom Hill Dijon 115 and the Freedom Hill Pommard Clone. I've always wanted to try these side-by-side to see what differences I might discern from the different clonal selections, and David's thread for Dakin gives me the perfect opportunity to do so.

Still a little early on the East coast to pull any corks, but I will update this later today as I check out each wine. David, thanks for doing this [cheers.gif]

Okay, time to get serious here. First up, the2013 Patricia Green Freedom Hill; according to the label, this contains three different clones harvested from five different sections of the vineyard. The nose is quite evocative here, red fruits & florals. A little more tied down on the palate, with primarily red fruit with good acidity for lift. Very likable.

Next up, the 2013 PG Freedom Hill Dijon 115; this has a similarly appealing nose, but seems more relaxed/expansive on the palate. Very nice. According to the label, 50% whole cluster.

And finally, the 2013 PG Freedom Hill Pommard Clone; oooh, the nose here is much different than on the first two wines, with a good dash of that farmhouse funk - very interesting & complex, as long as you can tolerate some funkiness with your wine. On the palate, this is more of a mix of black & red fruit - I'm enjoying this. According to the label, this was 100% destemmed from a section of the vineyard replanted in 2001.
Last edited by Bob Hughes on December 9th, 2020, 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by James Lyon »

Yeah, a huge thank you to David and everyone else for their contributions and donations over the years including this crazy 2020. My SO is on the board at The Humane Society of Charlotte, so I'm grateful for your continued support of all the furry friends. We recently donated a tasting of Oregon wines to the Humane Society for their annual Gala auction a few months ago. Hopefully, we can schedule the tasting in the very near future and open some bottles of Goodfellow, Patty Green (or late 90's Torii Mor), Cameron, Eyrie, Walter Scott and Thomas.

And thanks to Jim A. for the generous offer. Let's make this a week of Patty Green wines. I'll try to open one bottle or split of PGC every night and post a note here. If anyone has any favorite vintages or a specific wine, please let me know and I'll try to open a bottle. We opened a bottle of 1999 Torii Mor Balcombe Pinot* on Sunday night at the local restaurants social distanced Christmas show and it was exceptional with many years ahead. Also opened a 2004 PGC Croft Pinot the Saturday after Thanksgiving and it was amazing.

Kudos to all!

* Jim A. can clarify, but at a minimum I think that Patty and Jim completed the 1999 harvest at Torii Mor before starting PGC. Then again, I could be very wrong.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Thanks for doing this David. Coincidentally, our dog Oreo who was rescued had his initial vet evaluation at Dakin after he was found on the streets in Springfield, MA. I'll plan to open a Goodfellow pinot tonight.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by T. Melloni »

Jim Anderson wrote: December 8th, 2020, 5:55 pm Been trying to think of something to juice the numbers here. We donated 40% of the revenue of a 2016 Pinot Noir bottling to a local no-kill animal shelter so this is firmly in our winery’s wheelhouse.

Woo Hoo.
I now know what I am opening. May have to do t Berserker Cuvee Vertical of the '13 and the '14!
Thanks.

Plus some teeny tiny winery wines from Kelley Fox arrived this week so I can add one of those to the mix.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines. . .

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#18 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Thanks David and Jim. Remarkably generous and a fine cause. Oregon wines will be on deck after the currently open Chianti and Aussie Pinot.

RT

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#19 Post by Jim Anderson »

2017 Bethel Heights Estate Vineyard “Casteel” Pinot Noir:

Dark color. Really dark actually. Cocoa, kirsch, stewed raspberries and spiced wood. Concentrated upfront fruit resonating with the intense kirsch/raspberry aromatics. Tannins come on mid-palate and pull flavors back into the acid driven finish. Dense, chewy. Would be a good foil for a brisket based burger or a steak. Lots of impact. A little unwieldy and youthfully disjointed right now suggesting some harmonizing over time. Definitely good stuff.

Could NOT get a photo to attach despite several efforts and different pictures. Fail.

<Edit> Went to the computer and it worked.
BH (2).jpg
Last edited by Jim Anderson on December 9th, 2020, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

No worries!

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Old Vine Pommard Lewman Vineyard

Marcus knocked this one out of the park. Complex perfume of dried blackberry, raspberry, cherry cola, tea leaves, creme de violette, and rose petals with smoky minerality, black pepper, and baking spices wafting from the glass when coaxed with some air. On the palate the wine is expansive, with a purity of tart black and red fruits supported by silky tannins and bright acidity. There is an impressively long finish of black cherry, raspberry, mocha, black pepper, and a touch of smoke.

With no decant this wine is surprisingly open for early drinking pleasure, but I’m sure it has a long life ahead of it.

Last edited by Brian S t o t t e r on December 9th, 2020, 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2021 WOTY Candidates:

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

I don’t know Brian. I might have to deduct $2.50 for a sideways photo. ;)

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Fixed it

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by Jim Anderson »

2015 Trathen Hall La Chenaie Vineyard Pinot Noir:
E4BFC258-BADB-46FC-A2E1-113106EC813F.jpeg
Certainly a teeny tiny producer by case size but not by experience or spirit. Blair Trathen was the winemaker at Shea Wine Cellars from 2013-2018 and worked many more Oregon and New Zealand (he’s native) harvest and Arabella Hall who has worked many Oregon harvests for a number of wineries have this as their private label. This is a delicious bottle. Racy acidity especially considering the vintage. Duels with the ripe fruit to give a spiced red apple skin and red plum flesh note to the aromatics and flavor. Mild but persistent and elegant tannins carry the flavors. Pretty long if not super-complex. Drinking really well and while it’s not at apex it’s certainly enjoyable. Good stuff and great people. Blair worked the 2020 harvest with me and my crew. Wish I had results to show for his efforts.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Thank you for doing this David, both for choosing Oregon and Berserkers, and donating to Dakin Humane Society.

2020 has obviously been unmatched in society wide challenges, but I have come to marvel at this years ability to add personal “eff you”s to us individually. We began the year with three fuzzy friends and have lost all three this year. It’s just strange not having cats, or a dog and I really appreciate a chance to give the bird back to 2020(even if it’s only in my own head).

We’ll match the donation on any TNs on wines from producers in the Deep Roots Coalition.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 9th, 2020, 5:55 pm Thank you for doing this David, both for choosing Oregon and Berserkers, and donating to Dakin Humane Society.

2020 has obviously been unmatched in society wide challenges, but I have come to marvel at this years ability to add personal “eff you”s to us individually. We began the year with three fuzzy friends and have lost all three this year. It’s just strange not having cats, or a dog and I really appreciate a chance to give the bird back to 2020(even if it’s only in my own head).

We’ll match the donation on any TNs on wines from producers in the Deep Roots Coalition.
Thanks Marcus. Losing a furry friend always sucks.

I hate to sound out of touch, but what is the Deep Roots Coalition?

Scott Tallman

#27 Post by Scott Tallman »

This is a great reason to pop corks on some Oregon Pinots I’ve been meaning to open...for animal charity. Thanks David (and Jim & Marcus)! Very sorry to hear about losing the fur friends, Marcus. Always enjoyed seeing them.

I’m sticking to a Heater Allen Blanc Pils tonight, but will soon open a 2008 Matello Whistling Ridge PN, 2008 Biggio-Hamina Zenith PN & 2010 PGC Four Winds PN.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Scott Tallman

#28 Post by Scott Tallman »

Deep Roots is a group of Oregon wineries producing wines solely from dry-farmed vineyards. Admittedly, almost every single one of my favorite Oregon wineries is a member.

http://www.deeprootscoalition.org/
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Jim Anderson »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 9th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 9th, 2020, 5:55 pm Thank you for doing this David, both for choosing Oregon and Berserkers, and donating to Dakin Humane Society.

Thanks Marcus. Losing a furry friend always sucks.

I hate to sound out of touch, but what is the Deep Roots Coalition?

Group and wineries aside, the rare tastings we put on were basically Oregon Pinot dork heaven.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Thanks.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

EF3CD2E2-FA4E-49DB-956E-5C41AF164BF2.jpeg
We’ll start with bubbles...two labels helmed by people that I am very happy to support, and who do really good work. Both wines wanted 20 minutes to open up, but both show the potential in Willamette Valley sparkling wines. First...

Mellen-Meyer Blanc de Blanc NV Johan Vineyard disgorged 2/2/17
Stony nose, almonds, ocean water, a hint of nuttiness/marzipan(cellared for a year this is evolving well.) Gains richness, a little grilled bread, nectarine, apples, hint of guava, but still nicely taut. Excellent length and balance. Excellent breed and layering, and a very solid effort. Full disclosure, Bobby Rowett, the winemaker, used to work for me.

Second...
2014 Lundeen Blanc de Noirs La Canterra vineyard. 42 months in tirage, disgorged summer 2018. This took a bit to knit together, but wow...it has, and I am impressed. Floral, leesy, light red and white fruits, all in a startling delicious package. Palate is perfectly balanced. I drink a lot of grower Champagnes, and am simply jaded when it comes to bubbles from other regions, but this wine is delivering everything I would expect from good grower fizz. My only knock is that the mousse dissipates a bit more in the glass than I like over time in the glass, so I would definitely recommend tall slender glassware.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on December 9th, 2020, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Scott Tallman wrote: December 9th, 2020, 6:09 pm Deep Roots is a group of Oregon wineries producing wines solely from dry-farmed vineyards. Admittedly, almost every single one of my favorite Oregon wineries is a member.

This.

At my first Deep Roots tasting as a member, I looked around and realized that every Oregon Pinot Noir in my cellar was from a member winery.
Winemaker & Owner

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by Jim Anderson »

2011 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru
F37151DF-ED76-41C1-BE10-3FE5BF478B58.jpeg
F37151DF-ED76-41C1-BE10-3FE5BF478B58.jpeg (32.86 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Not much on the nose. Red and dark fruits mix up nicely if not in some sort of complex way. A little dustiness in there and some acid and tannin. It’s good but like in that “how do you like your bran muffin? Oh, it’s, you know, good.” sort of way. Little palate density. It’s good. Like a decent glass pour kind of good but not something you’re wicked excited about. If you were having appetizers with a business colleague (pre-Covid) and you had to talk about blueprints to a small warehouse you were building and what sort of light fixtures you needed to order this would be a good wine to order a glass of.

<Edit> Not sure what is going on with the mobile and adding photos. It’s been a struggle and this one was especially weirdly difficult for some reason and I’m not going back to figure out how to fix it.
Last edited by Jim Anderson on December 9th, 2020, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by ChrisJames »

2017 Biggio Hamina “BiHa” Van Van Deuzer Corridor AVA Pinot Noir

Per Todd Hamina: All Holmes Gap vineyard, 100% pommard, 100% whole cluster, 20% new French oak. The BiHa AVA bottlings are intended as more as “restaurant” wines than vin de garde. Natural cork. $17 retail.

A very light red color. Nice red fruit on the nose without being sweet. Light bodied, soft on the palate, and an easy drinker while still retaining delicious earthy substance and character. A sneaky wine, if you pay attention, it keeps getting richer and deeper, but the bottle might get quaffed too quickly to matter. I can see this wine appealing to a wide range of people. It is what it is meant to be. Charming and friendly. A sweet kiss. But if you wanted a wine that throws you down on the couch and has its way with you, this is perhaps not that wine.

A thing that really impressed me is that I have had 2007, 2011, 2013, and 2017 BH AVA wines and they have all had remarkably consistent character. Todd never had an identity crisis. Well done.

Thank you Todd. Thank you David! [cheers.gif]
Attachments
2017 BiHa.JPG

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by ChrisJames »

2007 Biggio Hamina Momtazi

From the legendary shitty 2007 vintage.

Decanted four hours. Remarkably this wine has a deeper color than the 2017 AVA. All around more substantial. Lots of dark scents leapt from the glass with this one. My wife insisted there was a sootiness as from a charred wood. I never really got that. But I did get fennel root. She harrumphed me. We agreed on Marionberry and worn saddle leather. Later her soot comment changed into French toast, as in the smell of a griddle. I got very nice cigar tobacco on the finish. And we both got that lovely fresh scent of forest path after a rain. Still surprisingly tannic for its age. This had a twist top. Perhaps that has retarded aging? I still have two bottles and will drink them over the next two years as I think it is in its peak drinking window.

Thanks Todd. Thanks David! [cheers.gif]
Attachments
Momtazi glass.JPG
2007 BH Momtazi.JPG

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by brigcampbell »

You drink a shitty 2007 and bust out "marionberry."?

That's epic oregon homer note there, well played.

OSU - home of the marionberry and the modern maraschino cherry.

Go beavers!

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Max S. »

2018 Patricia Green Cellars Freedom Hill Dijon 115

I'm still learning how to identify things, so not sure how accurate this is. Day 1, super tight, swirled in a Zalto Burgundy for about 2 hours through the William Kelley chat and it's not moving much. Dark fruits, but not sure what. Smells a little like the Christmas tree I don't have this year. I've got nothing beyond that, hoping I can hold the other bottle for 5 years or so. Just wish it wasn't too big for the slots in my wine cellar.

Last edited by Max S. on December 9th, 2020, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#38 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

ChrisJames wrote: December 9th, 2020, 6:49 pm 2007 Biggio Hamina Momtazi

From the legendary shitty 2007 vintage.

Decanted four hours. Remarkably this wine has a deeper color than the 2017 AVA. All around more substantial. Lots of dark scents leapt from the glass with this one. My wife insisted there was a sootiness as from a charred wood. I never really got that. But I did get fennel root. She harrumphed me. We agreed on Marionberry and worn saddle leather. Later her soot comment changed into French toast, as in the smell of a griddle. I got very nice cigar tobacco on the finish. And we both got that lovely fresh scent of forest path after a rain. Still surprisingly tannic for its age. This had a twist top. Perhaps that has retarded aging? I still have two bottles and will drink them over the next two years as I think it is in its peak drinking window.

Thanks Todd. Thanks David! [cheers.gif]
High whole cluster wines often darken with age. They also will often show a little bricking when young and then tighten up and the hue intensifies.

[cheers.gif]
Winemaker & Owner

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Kris Patten »

Trying to sort out some new house Pinot for my wife.

2019 Four Graces Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley very primary still, no surprise, red fruited in a raspberry sort of way, moderate + tannins at this point, and a bit of youthful juiciness. Nose has a touch of spice, but still too young to really sparkle.

2018 Willamette Valley Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley is much more serious in nose and palate. More power, a touch darker fruited, good spice, acid and persistence.

2019 Adelsheim Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley is lighter bodied than the Four Graces, more cranberries and cedar, with a pretty nose of bramble and flowers.

Thanks for taking the time to donate David. I had a great rescue named Buddy who lived to be 18. Will check in on them tomorrow for day 2.
ITB

J0seph S c h e n c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by J0seph S c h e n c k »

2007 Patricia Green Pinot Reserve

Popped and poured, this is stunning. This is why you drink Oregon pinot. Wow. Aromatically light on its feet with lighter red tones, spice, dirty forest. The palate shows terrific structure and red crunchy skinned cranberry fruit that finishes smooth, light and with great acid. A terrific bottle of wine from a shitty vintage. Most excellent job, Jim and Patty.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by James Lyon »

Patricia Green Cellars 2013 Berserkers' Cuvee

The OG BC. Lighter in color than I remembered. Perfumed nose with some cedar and evergreen. Burnt cherry with cranberry notes. Still very youthful. I imagine this will gain weight overnight. I will report back tomorrow.

In lieu of a holiday luncheon, my SO's company gifted all of the employees a catered dinner today. Our dinner of Sea Bass paired perfectly with the 2018 Goodfellow Dundee Hills Chardonnay.

IMG_1817 (1).jpg
IMG_1817 (1).jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

J0seph S c h e n c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by J0seph S c h e n c k »

2017 Arterberry Maresh Chardonnay Dux Vineyard Dundee Hills

Chalk, saline, salty air with 1 atom of matchstick. Imagine the perfect wine with oysters. This is #3. Just a beautiful balance of fruit, acid, minimal oak. I close my eyes and can (barely...damn covid) recall sitting on their porch overlooking their beautiful vineyard, the sound of gunfire blazing away. Great bottle of wine that is drinking extremely well now.

Doug Uno
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Doug Uno »

2010 Patricia Green Cellars Durant Vineyard Bishop Block

100% Pommard clone planted in 1973. I remember talking to Jim and Marcus on this forum and loving their description of this wine while in barrel. At 10 years old, the wine is slightly browning with a light rim. The nose was an intoxicating mix of forest floor, mushrooms, black tea, red currant, and smoke, with a hint of cinnamon. Medium light on the palate, the wine nicely balanced red fruit, a savory element, and an acid spine. The finish was long, smooth, and easy to drink! Glad to have a couple more bottles to enjoy!
Attachments
5C312D86-C2DC-4EAB-9914-65DA781A4463.jpeg

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Robert Dentice »

Thanks for doing this David. I have really been digging Oregon this year.

2007 Cameron Clos Electrique Rouge - I did not realize 2007 was suppose to be an off year when I opened this. The wine was beautiful. The cellartracker notes are all over the place, some say it has too much Cameron funk and others say too little. I thought it was young, fresh and just the right amount of funk. There was a distinct iron note, with some old leather characteristics, a little smokiness and very deep black cherry fruit with all flavors in complete harmony.
ITB - source | material

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Jim,

This is just plain awesome!! What a kind & generous offer. You have always been so kind, from the first time we met where you stayed late to walk me through my first barrel tasting of the 2005 vintage, to your willingness to fly to Boston to join us for a tasting.

Kindness begets kindness. What a VERY generous offer. This should open the flood gates for PGC notes. Im pulling out a few more for this.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#46 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

Robert Dentice wrote: December 10th, 2020, 3:12 am 2007 Cameron Clos Electrique Rouge - I did not realize 2007 was suppose to be an off year when I opened this. The wine was beautiful.
This really is a beauty...aka: Super Sh!tty. I've got 3 bottles of 6 left. Your note isn't making it easier to be patient!

RT

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Robert Dentice »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:48 am
Robert Dentice wrote: December 10th, 2020, 3:12 am 2007 Cameron Clos Electrique Rouge - I did not realize 2007 was suppose to be an off year when I opened this. The wine was beautiful.
This really is a beauty...aka: Super Sh!tty. I've got 3 bottles of 6 left. Your note isn't making it easier to be patient!

RT
Not sure when you had you last bottle. This is drinking very well.
ITB - source | material

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by brigcampbell »

Max S. wrote: December 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm

I'm still learning how to identify things, so not sure how accurate this is.
Practice and don't be afraid to cheat. Take your own impressions and the look at other tasting notes for the wine and see if you can identify what others might find.

The wheel is great for just looking at while tasting, it'll help you run "down the funnel". That's what we call it, "taking it down the funnel" by starting high level and getting more granular.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Max S. »

brigcampbell wrote: December 10th, 2020, 11:05 am
Max S. wrote: December 9th, 2020, 8:06 pm

I'm still learning how to identify things, so not sure how accurate this is.
Practice and don't be afraid to cheat. Take your own impressions and the look at other tasting notes for the wine and see if you can identify what others might find.

The wheel is great for just looking at while tasting, it'll help you run "down the funnel". That's what we call it, "taking it down the funnel" by starting high level and getting more granular.
I've been meaning to practice more. I think I'm going to try one of those smelling kits - I cant remember the last time I smelled anise for example.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by brigcampbell »

Max S. wrote: December 10th, 2020, 11:23 am
I've been meaning to practice more. I think I'm going to try one of those smelling kits - I cant remember the last time I smelled anise for example.
you mean black licorice or fennel? [wow.gif]

Return to “Wine Talk”