Plastic wrap reduces TCA: PROVEN!?

https://www.wine-business-international.com/wine/news/proof-cling-film-removes-cork-taint

1 Like

This has been known a long time, and was even mentioned in Modernist Cuisine. However, good to see it validated in an actual journal.

Problem is that TCA strips then wine of fruit and aromatics so even though you can reduce the TCA smell it’s already done it’s damage. I just pour it down the drain and open something still alive.

2 Likes

I have found it to reduce the level of TCA if a wine is lightly affected, but for most cases it hasn’t resolved the problem.

The key is using polyethylene, as pointed out at the end of the article. The Whole foods brand fits the bill, whereas the folks at Saran Wrap have changed their formula. As Brian points out, sometimes you eliminate the wine as well. Some folks have suggested using skim milk.

I got the idea of using PE from a researcher at a large winery around the year 2000. He got the article from research done in Australia.

+1

This. You cannot reverse the effect. You can only get rid of the TCA smell.

So what’s the technique people employ? Use it as a funnel? Dunk it into the glass? How long and how much contact?

1 Like

Agreed, Lord knows I’ve tried (and most of us have I’d guess); its making the best hand of cards from an unfortunate situation.

1 Like

I have put it into a carafe and poured the wine in, but it is only marginally effective.

I had a corked magnum of 2000 Giuseppe Rinaldi Le Coste, and simply balled up the wrap and put it in the bottle overnight. Definitely worked to take out the TCA smell; the wine ended up somewhat muted but very drinkable. Clearly not ideal, but a muted Rinaldi is still better than tossing it, and those were the only two options.

No, this is not true. TCA is not a reactive molecule in wine. It does not change the chemistry of a wine, it interferes with your perception of the wine. If it were possible to remove it without affecting any of the other positive compounds, I believe you would have the original, correct wine back. The problem is that saran wrap doesn’t remove all of the TCA, and it probably affects other aspects of the wine as well, leaving it in some unknown altered state.

That’s also my understanding, I have a vague recollection of a study that confirmed.

I tried the method a few times, as I recall a particular brand and formulation was best. Unless the wine is only mildly corked, successive applications help remove more of the TCA. But, it never yielded a wine that was as good as an untainted bottle and the suspicion has been that the plastic wrap strips more than just the TCA.

I no longer bother trying to fix a corked wine, just move on.

-Al

I started to say just that, but defer to the qualified chemist!

It’s true I have a degree in chemistry, but I’m actually a lousy chemist lol.

As long as you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express you’re fine

I’ve had mixed results. Some times it has completely removed cork taint leaving an enjoyable wine. As good as a non-corked wine? I’m not sure, but definitely a day/night difference.

On other occasions it had little effect. Not sure if I used the same brand each time, though.

I put an A4 sized piece into a decanter and pour the wine over it. Give it a vigorous shake a few times and leave it a few hours. Overnight in the fridge if necessary.

It depends on whether the plastic wrap is made of polyethylene or something else. TCA binds to polyethylene, but not to other materials plastic wrap can be made of. Using wraps made of those other materials, you might just risk imparting a plastic taste to a wine that is already corked.

I think polyvinylidene chloride does a better job of binding to TCA. It was used in the original Saran wrap but removed around 2004. For a while, both formulations were in the marketplace with first formulation called something like Saran Original. But, the original may no longer be produced since there were food safety concerns from the chlorine leaching into food.

-Al