TN: 01 Lignier Clos de la Roche and 02 Chevillon "Perrieres"

This was pretty tight upon opening with one of the more savory noses, even for Chevillon, I’ve witnessed in a while. Meaty, ferrous notes, tilled earth, and savory herbs with some hints of dark pinot fruit. Mid to full bodied for pinot, structured and much more earth and savory than fruit driven on the palate with more meaty and ferrous notes, a sense of stoniness, moss, and dark fruits. This is structured and serious, yet sappy and broad, with a textural softness wrapped around its imposing structure. At lunch this was impressive yet firm and more intellectually enjoyable than lovable.
After being left open for several hours, it really came into its own. Forest berry and dark cherry fruit develop and the texture fleshes and fans out, gaining depth and palate presence without losing its savory meatiness and undergrowth. It simply adds an extra gear. Finishes with firm ripe tannins. A beautifully balanced serious wine drinking at early peak. Drink now and for a long time with no fear of decline. 90 to start and 94 by then end of the bottle.

Terrific with our Thanksgiving bird and savory dressing. (94 pts.)

• 2001 Hubert Lignier Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (11/21/2020)
    Cooler Morey fruit, perfume, spice, fresh tilled earth, moss, and some gamey meaty notes on the nose. Expansive on the palate, with a sense of weightless power. It’s sappy and dense with terrific depth, with Grand Cru weight with terrific detail. Beautiful inner mouth perfume. After open a few hours, more mossy undergrowth, savory notes, and a cooling herbal lifted note come out. Bottomless and very long on the back end. Terrific. 96 (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Unless you want to watch a bottle evolve over several hours, I would hold the Chevillon for a few more years. It surprised me with how inwardly turned it was at first. It eventually was beautiful, but I would have lost the opportunity to see it unfold if it were not just two people drinking a single glass at lunch, and finishing it with dinner several hours later. OTOH, the Lignier is drinking spectacularly right now, and was so right out of the gate.

Thanks for reading.

I know that Chevillon Perrieres very well, having slurped through a case. Really lovely and composed.

Kent, that must have been a tough exercise. I’m
glad made it through unscathed.

Composed is a good descriptor.

Cheers,

Thanks Todd, It was a chore but i stuck to the task, made easier as they were rather well priced at the time IIRC.

Thanks for the notes, just happen to have both wines in long term storage.