2019 JJ Prüm is very special

These wines are unique and soo delicious

4 Likes

I have 8 Different bottles downstairs awaiting early tasting.

Went deep on this vintage. Cracked a 2019 Prum Wehlener Auslese last week #forscience and it was outstanding.

Makes me wonder how insane Keller GGs will be, but that’s for another thread.

1 Like

I sure hope so. This was my first preorder vintage and I bought a fair amount (for me least). Thanks for sharing. I would love to hear from others who have tasted as well.

I was lucky enough to sample pretty much the entire range up to Auslese Goldkapsel when I visited them in September

Happy to confirm 2019 is excellent for them (preferred WS myself but GH awesome as well) and bought a lot.

Good to know, thank you. I went very deep in 2019, mostly GKs, and the wines are stuck in England. But I do have a few bottles from US sources, so planning to open a WS auslese GK in the next couple of weeks.

Seems like the Riesling lovers I know bought a good deal in 2019, and I hear it was a smallish crop. Surprised there is still some available

Besides just being good, can anyone describe what the vintage style is like?

Personally, (1) I prefer very high acids in riesling and (2) I want mostly to age rieslings for 15+ years, so is 2019 a good candidate?

FWIW, I opened a 2001 Prum WS Auslese on Thanksgiving and it tasted like it was just released. These puppies age!

1 Like

Prüm is a little larger than some of the micro estates of Germany. They aren’t Bordeaux Chateau size, but they aren’t as tiny as some.

1 Like

That bottle is epic Paul. It’s my favorite bottle vintage/producer combo of all time. Great choice!

1 Like

I haven’t had any 2019 Prum yet (just Zilliken, Lieser, Haag, and Schaefer) and I think this is an excellent vintage. From what I’ve tasted, the acid is wonderful, but I wouldn’t consider it extraordinarily high for Riesling, even though the wines are generally riper/bolder. So far, I think 2019 is pretty much a Goldilocks vintage for me (with a great combination of acidity and ripeness), but I need to taste more. I think the wines are a bit harder to get due to lower yields, but I highly suggest grabbing some.

1 Like

for some reason I haven’t been offered much 2019 Prum yet. only 6 packs of WS Kab & Aus. hopefully I’ll see more offers come across at good prices.

I went in pretty good on Donnhoff, Schaefer and Muller and at the auction.

And for that we should be grateful
Also the prices

If you’re willing to deal with wine.com, using the oft-discussed coupons can get you some Prum 19s at decent prices. I just grabbed some WS spatlese (with previous purchases of Donhoff, Adam, and Christoffel).

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

Tonight we have a Zoom Riesling BYO, and I decided to open the first of my 2019 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese GK. I decided to enjoy a quick sip before the festivities began.

The color was as expected, the nose was incredibly intense, apricots, white peaches and honeysuckle. On the palate everything seemed pretty crowded, trying to make itself heard. A spot of botrytis and spritz. Massive finish as yet not delineated. I did not give the wine much time to unfurl, that is for tonight, but even now, I am incredibly impressed. Will report later this evening, when it will have taken in a little air and been nursed in the glass for a couple of hours.

The wine unfurled beautifully in the glass. It was unexpectedly open, and the overcrowding of flavors that I noticed when it was poured initially, slowly began to loosen. This is a seriously fine bottle, and will age effortlessly for decades.

My mixed case arrived the other day. I may have to open one soon.

I bought a lot of Prum Auslese goldcapsel 2019 in half bottles . My wife and daughters LOVE them . For such a great quality , these German top wines are an incredible value .
According to my German wine merchant , they will be good till 2065 . I am not sure I will be able to check on that …

My wife doesn’t particularly like Riesling, but will drink the occasional glass. I also bought a lot of half bottles. And totally agree, Prum in general is a fantastic value, and 2019 is a steal.