Halcon: good Blake Grey article

As a big fan of what Paul Gordon is doing with his Halcon vineyard, here’s a really nice writeup on what’s happening up there these days. One of California’s top Syrahs in my book, along with other outstanding wines (disclaimer: Paul and Jackie are good friends, which just makes it even easier to love the wines).

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2020/11/remaking-cote-rotie-in-mendocino

6 Likes

Very cool!

Interesting comments on the financials. May not be sustainable at current price-points.

Brilliant wines and good people. Good work by Blake.

And I like the Mourvedre!

Interesting. Big fan here. But all this talk of the Mourvedre I had not noticed before. I only have two bottles that I was going to sit on for a couple more years but I’m anxious to dig one out now. Looks like Gilman like the '17 at least with a 92+.

1 Like

Worth trying if you haven’t. Its a very nice wine.

Cool article.

FWIW, I think the Mourvedre is excellent. The Petite is really something else, too!

The Mourvedre is a beautiful wine: excerpt from my notes on the '17 - “A nose of slate, blossoms and forest floor along with notes of mint. Lavender and lilac on the palate with moist earth and herb and a tarry finish. Drink through 2033.” Only 70 cases produced, $38. Paul and Jackie over-deliver with their wines. Consistently low-mid 90 scores and all < $40.

1 Like

I very much enjoyed that article.

Love the wines at Halcon. And unfortunately I have a habit of drinking them quite early on. I’ve gotta build some discipline to see what happens with some age.

Well, not that unfortunate, they are fantastic.

Nice article.

Fantastic wine and great people. Was hooked after trying my first bottle this year and it quickly became a favorite, especially when considering its value. Needless to say, Halcon was my most purchased producer in 2020.

Hoping this allows me to age some bottles to get the full experience.

I love Paul and Jackie’s wines too. All their wines are excellent, most are fantastic in my opinion. I have more Halcon in my cellar than of any other winery.

Popped an Esquisto after reading that. Totally agree with others that I don’t get the confusion over the mourvedre. Unique? Sure, but still shows typicity and is really savory with a tart acid core and a great low alcohol food wine that will live a long life. All things we cherish in other wines and things I wish more new world mourvedre would strive for.

Thanks to you all for the great feedback and all the support over the years!

Paul

2 Likes