TN: Lackluster Evening to say the least

Tonight was supposed to be an evening of metered enjoyment as I found out that I am being promoted at my job. We decided to open a few wines to celebrate the event, but the wine gods were not in our favor. Maybe this weekend with some bubbles we will be more rewarded.

• 2012 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/1/2020)
    Barnyard funk with a little bit of sour cherry. Not necessarily unenjoyable, but not gulpible. My first intuition is that this wine need another 5 years, my second intuition is that this bottle needs to be tossed down the drain. Aroma and pallet did not improve over 90 minutes. I am hoping this is just an off bottle (89 pts.)[/list
    Posted from CellarTracker
  • 2000 Marchesi Mazzei Maremma Toscana Tenuta Belguardo - Italy, Tuscany, Maremma, Maremma Toscana (12/1/2020)
    funky nose on the bottle opening. Seems past its prime. Barnyard funk with earth and wet leaves, but not in a good way. Opened up with some time to a less than stellar aged wine. I could tell that it was 20 years old, but not in a good way, tired. (86 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

The wine gods are fickle.

Congrats on the promotion.

Congrats on the promotion!

Thank you! I only wish the bottles we chose matched our excitement. Shame on us for not opening some sort of Riesling, which always is a winner!.

Thank you! We still have to get together and share a bottle a some point. You and I live too close to only cross paths on the internet.

TW

Look forward to when things return to normal and we can do that!