TN: 2010 Mathilde et Yves Gangloff Condrieu (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu)

2010 Mathilde et Yves Gangloff Condrieu - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu (11/26/2020)
Last of my stash of this wine, which has been reserved for Thanksgiving dinners over the years. The richness and depth is a perfect match for a rich, hearty turkey day dinner. This shows a bit of color, but not much more than it ever had by my recollection. The nose leads you to believe there might be something a little sweet in store, with its savory almost quince like notes, leading to a rich, intense palate, some viscosity and density, hint of spice, mineral, steel, the wine equivalent of a savory, rich gravy, and the perfect accompaniment to same. There may be some residual sugar here, but the minerality, savory, and acidity more than covers it. I don’t know of another example like this, perhaps some of Andre Perret’s top Condrieu. Aging slowly and beautifully, I’m sad not to have more of these to open in future years. (94 pts.)

Thanks for the note. I wasn’t sure what you meant by the bolded part.

Ha, I thought that would be the least controversial part of my note. Really, nothing more than I consider this particular bottling to be unique among all the Condrieu I’ve had. Rich, without being sweet or overly cloying, with great complexity, spice, even minerality. For me, it’s the Viognier analog of Trimbach’s Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre Gewurztraminer.

Yves is a genius. I think his wines are singular. His Condrieu is one of the very best. Nice person too.

Well, this is the only Gangloff wine I like, and at it’s price something I very rarely buy or drink. I find his reds far too oaky for my tastes. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, have not met him, but he’d probably throw me out of his cellar for complaining about new oak lol.

2010 gangloff condrieu played a huge role in compelling me to make wine. I met Yves At Hospice du rhone in 2012 and that wine changed my life. I was a consumer and never planned to make wine. Yves Gangloff has now consulted on my Viognier (and Syrah - not yet released). I generally drink condrieu within the first 5 yrs, but yves said a recent bottle of the 01 was exceptional. Happy to hear the ‘10 Gangloff condrieu is kickin’ and hope we can share a glass of the kobayashi vio in the future.

Thanks for the note! I’ve only had this one young but agree that it is a super example of the appellation. Regarding the part bolded/the quality in question Vernay’s top bottling must be mentioned - probably the finest wine in the appellation and with a price tag reflecting that.

A big +1!

While I agree Vernay’s Vernon is one of, if not the, top Condrieu, it’s also in a very different style than the Gangloff. Vernay is much more restrained, taut, mineral, not nearly as voluptuous and rich as Gangloff. At least that has been my experience.

The high end Vernay, Coteau de Vernon, is pretty rich and flamboyant, it’s really only the Les Terrasses de l’Empire that I would call restrained.

-Al