Great California Chardonnay - old enough to vote

A long time ago (~10 years ago?) somebody sold a big lot of aged Mayacamas Chardonnay. IIRC vintages were 1997 – 2002. I went in with friends and bought big; I love Chardonnay built to last. Fill levels and colors varied and varied more with time. I triaged, opening darker colors and lower fills first, identified 2001 as the best vintage. Finally, down to my last bottle. The best one yet (sob & rejoice).

2001 Mayacamas Chardonnay, Napa Valley – [2000 feet above sea level, valley indeed!]

Medium straw color. Aromas are both hesitant and intense. They feature granny smith apple, pine resin and ginger, with hints of white pepper and cactus flower. If told it was a well-known white varietal, I would probably guess Chardonnay because it ain’t any of the others (Sauvignon Blanc would be my second guess).
The palate is very rich, creamy (but not at all buttery) and opulent, but with more than enough zingy acidity to pleasantly scour the palate. The textures are amazing, with initial richness quickly turning taut. The flavors are very intricate, if not always perfectly meshed; a hint of seckel pear that appears doesn’t really match with the granny smith apple, but I’m quibbling. This is a great, beautiful bottle of wine, ginger and now a hint of ground coriander seed coming to the fore, a mouthwatering accompaniment to the shrimp and soba noodles on the plate. Rated 94, drink up, this bottle has years left, but most probably don’t. I hope current vintages are made the same way.

Dan Kravitz

BP wines…Frenchy brokered the deal…a bought multiple cases as well…but sadly they have been fading.

Thank you Mr. Buzzini. At least I got the timing right (guessed 10 years, it was 10 years). I think I bought 10 mixed cases (went in with friends). I remember the '99s as being good but irregular from the beginning. OTOH, the '02s I had (not many) were simply not that good.

Dan Kravitz

I grabbed two 98 mags on last bottle (I think that’s also from BP), $39!!! They were great, had em maybe 5 years ago.