Immense Pleasure Or Profundity?

If You Can Only Have One

• 1. Immense pleasure
  • 2. Profundity

0 voters

A wine that is a current subject of discussion here was described as, “delivering immense pleasure but lacking in profundity”. So, if you had to choose one, which would it be?

In the alternative, a wine with profundity that gives no pleasure? [scratch.gif]

Put that way it has to be immense pleasure. Profundity is not always required eg on the dock at the end of the day. Life is too short for wine without pleasure.

Also, the wine in question retails at between $300-$400. At this price point, would a wine need to be profound to justify the expense?

immense pleasure is more often obtained.

Profoundly pleasurable does the trick.

id choose profoundly pleasurable every time. but typically the two go hand in hand to me

Hell just give me the 300$ wine and I will rate it for you…

What’s the step just below profound? Immensely stimulating? Yeah, I’ll take that plus the immense pleasure.

What’s the difference between the two? I find profundity very pleasing.

To me that review means it’s a straight forward, pleasurable wine to drink. Nothing wrong with that. I don’t agree that a wine has to be a profound, unique, once in a lifetime experience in order to be really good grape juice. Even at $300. Maybe at $3000.

Well, at least 11 are desirous of having a “Babette’s Feast” experience!

I’ve never had a wine I thought was profound - although I’m not out here drinking La Tache.

Usually when I think I’ve found profundity during a night of drinking I wake up the next morning and realize my error.

Exactly. Every profound wine I’ve had was immensely pleasurable.

Drinking a 2001 Moss Wood Cabernet tonight that is immensely pleasurable but in no way profound.

People date immense pleasure but they marry profundity.

Or maybe it’s the other way around.

Anyway, I find pleasure in profundity, so I will go with that.

Sometimes there’s an intangible aspect to a wine that’s just pleasurable. Not, or not solely, smell or taste or anything else you can identify, but perhaps something somehow triggered an endorphin release or something.

At post retirement age, profundity is all too commonplace*. Immense pleasure is much harder to get.

Younger generations should seek profundity, and leave immense pleasure for those to whom it is a vanishing commodity.

• For Anton, being married to profundity can get old too.

What if the choice is between pleasure and immense profundity? What if we move the immenseness to the other side of the equation?

Pleasure is like a cheap date: once you experience it, you feel soiled.