Half tonight; the remainder tomorrow night. Preservation?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

Half tonight; the remainder tomorrow night. Preservation?

#1 Post by Terry H a r r i s »

For those of you who generally open a bottle but don't consume all of it that evening, leaving half a bottle or so to drink the next night, what have you found works well for preserving it so that it's still good to go that second day? Years ago I would use Vacuvin stoppers, but over time I felt that product wasn't working all that well for me and . . . well, in all honesty, I didn't often have an open bottle with any wine in it by the end of that first night. So, any recommendations for products to preserve wine overnight? [cheers.gif]
His wife told a 911 operator that she used a pruner "good for pruning roses" and that James's bleeding wasn't enough to create the "sign of the cross, or write sinner" . . . .

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Half tonight; the remainder tomorrow night. Preservation?

#2 Post by JonathanG »

Vacuvin.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Cris Whetstone »

For nearly any wines of decent quality that are youngish I don't use anything but the cork. I stand them up in the wine or regular fridge. No issues. For old wines that are well into maturity I've been using Repours lately. Most wines are not going anywhere overnight. I would think you only need to worry about something really cheap.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Chris Seiber »

The easy and cheap method that offers the maximum protection against the wine advancing is, right after opening it, to pour a portion through a funnel into a smaller container all the way to the very top (an empty half wine bottle, a plastic water bottle, whatever) and put the cork or screw cap on. Even more if you then put that into the fridge.

brodie thomson

#5 Post by brodie thomson »

Chris Seiber wrote: December 1st, 2020, 10:52 pm The easy and cheap method that offers the maximum protection against the wine advancing is, right after opening it, to pour a portion through a funnel into a smaller container all the way to the very top (an empty half wine bottle, a plastic water bottle, whatever) and put the cork or screw cap on. Even more if you then put that into the fridge.
Screw cap half bottles! Works like a charm.

Otto Forsberg

#6 Post by Otto Forsberg »

I just put the bottle in the fridge. If I know the remainder will be drunk the next day, I don't even bother with transferring it to a smaller container. If you want to protect the wine from oxidation, temperature is your friend, as all reactions slow down with temperature. Most likely there's enough oxygen dissolved in the wine from transferring it to a smaller container that keeping the wine in the fridge in its original bottle offers more protection than having the wine in a smaller container at room temperature.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#7 Post by c fu »

Otto Forsberg wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:42 pm I just put the bottle in the fridge. If I know the remainder will be drunk the next day, I don't even bother with transferring it to a smaller container. If you want to protect the wine from oxidation, temperature is your friend, as all reactions slow down with temperature. Most likely there's enough oxygen dissolved in the wine from transferring it to a smaller container that keeping the wine in the fridge in its original bottle offers more protection than having the wine in a smaller container at room temperature.
but what if you put that smaller container in the fridge...
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

James Billy

#8 Post by James Billy »

Chris Seiber wrote: December 1st, 2020, 10:52 pm The easy and cheap method that offers the maximum protection against the wine advancing is, right after opening it, to pour a portion through a funnel into a smaller container all the way to the very top (an empty half wine bottle, a plastic water bottle, whatever) and put the cork or screw cap on. Even more if you then put that into the fridge.
[winner.gif]

Oxygen and heat are the enemy. Refrigerate ASAP.

Otto Forsberg

#9 Post by Otto Forsberg »

c fu wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:44 pm
Otto Forsberg wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:42 pm I just put the bottle in the fridge. If I know the remainder will be drunk the next day, I don't even bother with transferring it to a smaller container. If you want to protect the wine from oxidation, temperature is your friend, as all reactions slow down with temperature. Most likely there's enough oxygen dissolved in the wine from transferring it to a smaller container that keeping the wine in the fridge in its original bottle offers more protection than having the wine in a smaller container at room temperature.
Well duh. :D

I normally just don't bother if the wine is going to be consumed the next day and that would only introduce oxygen into wine. The benefits of limiting oxygen come into play only if the wine is going to be consumed after a week or ao.

A1ex H

#10 Post by A1ex H »

This works wonders for me - upon opening the full bottle I transfer half of the bottle into a half bottle and then use a Vacuvin to seal the wine. I then put it in the fridge overnight and typically have no issues. I generally avoid opening anything too delicate to drink over multiple nights.
H@ns£n

Victor Hong

#11 Post by Victor Hong »

Pretend that tonight is tomorrow night, and just finish the bottle.
WineHunter.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Add me to the list of those who don't bother with the smaller container - I recork (or use a stopper) and put it back in the cellar. Works fine for me, and we do this all the time as we generally try to limit ourselves to half a bottle a night.

AndrewH

#13 Post by AndrewH »

brodie thomson wrote: December 1st, 2020, 10:53 pm
Screw cap half bottles! Works like a charm.
This. Back into the cellar. I bought a case of polycone screwcap bottles like @cfu uses for his Zoom tastings. These keep the wine fresh for at least several days.

For daily drinker whites I usually don't bother though.
Andrew H e i m e r t

YLee

#14 Post by YLee »

If only for next day I use Vacu Vin or just recork.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

I’m with Otto on this view. Been doing this for over 25 years with my regular, every day wines that I drink during the week. Pop and enjoy half of the bottle, shove the cork in, return the other half bottle to the regular fridge. Ok, sometimes I got back for another glass. Many times, especially with the younger winds, the wine is actually better than next day. I popped a young 2016 Bordeaux last night just to sample it, and I’m pretty confident that today it will show better. I have no doubt the transferring the wine to 375 could be better, assuming minimal oxygen exposure during that transfer, but that’s just way too much effort for my regular drinking. I think that we often geek out too much of our wine, storage and serving, and perhaps sometimes a more simple approach leads to greater enjoyment. Now all of that said, I certainly have a different approach with mature wines or very expensive ones. But even then, I don’t think I go to the degree that many of you all do on wine, and yeah perhaps I misse one percent of the wine’s potential, but who really knows.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Otto Forsberg

#16 Post by Otto Forsberg »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:01 amI think that we often geek out too much of our wine, storage and serving, and perhaps sometimes a more simple approach leads to greater enjoyment. Now all of that said, I certainly have a different approach with mature wines or very expensive ones. But even then, I don’t think I go to the degree that many of you all do on wine, and yeah perhaps I misse one percent of the wine’s potential, but who really knows.
Very much this. [highfive.gif]

While I geek wine as much as any wine geek, I really am baffled how so many people bother with transferring to smaller containers, worry about which glass or decanter is best for which wine, let wines stand up months on end just for the sediment, fuss about 1-2 degree serving temperature differences and using the most outlandish gadgets with wine.

I get why anybody would fuss about if a wine was from a different producer, vintage, vineyard or variety than what you ordered, but for me the above list feels more like means to make one's life more difficult than it need be. But whatever rocks their boats. If fussing about drinking an old Barolo that has been standing up for 4 months from a Burgundy bowl makes one think that it is miles better than the same Barolo that has been sitting up for 2-3 days and is drunk from any good-quality wine glass, go ahead. I myself can pick up a Somlói Juhfark blind and can tell Plavac Mali easily apart from a Vranac, but even I am not that good of a taster! [stirthepothal.gif]

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I use a eurocave sowine (wine art) which does the job and keeps the wine at serving temp.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#18 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

I've had pretty good experience using the Repour stoppers for this purpose (over 2-3 nights).

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#19 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

I have normally just put the bottle with the remaining wine into the fridge. I did the transfer to a half bottle thing for a while, but it didn't make an appreciable difference over just refrigeration.

In the winter I often leave young red wines on the kitchen counter, but my house is 58 degrees F in winter.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Al Osterheld »

I also just recork and put in the refrigerator. Some white wines, I drink over four days and they stay fine (young wines sometimes improve).

-Al

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#21 Post by c fu »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:01 am
I’m with Otto on this view. Been doing this for over 25 years with my regular, every day wines that I drink during the week. Pop and enjoy half of the bottle, shove the cork in, return the other half bottle to the regular fridge. Ok, sometimes I got back for another glass. Many times, especially with the younger winds, the wine is actually better than next day. I popped a young 2016 Bordeaux last night just to sample it, and I’m pretty confident that today it will show better. I have no doubt the transferring the wine to 375 could be better, assuming minimal oxygen exposure during that transfer, but that’s just way too much effort for my regular drinking. I think that we often geek out too much of our wine, storage and serving, and perhaps sometimes a more simple approach leads to greater enjoyment. Now all of that said, I certainly have a different approach with mature wines or very expensive ones. But even then, I don’t think I go to the degree that many of you all do on wine, and yeah perhaps I misse one percent of the wine’s potential, but who really knows.
It takes less than a minute. Then you aren’t forced to drink the same wine the next day.

I have 6-7 4oz sitting in my fridge that are sitting 3-4 weeks with no issues. Drink them whenever I feel like.

Of course since I’m a hard working partner 24/7 I don’t drink every night in case I have work to do ;)
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Glas »

For those of you who generally open a bottle but don't consume all of it that evening, leaving half a bottle or so to drink the next night, what have you found works well for preserving it so that it's still good to go that second day? Years ago I would use Vacuvin stoppers, but over time I felt that product wasn't working all that well for me and . . . well, in all honesty, I didn't often have an open bottle with any wine in it by the end of that first night. So, any recommendations for products to preserve wine overnight? [cheers.gif]
Depends on the age of the bottle. Most of what I drink is ten years or less in age and I do nothing. I have done extensive research with the 3 day approach and many of the reds I try are as good if not better on day 2 and 3.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by John Glas »

I also just recork and put in the refrigerator. Some white wines, I drink over four days and they stay fine (young wines sometimes improve).
Agree with white wines improving if young. Most of the new world Chardonnays I drink get better on day 2.

Otto Forsberg

#24 Post by Otto Forsberg »

c fu wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 8:22 am It takes less than a minute. Then you aren’t forced to drink the same wine the next day.

I have 6-7 4oz sitting in my fridge that are sitting 3-4 weeks with no issues. Drink them whenever I feel like.

Of course since I’m a hard working partner 24/7 I don’t drink every night in case I have work to do ;)
That is certainly true. It's something I do only if I know I won't be able to finish the same or the next day. Which isn't very often and which is why I don't see it worth the hassle if I know the wine is going to be drunk within the next 48 hours or so. However, I fully understand if one wants to play it safe and keep the wine good for longer periods of time.

However, every now and then I bottle tasting wines into tiny 1,75 oz bottles whenever I'm unable to attend tastings. Those bottles, in turn, I have in my fridge quite frequently.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Philip G »

I wouldn’t pour into another container as that will oxygenate it further but probably won’t make a difference if you open the next day.

I shoot some argon gas in before recorking it and putting in the cellar just in case I don’t get to it for a few days. This seems to keep it fresh for 2-3 days.
Chip G@@d

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by J D o v e »

Half tonight and the other half whenever...

I used to do all of the above. Today, here is my set-up and why I really like it:

- Coravin hooked up to a food-grade Argon supply tank stored in a cabinet in my cellar; hose comes up through countertop
- Pour off a glass of one or more bottles (it’s often just me)
- Insert a toothpick into the pinhole that is created
- I’ve had a cellar for 25 years, so daily drinkers are often older and valuable
- This lets me do mini tastings by myself (open three vintages of Leoville Barton and drink them over a couple of weeks or compare several wines from a new vintage over a number of days)
- In my experience, especially for older bottles, this is the best method for drinking wine over several days

I use the set-up almost everyday and I’ve had the same tank since I moved my wine from off-site to the cellar a couple of years ago. Frankly, this is the best thing that happened to my wine hobby. Even older wines show perfectly fine over the 1 - 3 weeks I consume them.

One other thing — this set-up probably cost ~$300 all in. It has paid for itself many times over. I waste ZERO wine (unless it sucks and I don’t want to drink it). Fortunately, aside from corked bottles, that happens rarely.
Last edited by J D o v e on December 2nd, 2020, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Depending on the wine:

1) use a repour cork, definitely better results than a regular cork. Surprising, but true. And cheap
2) Even cheaper, but more of a pain, is Charlie's suggestion of using boston rounds. I'm a convert, especially for special wines.

I thought that filling the bottles might oxygenate the wine, but seems to be minimal, I've been impressed with the results.

Mont Stern
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#28 Post by Mont Stern »

I am a big fan of volumetric flasks with ground glass stoppers. No need to go to a chemistry supply house. Amazon has them. My favorite is 250ml.

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Mike Kuller »

For overnight, Vac-u-Vin is ok but not as good as gas.

I use this - put it in the bottle, recork and put it in the refrigerator.

It will keep it tasting good for at least 4 days.

www.amazon.com/Private-Preserve-Wine-Pr ... 233&sr=8-5
Last edited by Mike Kuller on December 2nd, 2020, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Chris Seiber »

As evidenced by the thread, there is a range of opinions about whether wine -- or the wines that the person in question tends to drink -- do or do not diminish in enjoyability from day 1 to day 2+ when just left in the bottle and recorked, or maybe that plus put in the fridge.

For me, it depends on the wine itself, yet it is not always all that predictable in that regard. Most quality whites seem to work fine for a day or two just left in the bottle. Robust and younger reds of good quality seem to do so as well, but the results are not uniform for my palate. And those times that the next day wine isn't very good anymore, that's a pretty costly loss.

I usually use the Whetstone method just because (a) I'm too lazy, (b) I have way too much wine anyway, (3) I often open wine hastily in a rush of trying to get dinner done and on the table (I do almost all our cooking) and don't really have time for the funneling operation, and (4) I often don't know in advance when I open a bottle that I am going to save half for another day.

But if I had the energy and time for it, I'd probably use the half bottle method a lot more often. When the wine is diminished on day two, it's a bummer, and kind of a costly loss given the price of things we drink.

brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by brianmcbrearty »

Chris's strategy is undoubtedly the best and I keep a couple half-bottles around for this purpose, but rarely get out the funnel. I definitely can't be bothered with vacuvins or gases. Had all the gear when I was starting out and drinking way plonkier plonk. Cork and fridge are good enough for me now.
That avatar of mine is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody even know what that is/was? If you can read this, probably not.

S. Rash

#32 Post by S. Rash »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:01 am
100% [cheers.gif]
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Jim Stewart »

I also think that recorking is probably good enough and works well. The only issue I had with recorking is that I would push the cork down halfway and occasionally break the cork when reopening. About a year ago, I switched to silicone wine stoppers as suggested on a WB thread. Those have worked out very well. I keep wine from a day or two to several days. I refrigerate. The wine generally holds on pretty well and sometimes seems to even improve.
P.S. These are the stoppers I got on Amazon: B229 Silicone Wine Bottle Stoppers, Set of 4, <$10
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Cris Whetstone »

I should add that for me I am nearly always drinking that opened bottled the next day. I might employ something more careful like the half bottle or gassing wine if I was going to try to drink the bottle more than a day later. But personally, I just do not see wanting to do that. Seems like more of a hassle to track what I've opened that way. If I want something to drink and know I won't be around the next night I usually just have beer.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by J D o v e »

Cris Whetstone wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 2:23 pm I should add that for me I am nearly always drinking that opened bottled the next day. I might employ something more careful like the half bottle or gassing wine if I was going to try to drink the bottle more than a day later. But personally, I just do not see wanting to do that. Seems like more of a hassle to track what I've opened that way. If I want something to drink and know I won't be around the next night I usually just have beer.

Everyone gets into different habits and obviously has different preferences. I used to be that way until I got the Argon tank, frankly. I used half bottles and the medical beakers with glass stoppers.

I find it really nice to have a glass of white, then a red, and if I am in the mood some Sauternes for dessert. At the moment, I have a 2014 Chablis, 2002 Muscadet, a 2019 Sancerre, a 2001 Bordeaux, a 2012 Rastau, and the last of a bottle of Bricco delle Viole to chose from when I go home. If we’re having Chinese, I want to open a Gewurtz and not drink the last of a bottle of Cab from last night. Also, what I found when I just put leftovers in the fridge without even moving to a half bottle was that a LOT of wine went down the drain. It is very rare that wine goes down the drain anymore unless I really just didn’t like it.

I make a point of this just to say I really didn’t appreciate how dramatically this set up would change the way I think about both the hobby and consuming wine. So, I’m just sharing — but, I get everyone’s different.

It’s not complex though. I have a counter that, at any given time, has 4 to 8 wines (standing upright) that I’m working through. They all get consumed within a 3-4 week period and most are gone the week I open them.

It’s nice to feel like I can open anything in the cellar and not feel guilty about it because I can get to it on my timeline — whether that means tomorrow or in three weeks... It’s also a lot of fun to go home and say — I want to compare A to B to C tonight. I’m going to do that this evening with some more 2016 Barolo.

Cheers.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Philip G wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:15 am I wouldn’t pour into another container as that will oxygenate it further but probably won’t make a difference if you open the next day.

I shoot some argon gas in before recorking it and putting in the cellar just in case I don’t get to it for a few days. This seems to keep it fresh for 2-3 days.
Many folks experience with Boston Rounds lately show that the oxygen from the pour doesn't matter much. I also thought it wouldn't work, but I'm a believer n ow.

2001 Hudellot Noellat Vosne Romanee Suchots was very fresh for several weeks.
1990 Gruaud Larose was great several days later (didn't have enough to check longer).
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on December 2nd, 2020, 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Terry H a r r i s »

Thanks to everyone for posting! I completely had forgotten the 375 routine, as it's one I think I moved to once I gave up on the vacuvins. Too funny I had forgotten. Then again, I forget lots these days. [cheers.gif]
His wife told a 911 operator that she used a pruner "good for pruning roses" and that James's bleeding wasn't enough to create the "sign of the cross, or write sinner" . . . .

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Peter Kleban »

Been through several steps here.
1. Tried Argon for a while. IIRC it didn't work very well, but that was a long time ago and I might have forgotten.
2. Then half (or one third) bottles. The problem there is that you invariably end up with too much or too little for the small bottle, so some of it gets exposed to extra air anyway. Unless, of course, you fill up the small bottle first and then drink up what remains. But that always seemed too fussy. As did washing out the small bottles (yeah, I get lazy at times).
3. Vacuvin. This works reasonably well, I've found.
4. Repour. This is my all time favorite. Actually absorbs the oxygen from the air over the wine, so it really slows the "aging" down. Works for a day or two at least, and at times much longer--just finished a bottle (Fontodi Chianti) that had been on the counter with a Repour for two weeks. Hardly had changed. Cheap (about $1.60 each if you buy in bulk), easy, convenient. What's not to like? Well, OK, if you want to keep the wine in the fridge, the Repour makes the bottle a bit taller than usual, so that can be an issue.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Felettig Morey St. Denis VV '14
Felettig Chamb-Mus VV '14
Pépière Muscadet Briords '09
Volpaia Chianti Class '18
Lignier Morey St Denis 1er Ormes '14
Collestefano Verdicchio di M '19
Pépière Muscadet Briords '19
Bêcheur PN '14
Virage '07
Ampeau Volnay 1er Santenots '99

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Andrew K. »

Cork it and leave it on the counter.

But that's usually daily drinkers. It isn't often really good wines aren't fully consumed. But if there is some left, I usually put them into Boston rounds and back into the cellar.
к𝓁ย𝐠

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#40 Post by c fu »

Peter Kleban wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:02 pm Been through several steps here.
1. Tried Argon for a while. IIRC it didn't work very well, but that was a long time ago and I might have forgotten.
2. Then half (or one third) bottles. The problem there is that you invariably end up with too much or too little for the small bottle, so some of it gets exposed to extra air anyway. Unless, of course, you fill up the small bottle first and then drink up what remains. But that always seemed too fussy. As did washing out the small bottles (yeah, I get lazy at times).
3. Vacuvin. This works reasonably well, I've found.
4. Repour. This is my all time favorite. Actually absorbs the oxygen from the air over the wine, so it really slows the "aging" down. Works for a day or two at least, and at times much longer--just finished a bottle (Fontodi Chianti) that had been on the counter with a Repour for two weeks. Hardly had changed. Cheap (about $1.60 each if you buy in bulk), easy, convenient. What's not to like? Well, OK, if you want to keep the wine in the fridge, the Repour makes the bottle a bit taller than usual, so that can be an issue.
that's why i suggest 4oz ones. You know you aren't gonna finish a bottle, so just pour it off to begin with. After awhile you'll end up with a collection of em and then you won't have to drink the same thing every night!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Charlie, have you tried it with champagne?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#42 Post by c fu »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 10:01 pm Charlie, have you tried it with champagne?
Once. Didn’t work cause bottle was too lively. Will try again
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Otto Forsberg

#43 Post by Otto Forsberg »

Andrew K. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:25 pm Cork it and leave it on the counter.

But that's usually daily drinkers. It isn't often really good wines aren't fully consumed. But if there is some left, I usually put them into Boston rounds and back into the cellar.
Why leave it on the counter? Just moving it into the fridge slows down the oxidation and evaporation of volatile compounds considerably. From my experience bolder reds and sweeter wines can survive for a day (some even several) in room temp, but many dry whites and more fragrant reds start to suffer even overnight, coming across as slightly tired the next day.

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Steve Brickley »

Pungo.
Steve

JMReuter

#45 Post by JMReuter »

I was surprised to only see one reference to Coravin until I re-read the title question. If I knew that I'd be drinking half tonight and half tomorrow, I'd feel comfortable re-corking and putting back in the fridge. However, my current approach is more often 5 oz of wine per night and I don't drink wine every night. Thanks to Coravin, I often have two or three "open" bottles in the fridge. Wine seems to hold up pretty well for 1-2 weeks. The downside to this approach is that I occasionally get bored with whatever is open before it is gone.
J o n @ t h @ n R 3 u t 3 r

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by J D o v e »

JMReuter wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 6:18 am I was surprised to only see one reference to Coravin until I re-read the title question. If I knew that I'd be drinking half tonight and half tomorrow, I'd feel comfortable re-corking and putting back in the fridge. However, my current approach is more often 5 oz of wine per night and I don't drink wine every night. Thanks to Coravin, I often have two or three "open" bottles in the fridge. Wine seems to hold up pretty well for 1-2 weeks. The downside to this approach is that I occasionally get bored with whatever is open before it is gone.
Good point. I responded the way I did (with the Coravin hack) because I thought, why put yourself in that box (1/2 tonight and 1/2 tomorrow)?

However, if for some reason I always wanted to drink that way, I wouldn’t have my set-up. I’d just pour off to a 1/2 bottle and leave it in the cellar.

That said, I can’t imagine going back to thinking about it that way.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

AndrewH

#47 Post by AndrewH »

Peter Kleban wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:02 pm The problem there is that you invariably end up with too much or too little for the small bottle, so some of it gets exposed to extra air anyway. Unless, of course, you fill up the small bottle first and then drink up what remains. But that always seemed too fussy.
Yeah, there are times when I'd like one more sip. On the other hand it creates good discipline - by pouring half into a 375 before I start I make sure I don't drink more than a half-bottle.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Richard Albert

#48 Post by Richard Albert »

I am with Mike K.

I have had many years to think about this topic and perfect preservation, here is what developed.

Pull the cork, gently pour two glasses not modestly and immediately inject canned nitrogen and recork. You then have the option of pouring again with barely oxygenated wine, or putting it in the refrig for superior preservation. I tend to drink mature wines and this technique allows you to decant the next pours for both sediment capture and/or additional aeration if desired.

I use the CorkPops brand of canned nitrogen, Wine Preserver, $10 bucks treats 120 bottles, The well designed valve/nozzle eliminates straws, you just invert and push down three short times and recork. https://www.corkpops.com/products/wine-preserver

I found Vacuvin effects the aromatics of more delicate, mature wines after a couple of days
Pouring into a smaller bottle oxygenates ready to drink wines unnecessarily, but is OK with younger wines.
ITB

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Lee Short »

Count me with those who just leave it in the half-full original bottle. White wines go in the fridge always, even if I have to shuffle things to make space. Red wines go in the fridge sometimes, in the cellar at 55F sometimes.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#50 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 3:11 pm
Philip G wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 9:15 am I wouldn’t pour into another container as that will oxygenate it further but probably won’t make a difference if you open the next day.

Many folks experience with Boston Rounds lately show that the oxygen from the pour doesn't matter much. I also thought it wouldn't work, but I'm a believer n ow.

2001 Hudellot Noellat Vosne Romanee Suchots was very fresh for several weeks.
1990 Gruaud Larose was great several days later (didn't have enough to check longer).
So are you pouring about half a bottle immediately into a 16 oz Boston round and capping it? What do you do when you have less than a bottle leftover, or don't pour half out right away? Thinking about buying some of these bottles and trying it.

Return to “Wine Talk”