TN: 2011 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots

• 2011 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (11/28/2020)
    Pop and pour drunk over several hours. The last glass saved for the following day.
    A lovely perfume of red fruits, Vosne like spice, rose florals, basil, and some earthy notes that are present but playing a supportive role to the lovely fruit and perfume. I get no greenness at all. It’s graceful, mid weighted, sappy, and expansive on the palate with a richness coupled with freshness and lift. A supple, yet detailed, beautifully balanced wine. This has a lot going on, but nothing sticks out, but rather all the elements blend into a cohesive whole. There is a textural glossiness, a trait I tend not to love, that is done so well and is positively delicious. A seamless, graceful wine drinking at early peak with tons of time in hand. Effortlessly delicious.

FWIW: The last glass the following evening had not lost a step. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

As I mentioned in the Laura’s House thread, if I had to limit myself to a single red wine producer, it would be M-G. Sadly pricing is getting out of hand.

Getting out of hand? Large sections of burg producers have been bumping their heads on the ceiling these days. It appears that every newer “it” winery is rocketing up in price. For the well known producers, fuggetabout even buying anything but village wines. I am just about done with getting many new releases, unless they are way, way under the radar…

So understanding that there will be zero logic to what I am about to write…

The Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne is still less expensive than some high end California Pinots that I buy. Given that the M-G wine routinely beats the crap out of the CA Pinots in blind tastings, I am still willing to pony up for the meager allocation I can get.

Why do I continue to buy the CA Pinots? I enjoy them a great deal, just not in the competitive sense. If I could get two cases of M-G Bourgogne every year I might quit buying the CA wines. Unfortunately I am lucky to get 3-6 bottles.

Agreed David. There is something pretty magical the sisters are doing, and the prices are bonkers now.

I think '17 was my last vintage getting anything at all and it was a single bottle. My allocations were sharply down after 2014 and by 2018, it was not even that painful to get shut out completely. On the upside, that single bottle of '17 1er NSG cost about the same as the three GC’s did in '06. Bittersweet, but almost a relief at this point.

That said, they are pretty terrific wines.

2018 is probably the end of the road for me. I might see what 2019 looks like, if I get an offering.

Mugneret-Gibourg’s ‘09, ‘11 and ‘13’s are drinking fantastically across cuvées… (‘09 CDV is off the charts). Finding the ‘14s and ‘15’s abit reticent.

‘07 are drinking well too, ‘07 Chaignots is outstanding.

Regrettably, that is a story that I hear again and again, with reference to any number of producers; and it is not clear that there is any kind of evident solution… But I know the sisters would be very sad to hear this. If you ever make it to Beaune get in touch and we can open a bunch bottles of their wines.

I was very lucky to have good allocations of their wines for quite a while but I gave up everything after the 14 vintage. I hope whoever took those allocations genuinely enjoys the wines.

William, I am not sure about how things are in England, but in the US, middlemen are really marking up the prices of these and other top wines pretty heavily. Wines that I have seen at wine stores in Beaune for 250 euros or less will cost $700 or more here.