UPDATE U-TURN: Week 4 Virtual Tasting - Get your RHINE On - Brian Tuite - Redwood Empire Food Bank DEC16 - DEC23

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

UPDATE U-TURN: Week 4 Virtual Tasting - Get your RHINE On - Brian Tuite - Redwood Empire Food Bank DEC16 - DEC23

#1 Post by Brian Tuite »

UPDATE: 48hrs to go and things are slowing down, maybe we all need a palate cleanser after all this Zinfandel. For DEC 22nd & 22rd you can add a Rhine White and I’ll donate $5 for each of those notes on top of the $10 for each Zinfandel note. Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Müller-Thurgau, Silvaner, Pinot Gris... Whatcha say? Let’s finish this week strong!

This week we are tasting and toasting to Zinfandel/Tribidrag/Primitivo/Crljenak Kastelanski, California's Heritage Grape. Your selection must contain Zinfandel but need not be 100% Zinfandel nor strictly from California. Blends are fine as well. Still wine, sparkling, sweet... as long as Zinfandel is on the label as a component I'll accept it.

I will donate $10 per tasting note to the Redwood Empire Food Bank. As an added bonus, since Fred Scherrer has shown support of REFB, if you post a note of a Scherrer Zinfandel I will double my donation from $10 to $20 for that note and every other Scherrer Zin note. 2020 has been a trying year for everyone and the REFB is there as always. Last year they served 1 of every 6 people in Sonoma, Humboldt, Del Norte, Mendocino and Lake Counties through their 3 Hunger Initiatives. In 2020 the demand has increased dramatically. Over 30,000 households are served per month since March 15th 2020 and the equivalent of over 5,000,000 meals served since the start of COVID-19.

I encourage matching donations, your money will go a long way.
For every dollar donated the REFB will distribute $4 in healthy food!
Think about it, our little drive can fund the enitre REFB for a day or more. So far I have two anonymous donors. One matching up to $500 and another up to $1,000. I humbled by their generosity.

I also encourage you to post a picture of yourself with the wine. I won't put a monetary value on that photo but hey, who are you hiding from? Maybe you’ll get some likes. [wink.gif]

So let's see those notes pile up and hungry stomachs fill up! [berserker.gif]
Last edited by Brian Tuite on December 22nd, 2020, 6:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Coming to a Virtual Tasting Thread soon - Dec 16th to be exact...

#2 Post by Brian Tuite »

Bump... Stand those bottles up!

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Coming to a Virtual Tasting Thread soon - Dec 16th to be exact...

#3 Post by brigcampbell »

Somebody got excited...

We'll start the thread tomorrow. LOL

And I opened a Carlisle already. Ha!

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Week 4 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Get your Zinfandel On - Brian Tuite - Redwood Empire Food Bank DEC16 - DEC23

#4 Post by brigcampbell »

OK, I updated the compendium using this thread and changed the title to match.

Here are a couple of links to your Cellartracker to make it easy to put a hurting on Brian's wallet:

Zinfandel in my cellar: https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp? ... =zinfandel

Scherrer zin in my cellar: https://www.cellartracker.com/query.asp ... =Zinfandel

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Week 4 Virtual Tasting for Charity - Get your Zinfandel On - Brian Tuite - Redwood Empire Food Bank DEC16 - DEC23

#5 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Got snow coming here, so it's going to be Zinfandel weather!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Cris Whetstone »

I jumped the gun last Sunday forgetting it was going to be Oregon week. I had planned on definitely popping this for Zin week. So it counts. More to come.
  • 2006 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (12/6/2020)
    The cork looked like it could have been put in in the last five years. Barely any ingress. Very richly colored still. Only a light touch of bricking. Only faint hints of oxidation of aging in the wine as well. Showing lots of plummy expression right now. A a solid dolop of tannin. Like the Petite Sirah is most awake at the moment. Tasty, rich wine with a long way to go. There is enough acid to keep all that fruit on it's skids. Long way to go here.
Posted from CellarTracker
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by brigcampbell »

Cris Whetstone wrote: December 15th, 2020, 8:56 am I jumped the gun last Sunday forgetting it was going to be Oregon week. I had planned on definitely popping this for Zin week. So it counts. More to come.
    The cork looked like it could have been put in in the last five years. Barely any ingress. Very richly colored still. Only a light touch of bricking. Only faint hints of oxidation of aging in the wine as well. Showing lots of plummy expression right now. A a solid dolop of tannin. Like the Petite Sirah is most awake at the moment. Tasty, rich wine with a long way to go. There is enough acid to keep all that fruit on it's skids. Long way to go here.
Too funny, I went to pull that exact wine from my closet last night and the slot was empty... "missing or drunk".

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian Tuite »

brigcampbell wrote: December 15th, 2020, 9:39 am
Cris Whetstone wrote: December 15th, 2020, 8:56 am I jumped the gun last Sunday forgetting it was going to be Oregon week. I had planned on definitely popping this for Zin week. So it counts. More to come.
Too funny, I went to pull that exact wine from my closet last night and the slot was empty... "missing or drunk".
Has Cris been over recently? [whistle.gif]

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by M. Dildine »

I just looked and I have some Zinfandel to drink. Kudos to Brian (and Fred Scherrer) for this virtual tasting! A very good cause.
Cheers,

Mike

Pat K

#10 Post by Pat K »

Got Scherrer but it's a Dry Rose' of Syrah. Bought some this spring as Fred & Judi really seemed to need the support at that time. Believe they may have been working the vineyards during day and packing wine at night. To keep the lights on....

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian Tuite »

I received another anonymous matching donation offer today up to $1,000.00. The generosity of the Berserkers shines strong, thanks so much! You are all making a big difference for a lot of people this Holiday Season.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Greg Gardner »

I’ve had a Bedrock ‘19 Old Hill standing up since the box arrived - here’s my reason to pull a cork!

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Cris Whetstone »

Brian Tuite wrote: December 15th, 2020, 10:34 am
Strangely, the purchase history lists "fell off a truck" as the store. [dontknow.gif]
WetRock

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brian Tuite »

Cris Whetstone wrote: December 16th, 2020, 10:16 am
Brian Tuite wrote: December 15th, 2020, 10:34 am

Strangely, the purchase history lists "fell off a truck" as the store. [dontknow.gif]
Now we’re getting somewhere rolleyes

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#15 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

• 2018 Ridge Zinfandel Pagani Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/16/2020)
    Early, early, early and tight/linear as a result. There’s a lot to unpack here, but time is needed to do so. The oak averse should hold off, but several hours of air bring the bramble fruit to the front, and it’s a clear view to a classic Ridge Zin in another 10-12 years. I just doubt I will be able to wait.
B1A7BA03-961E-4D13-AD46-53203E2ADB50.jpeg

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by brigcampbell »

• 2018 Carlisle Zinfandel Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (12/16/2020)
    This touches on all the facets of a Carlisle zin. Deep crimson color. The nose has bright red berries and bramble. Palate is terrific, red berries and tart cherry. Fruit forward but in a delicious way Medium acid and medium finish.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Brian Tuite »

Thanks for getting this going guys! [berserker.gif]
  • 2014 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/16/2020)
    Took lots of air to open up, notes from 3rd night. Bedrock nose of bramble fruit, palate of rich blackberry and tart Marion Berry, great depth, well structured and poised to remain exceptional for quite some time. Very impressive.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Steve Gautier »

I drink a lot of Zinfandel with most of it from Bedrock and Carlisle so I thought this would be a good start to the week.
  • 2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/16/2020)
    PnP. Nose of muted blueberries. Palate is smooth and mature with limited fruit. Has a savory aspect where nothing much sticks out except for some bramble. Nice but nothing special. I would say it’s time to drink up soon. (90 pts.)
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Brian Tuite »

Bought this from Fred last year according to Cellartracker. Sure had great provenance!
2F009620-1C43-4F84-AEB0-94EABD492FB7.jpeg

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Adam G

#20 Post by Adam G »

2018 Pedroncelli Zinfandel Rose
Excellent aromas of strawberry, lemon, watermelon. A hint of some brambly funkiness. Light red fruit flavours, also some apple. Strong acidity, but rounded, lots of minerality, and a strawberry-lemonade finish with some sage or something of the sort at the end of the finish. Another nice vintage of this.
A. Gr0ssm@n

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Turley.jpg
2017 Turley Rattlesnake Ridge Zinfandel, Howell Mountain

Typical Turley profile with a bit of black pepper on the nose and just a little extra juiciness on the palate. (Sensations of) alcohol nicely in check when served at cellar temp in the Grassl Cru glass. Delicious in that big ripe fruit-forward way.

Bonus reflection selfie-portrait!

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#22 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Cross-posting from the Carlisle thread . . .

2014 Carlisle Zinfandel Dupratt Vineyard - Starting to try some of Mike's 14's . . . I've been drinking Carlisle zinfandels for almost 2 decades and probably drink more of these than any other wine. So when I say "WOW" it's really a standout for me. Loved this one! Bright fruit and interesting spices. I saved half the bottle and will revisit tonight. Delicious.
carlisledupratt14.jpg

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#23 Post by Dave McIsaac »

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: December 17th, 2020, 12:41 pm Cross-posting from the Carlisle thread . . .

2014 Carlisle Zinfandel Dupratt Vineyard - Starting to try some of Mike's 14's . . . I've been drinking Carlisle zinfandels for almost 2 decades and probably drink more of these than any other wine. So when I say "WOW" it's really a standout for me. Loved this one! Bright fruit and interesting spices. I saved half the bottle and will revisit tonight. Delicious.

carlisledupratt14.jpg
Steady hands pouring that, Sherri?!?! [snort.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Sean S y d n e y »

2015 Scholium Project FTP-Z

My first Scholium wine opened by a friend - I knew what I was getting into going in by reputation, and as someone who doesn't love overtly natty wine I was mentally preparing myself. I am assured that this was Zinfandel by the label! Upon opening, there seemed to be a bit of what could have been mouse but was mostly dominated by herbal stemminess. Otherwise, if you had told me it was a very naturalista Syrah I'd have believed you; there was a distinct olive-brine-on-the-verge-of-pickle-brine character to the palate with soft and broad dark red and purple fruits. If you've ever had Herve Souhaut's Souteronne, it was somewhat like that; halfway between Gamay and Syrah. Fresh enough, herbal finish. Not my thing, but pretty cool that they were extremely old own-rooted vines. Can't say I wouldn't have liked to see those vines at work in a more mainstream/normcore style, though.

(unfortunately not drank chez moi so no photo of me with the bottle.)

Thank you to Brian and your matchers for your generosity.
Attachments
131574289_462456531437923_1521076611930415131_n.jpg
Instagram: @seansydney

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#25 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Dave McIsaac wrote: December 17th, 2020, 1:12 pm
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: December 17th, 2020, 12:41 pm Cross-posting from the Carlisle thread . . .

carlisledupratt14.jpg
Steady hands pouring that, Sherri?!?! [snort.gif]
LOL! I finally got some of those small boston rounds bottles (to save wine for night 2 without air exposure) - had a little issue with the funnel on the first one! Wasted some wine and as you noticed, dripped all over the label!

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#26 Post by Steve Gautier »

Steve Gautier wrote: December 16th, 2020, 5:17 pm I drink a lot of Zinfandel with most of it from Bedrock and Carlisle so I thought this would be a good start to the week.
  • 2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/16/2020)
    PnP. Nose of muted blueberries. Palate is smooth and mature with limited fruit. Has a savory aspect where nothing much sticks out except for some bramble. Nice but nothing special. I would say it’s time to drink up soon. (90 pts.)
Night two after VinVac and stored in fridge. I liked this much better without food. Black fruit with a trace and blue fruit framed a wonderful bramble streak. Maybe it does have more time left.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Roger Ouellette »

Brian, I saw your tasting note for Fred's '16 The Hill and was enticed to grab three of them (and three of the '17s as well).

Glad to support you and your worthy cause.

2016 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel The Hill Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley
This pours out medium dark in the glass. First whiff is ripe blackberries and the slightest hint of camphor. Very juicy with loads of bright red and blue fruit, black cherry, raspberry and more blackberry. Still very young with some raspy edges that should resolve over time into something even more awesome.

And for some bonus points, here is "The Hill"

WsOTY (2020):

Dessert:
2003 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Haut-Lieu
White:
2017 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Blanc Barbie Freedom Hill Vineyard
Red:
1993 Dehlinger Syrah

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Brian Tuite »

Roger Ouellette wrote: December 17th, 2020, 3:38 pm Brian, I saw your tasting note for Fred's '16 The Hill and was enticed to grab three of them (and three of the '17s as well).

Glad to support you and your worthy cause.

2016 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel The Hill Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley
This pours out medium dark in the glass. First whiff is ripe blackberries and the slightest hint of camphor. Very juicy with loads of bright red and blue fruit, black cherry, raspberry and more blackberry. Still very young with some raspy edges that should resolve over time into something even more awesome.

And for some bonus points, here is "The Hill"

Thanks for the picture Roger, lends some perspective, and for the reminder to go pick up my wines from Fred.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Pat K

#29 Post by Pat K »

Moving on from OR to Zinfandel. One of our favorite grapes. But we were running low, so within the past year have added Turley, Bedrock, and Carlisle for future enjoyment. Wish I had a Scherrer....but no Zin.

2009 Jus Soli Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley

Purple to garnet, fading to rosy on the rim. Medium legs. Aromas are dark fruit dominant: blackberry, blueberry, and dark cherry. Subtle but noted are prune, vanilla, oak, light toast, cinnamon, clove, mint and cocoa. Just a bit of jam. On the palate, jam and cocoa strengthen, dark fruit maintains, others fade. Medium/full body, silky texture, medium plus finish, below medium acidity. The tannins have clearly softened. Might just be at prime. Drink now.

Cheers and hope to the Food Bank recipients!

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#30 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

• 2015 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Block 1910 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/17/2020)
    High flavor, high octane, high enjoyment. I am really glad I have tomorrow off, because I am going to consume a lot of this. It’s surprisingly bright and red fruited, where I expected something a bit more dark and perhaps even thick when I saw the 15.1% alcohol on the label. Of course I should never doubt Jake.
03D064D6-DB59-4B89-9892-3AC036D1A6C2.jpeg

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#31 Post by JDavisRoby »

carlisledupratt14.jpg
Sherri,

What type of glass do your normally drink Carlisle Zin from?
Joshu@

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by M. Dildine »

• 2018 Ridge Zinfandel Pagani Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/17/2020)
    14.9% abv. Dark ruby, expressive aromatics. On the palate, sweet blue fruit, raspberry, pomegranate and mint. Very precocious and, in fact, primary at this early stage, but it is already delicious. (93 pts.)
Cheers,

Mike

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:01 pm
  • 2015 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Block 1910 - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/17/2020)
    High flavor, high octane, high enjoyment. I am really glad I have tomorrow off, because I am going to consume a lot of this. It’s surprisingly bright and red fruited, where I expected something a bit more dark and perhaps even thick when I saw the 15.1% alcohol on the label. Of course I should never doubt Jake.
I recently opened the ‘14 vintage if 1910 and was floored by how good it was. Well worth the tariff.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by M. Dildine »

Brian Tuite wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:16 pm
I recently opened the ‘14 vintage if 1910 and was floored by how good it was. Well worth the tariff.
I think the '18 will be a stunner!
Cheers,

Mike

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#35 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

M. Dildine wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:17 pm
Did the name change for the 2018?

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by M. Dildine »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:24 pm

No, new label and I believe a new winemaker. The name is still 1910.
Cheers,

Mike

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#37 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

M. Dildine wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:52 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:24 pm

No, new label and I believe a new winemaker. The name is still 1910.
Thanks. I checked, and it’s the 1023 that got a new moniker.

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#38 Post by AD Northup »

2015 Bedrock Pagani - Opened for the HVS Pagani virtual tasting. Decanted 3+ hours before first pour. Really really dark color, I assume because of the Alicante B and petite sirah. Still pretty tough tannins up front, but definitely more resolves than a bottle a year ago. Really nice dark fruit on the outside of the tongue at first, that gets followed by some really nice vibrant blue fruits. Finish is nice and long, with an acidic streak. Everything I love about Pagani, but feel like this one needs a number of years to start peaking.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by brigcampbell »

How about this, I'll match Brian's donation for anyone that post a note on this wine. What do you have to lose?
  • 2018 Cline Cellars Zinfandel Old Vines - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (12/17/2020)
    Okay... I know but this was an early introduction for me to Zinfandel many moons ago. Time to revisit. Grabbed it at trader joe's.

Shocking how good this wine is and only $8. I'm sure the 2018 vintage had a role in that outcome. But still, this is a serious wine.

Great clarity, red garnet color. Nose is red berries, dark molasses and hay,

I was worried the nose might lead to residual sugar and a sloppy mess. Nope, straight up zin berry, tart cranberry and medium light oak toast.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#40 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

I am going to try to find a bottle!

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#41 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

JDavisRoby wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:07 pm

carlisledupratt14.jpg
Sherri,

What type of glass do your normally drink Carlisle Zin from?
I drink most red wine in Grassl 1855s. Love them!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Brian Tuite »

brigcampbell wrote: December 17th, 2020, 5:09 pm How about this, I'll match Brian's donation for anyone that post a note on this wine. What do you have to lose?
  • 2018 Cline Cellars Zinfandel Old Vines - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (12/17/2020)
    Okay... I know but this was an early introduction for me to Zinfandel many moons ago. Time to revisit. Grabbed it at trader joe's.

Shocking how good this wine is and only $8. I'm sure the 2018 vintage had a role in that outcome. But still, this is a serious wine.

I was worried the nose might lead to residual sugar and a sloppy mess. Nope, straight up zin berry, tart cranberry and medium light oak toast.
No expense spared at the Campbell residence! I may just run down to Trader Joe’s just to make you spend $10 more! [snort.gif]

Working on this beaut tonight, giving it some O2 right now.
4C0ABF7C-8513-416D-82BB-3CBEEF45F37D.jpeg
Last edited by Brian Tuite on December 17th, 2020, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by brigcampbell »

Do it!

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Cris Whetstone »

I have to hit TJ's in the next couple days. I'll try one though my goes with Cline have not been great. I also want to try that Syrah Tom Hill is on about.
WetRock

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#45 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

brigcampbell wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:16 pmDo it!
My local shop only has the Ancient Vines.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by brigcampbell »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:32 pm

I'll count it. You'll have to spend $14... LOL

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#47 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

brigcampbell wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:37 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:32 pm

I'll count it. You'll have to spend $14... LOL
I’ll go get one Saturday.

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#48 Post by Paul Miller »

brigcampbell wrote: December 17th, 2020, 5:09 pm How about this, I'll match Brian's donation for anyone that post a note on this wine. What do you have to lose?

Have some friends who LOVE this wine.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Cris Whetstone »

Next up, checking out another '18 Ridge before laying them down. I'll hit my cellar this weekend and find another Zin or two for the balance of the week.
  • 2018 Ridge Lytton Springs - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (12/16/2020)
    Big ripe forward Zinberry fruits. Jumps up. Much more fruit forward than the Geyserville is. Hints of new Am oak. Not showing a lot of extraction. Winemaker notes on the bottle seem to concur. That leaves the palate feeling somewhat more structured than you would have expected by the smell. Medium light tannin over a solid acidic spine. This came off a bit more out of balance on night one. Night two saw the more balanced version. There is a bit of warmth. Where the Geyserville seemed like an Old World wine of indeterminate origin, the '18 Lytton S is clearly a classic CA Zin. Given the ripeness I think the PS and Carignan are lending a lot of the structure. My only pause on extended aging is the relatively high ABV. But overall a strong CA Zin blend. I'd let this rest another year or two before digging in if you can wait to let that oak integrate a bit better and for it to relax onto it's bone a bit more. Of course this should age longer than that without a second thought.
WetRock

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#50 Post by Paul Miller »

I'm a big Zin fan, so was excited about this. But then...

2014 Bedrock, Kirschenmann Vineyard
I don't think this wine is corked, but it just isn't good. The bottom has completely fallen out. It's just structure and no fruit. Started off earthy, almost dirty tasting. No spice, no pepper, no fruit. Just fermented grape juice. It's not "bad" nor undrinkable, it's just not pleasurable. I saw on CT someone recently said it was past prime and to drink up. I think he was correct.

So here's my pic. Sorry. I'll try and do better another night.

aab9a6ff5ec67a0534f21811db41ae36.jpg

Kinda glad this is bottom-paged.

Return to “Wine Talk”