If you could go back in time and collect one Bordeaux wine consistently over the years...?

So, I have not tasted extensive Bordeaux’s over significant time as I tend to buy new world wines. I am 37 and would like to know if there is one chateau that you would buy year after year, which one is it? And Why? I would award extra points for it being a reasonable price $50-100 at offering. (Sorry if this has been asked before) newhere

If you like more classically proportioned Bordeaux:

If only given one choice:
Leoville Barton. For me the most consistent value player among classed growths, and much to my palate preference. They age effortlessly and are honest wines. I also appreciated that when Bordeaux pricing was really escalating in the early 00’s that Anthony Lurton kept prices fair.

Sociando Mallet for less money than that. Try one with some age before deciding if you like it. I love it, but many do not like the flavor profile.

L Evangile

Note it will be important to discern your style preference within the Bordeaux universe (Pauillac versus Pomerol for example). You may end up buying decades worth of Pauillac (Cabernet-based blend) when it turns out you are a Pomerol drinker (Merlot-based blend).

That disclaimer out of the way, buying as Futures allows many great wines right in your wheelhouse.

As Futures:
~$90-100 per bottle: Chateau Lynch Bages; 5th Growth that delivers everything in a classic Pauillac style
~$45 per bottle: Chateau Lagrange; One of those excellent wines that punches well above its weight
~$30 per bottle: Chateau Gloria; A “daily drinker” a couple decades ago whose price caught up with its reputation

if you are asking which you should buy each year from here, i think that may be a very different question than going back in time and doing it. mostly because of how prices have changed over the last 20 years.

for me, going back in time I would probably try to get LMHB each year. its unaffordable for me now and has been since I started getting into wine. but 20 years ago…?

from now foward: im fairly committed to my Chateau Canon and Calon Segur verticals.

That’s an interesting choice for sure. I had read that it is the bordeaux property that has been owned the longest by a single family. Maybe there’s something to tradition:)

What’s LMHB? newhere

sorry, La Mission Haut Brion

La Mission Haut Brion, and Matt is right on. That is the Bordeaux I a have most of, but no longer buy for the reasons he stated.

Assuming I’m not a Millionaire, Trotanoy or VCC

Or on a budget, Batailley

Keeping to reasonable pricing, Leoville Barton. I bought some but not enough.

In a more forward style, Malescot St. Exupéry.

1 Like

Prior to 1995 all the First Growths were between $50 and $100, so I am not losing any brownie points by saying I would buy only Lafite and Latour.

I realize what I said above. I think I am more trying to get in front and buy some over the next 5-10 years that I would enjoy into my 60’s.

2 Likes

Montrose
Leoville Barton
Pichon Lalande
Magdelaine (now gone, but you said back in time!)
Trotanoy or Vieux Chateau Certain if I felt more spendy
And the classic cellar defender, Sociando (by the case load, or 2x in vintages like 2014)

Oh well then, narrows my list down to something easy:

Leoville Barton - The 2019 is under $90. I bought the 2014 for $55. This is classic Bordeaux, always performs. Often out-performs in more challenging years. Love this wine.

Sociando Mallet - By the caseload. Almost every single year. Watch what happens post-2019, as Jean Gautreau has given up the reigns after his 1000+ year life. I hope it does not change a hair.

Price is important to 99% of all wine buyers. But if you are seeking suggestions, the style and character of a wine, along with its aging potential, based on at what age you like to drink your wine is more important. It does little good to buy well-priced wine you do not like.

FWIW, the only Bordeaux I wish I had bought more of is Lafleur.

You don’t wanna go back in time. The Bordeaux coming out now are both better and cheaper than what they were putting out 10 years ago. Back up the truck on the 2016s while you still can & buy broadly.

I always enjoy Léoville Barton, Lagrange, and Batailley, and would be happy to have more of all of them in more vintages.

1 Like

Asking what single bottle we would purchase YoY is like asking a wealthy individual what is his/her single biggest key to success. Feels incomplete, but I’ll play. If I had to narrow it down to just one, it would be VCC.

I like Alfert’s list, but for me put Haut Brion at the head of the list. Way over $100 now, but up until the 1990s or so…