TN: 2003 Argyle Pinot Noir Nuthouse Willamette Valley (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley) - it's a screwcap!

• 2003 Argyle Pinot Noir Nuthouse Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/27/2020)
    This wine is bottled under screwcap, purchased on winedbid about a year ago. This is easily the oldest wine I’ve had under cap (more correctly, the wine I’ve had that has been under screwcap the longest). Not decanted, served in a Riedel Vinum Burgundy stem. Nice ruby-red, minimal bricking. Fresh nose that, with all its still youthful vigor, does give hints that it’s an older wine. Evergreen forest floor, raspberry, gingersnap, pie cherry. At about 15 minutes, a very slight pluminess showed up which was the main age indicator, but it quickly went away. The wine has great acidity as well, and a very long finish. This just goes to show how effectively a cap can be when ageing a wine. Changes do still happen, but more slowly and, as I’ve read, the risk of taint or spoilage is lower. Really a fantastic wine regardless of closure, and fun to have drunk one that has been under a screw cap for over 15 years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This wine also once again showed me how fantastic aged Oregon Pinot Noir can be. The best should just be left alone for a while, darn it! Patience is often rewarded, as it was here.