Most impractical wine in the cellar?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kelly Flynn

Most impractical wine in the cellar?

#1 Post by Kelly Flynn »

I suspect there have already been threads on this subject, but I was looking for a particular wine the other day and was confronted with this massive 3L 2002 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler Lay eiswein. It's nearly as tall as a couple of my kids. I mean, I really do like riesling in all its manifestations, but wth? I remember buying it at a fire sale price, which is great...but still I can't even imagine what event/crowd might warrant this gigantic bottle of sweet wine. I also have Kracher TBA mags from the same fire sale, which are crazy enough, but the 3L eiswein is truly ridiculous.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Most impractical wine in the cellar?

#2 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

I was mentally sifting through the cellar to decide what I could offer in response. But I can't compete.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by R. Frankel »

Kelly, I bow before you as the True Epitome of Impracticality. I have nothing remotely worthy of the conversation.

champagne.gif
Rich Frankel

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Russell Faulkner »

You might as well open that Loosen. I doubt it’s getting better!

I have quite a bit of impractical Riesling in large bottles, 14 of them it seems 3l+.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Morris »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:33 pm I was mentally sifting through the cellar to decide what I could offer in response. But I can't compete.
Indeed.

Three liters of eiswein. [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

You have to wonder what they were thinking when they bottled it.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Glas »

I suspect there have already been threads on this subject, but I was looking for a particular wine the other day and was confronted with this massive 3L 2002 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler Lay eiswein. It's nearly as tall as a couple of my kids. I mean, I really do like riesling in all its manifestations, but wth? I remember buying it at a fire sale price, which is great...but still I can't even imagine what event/crowd might warrant this gigantic bottle of sweet wine. I also have Kracher TBA mags from the same fire sale, which are crazy enough, but the 3L eiswein is truly ridiculous.
In a few years when it is safe to do neighborhood get togethers invite the neighbors. Grill some brats with the rieslings or donate it to a charity auction!

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Ethan Abraham »

The only thing I could think of that beats that is an even larger bottle of desert wine. I bought a 3L of Lauer barrel x but I figure that will make a great bottle to bring to a summer party.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by John Glas »

I am from MN and if anyone had a MN wine in their cellar that would be very impractical especially since this year can't get together and do the white elephant gifting.

Kelly Flynn

#9 Post by Kelly Flynn »

Ha! A related question might be: How about an utterly impractical bottle in your cellar that you don't even like?

Somehow a few years back I found myself holding a 3L Bellevue Mondotte from 2003 -- spoof on steroids from the spoofiest year! (Apologies to any BM fans out there, but not my cup of tea.)

Anyway, there was an easy solution to that one: charity auction! ($1,000 in fact.) But not sure a 3L eiswein will even generate any bids...

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mark Thompson »

6L bottles of d’Yquem are usually what I most closely associate with “impractical”. I have a 15L 1994 Rauzan Segla that would generally fit the bill. I’m not even sure how to physically decant it (though I found a helpful YouTube video).

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jay Miller »

Mark Thompson wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:59 pm 6L bottles of d’Yquem are usually what I most closely associate with “impractical”. I have a 15L 1994 Rauzan Segla that would generally fit the bill. I’m not even sure how to physically decant it (though I found a helpful YouTube video).
On the bright side the 1994 RS is drinking really well now (from 750).
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Kelly Flynn wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:55 pm Ha! A related question might be: How about an utterly impractical bottle in your cellar that you don't even like?

Somehow a few years back I found myself holding a 3L Bellevue Mondotte from 2003 -- spoof on steroids from the spoofiest year! (Apologies to any BM fans out there, but not my cup of tea.)

Anyway, there was an easy solution to that one: charity auction! ($1,000 in fact.) But not sure a 3L eiswein will even generate any bids...
Oh boy! That is indeed even worse.

I'm pretty sure I like all of our crazy bottles. But we do have more than four cases of '89 Poniatowski Clos Baudoin. Slightly more practical, but still....

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

That's a tough draw. Maybe if it was marketed in advance to wedding venues as a dessert accompaniment, that would draw attention in a general market. Can give it a go for charity. Might be more of a game of "no backsies" for the lucky winner that doesn't realize what they are getting.

3 L of Eiswein is not for the meek. And I know I'd need to run quite a few miles to wear that off after. Probably a marathon. And I like Eiswein.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Kelly Flynn

#14 Post by Kelly Flynn »

Mark Thompson wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:59 pm 6L bottles of d’Yquem are usually what I most closely associate with “impractical”. I have a 15L 1994 Rauzan Segla that would generally fit the bill. I’m not even sure how to physically decant it (though I found a helpful YouTube video).
Mark, if you can somehow bring that big boy on your next trip to your hometown, I promise I will assemble a worthy throng of imbibers.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by RichardFlack »

John Morris wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:33 pm I was mentally sifting through the cellar to decide what I could offer in response. But I can't compete.
Indeed.

6 qt pot of Creme Brûlée?
Last edited by RichardFlack on November 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Cris Whetstone »

I knew someone that had a 9L of Château d'Yquem. I always wondered when something like that gets opened, if ever.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Kelly Flynn

#17 Post by Kelly Flynn »

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:03 pm That's a tough draw. Maybe if it was marketed in advance to wedding venues as a dessert accompaniment, that would draw attention in a general market. Can give it a go for charity. Might be more of a game of "no backsies" for the lucky winner that doesn't realize what they are getting.

3 L of Eiswein is not for the meek. And I know I'd need to run quite a few miles to wear that off after. Probably a marathon. And I like Eiswein.
Yeah Rich, 3L is not what I would call a "precious" amount.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Any half bottle of Champagne...

Any wine in a plastic bag...
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Kirk.Grant wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:10 pm Any half bottle of Champagne...

That

Winner

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by RichardFlack »

Split of Champagne ... For those crappy end of work week Fridays when your mate is out of town.

Plastic bag ... well several years ago some quite drinkable if not exactly fine Aussie Shiraz were on the shelves here in tetra packs which were very handy for stowing in the keel which is a better temp the normal booze locker on the boat (The people I used to sail with weren’t exactly wine people).

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by RichardFlack »

You need a vertical structure ....

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

I knew you were a man after my own heart.

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Greg Gardner »

I remember getting a cellar tour at Charlie Trotter in Chicago and they had some crazy large format of d’Yquem, like 15L. I asked if they ever sold such bottles and the Somm gave a vague ‘sometimes for private events’

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Wes Barton »

Kelly Flynn wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:13 pm I suspect there have already been threads on this subject, but I was looking for a particular wine the other day and was confronted with this massive 3L 2002 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler Lay eiswein. It's nearly as tall as a couple of my kids. I mean, I really do like riesling in all its manifestations, but wth? I remember buying it at a fire sale price, which is great...but still I can't even imagine what event/crowd might warrant this gigantic bottle of sweet wine. I also have Kracher TBA mags from the same fire sale, which are crazy enough, but the 3L eiswein is truly ridiculous.
If you want to drink it, you could rebottle it into 375s.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

AndrewH

#25 Post by AndrewH »

Wes Barton wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Kelly Flynn wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:13 pm I suspect there have already been threads on this subject, but I was looking for a particular wine the other day and was confronted with this massive 3L 2002 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler Lay eiswein. It's nearly as tall as a couple of my kids. I mean, I really do like riesling in all its manifestations, but wth? I remember buying it at a fire sale price, which is great...but still I can't even imagine what event/crowd might warrant this gigantic bottle of sweet wine. I also have Kracher TBA mags from the same fire sale, which are crazy enough, but the 3L eiswein is truly ridiculous.
If you want to drink it, you could rebottle it into 375s.
Yeah - Fu can show you a siphon method. 8 bottles that will keep over a good while.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Scott Brunson »

RichardFlack wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:05 pm
John Morris wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Indeed.

6 gal pot of Creme Brûlée?
[wink.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Chuck Miller »

It used to be a 6L of 1989 Haut Brion, but I solved that problem when I opened it for a 60th birthday bash about 7 years ago, along with a 6L 1989 Lynch Bages, 6L 1990 Montrose, 6L 1999 Mouton and a 3L of 1983 Yquem. Other guests took the opportunity to clear their cellars of mags of Champagne and white burgs. Now the biggest bottles I have are magnums, including a 1995 Huet Cuvee Constance, who knows when I’ll drink that.
Chuck Miller

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Andrew K. »

I think a 6L of Bouchard Monty would compete (for distant second) but sadly I passed.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Chris H. »

John Glas wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm I am from MN and if anyone had a MN wine in their cellar that would be very impractical especially since this year can't get together and do the white elephant gifting.
I'm from MN, and EVERY MN wine has been horrible, some laughably so. I am perplexed by all of the love on my FB and Instagram walls for friends drinking this $hit.

I think the last MN wine I had, I opened at the end of a nice wine dinner, and I blind tasted people on it, and the comments were epic. I remain open minded regarding MN wine, but I have yet to try anything that is even on par with three buck chuck or Apothic Red, and that may even be a stretch.
H a r r i s

Jay Opperman

#30 Post by Jay Opperman »

I have an 18 L of 2000 Cheval Blanc.I’ll gladly share it on its Centennial with anyone who will be here to remember the offer🍷

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Glas »

I'm from MN, and EVERY MN wine has been horrible, some laughably so. I am perplexed by all of the love on my FB and Instagram walls for friends drinking this $hit.

I think the last MN wine I had, I opened at the end of a nice wine dinner, and I blind tasted people on it, and the comments were epic. I remain open minded regarding MN wine, but I have yet to try anything that is even on par with three buck chuck or Apothic Red, and that may even be a stretch.
Add Bill Ward and Leslee Miller getting behind this crap. The big thing is that your FB friends slam the wine and actually never taste wine properly.

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by J D o v e »

Chuck Miller wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:05 pm It used to be a 6L of 1989 Haut Brion, but I solved that problem when I opened it for a 60th birthday bash about 7 years ago, along with a 6L 1989 Lynch Bages, 6L 1990 Montrose, 6L 1999 Mouton and a 3L of 1983 Yquem. Other guests took the opportunity to clear their cellars of mags of Champagne and white burgs. Now the biggest bottles I have are magnums, including a 1995 Huet Cuvee Constance, who knows when I’ll drink that.
I used to have a 3L of 1983 Y’quem. I sold it 10 years ago when I finally resigned myself to just how impractical it was.

So, how was it?
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Rich Brown »

Jay Opperman wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:20 pm I have an 18 L of 2000 Cheval Blanc.I’ll gladly share it on its Centennial with anyone who will be here to remember the offer🍷
Holy sh*t! You HAVE to post a picture of that!!

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Chris H. »

John Glas wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Add Bill Ward and Leslee Miller getting behind this crap. The big thing is that your FB friends slam the wine and actually never taste wine properly.
I mean, I am all for supporting local agriculture. But Minnesota lacks the climate, terroir, and frankly farming (not sure of the winemaking skill in the state), but every wine I've tasted has been horrible, and would qualify for pouring out and rinsing with water to remove the rank taste out of ones mouth.

Minnesota is great climate/soil for many other fruits and vegetables, let's just stick to that :-)

I think you are right that some of the friends haven't developed their palate, and just want to look trendy with MN wine. It's a shame.
H a r r i s

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by John Glas »

Minnesota is great climate/soil for many other fruits and vegetables, let's just stick to that :-)
MN apples are amazing!

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Chris H. »

John Glas wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:45 pm
MN apples are amazing!
Exactly!! I planted a few Honeycrisp trees in 2013, and they are bearing great quality fruit, and planted a Zestar tree this year, so it'll be fun to see how that tree grows and develops over the years.
H a r r i s

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:36 pm
I knew you were a man after my own heart.
champagne.gif
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Sarah S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Sarah S »

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:03 pm That's a tough draw. Maybe if it was marketed in advance to wedding venues as a dessert accompaniment, that would draw attention in a general market. Can give it a go for charity. Might be more of a game of "no backsies" for the lucky winner that doesn't realize what they are getting.

At 200 or so calories per 4oz, I’m thinking at least a 50 miler- assuming you burn 100 calories per mile. So let’s say maybe a 50 with some decent climbs...
S m i t h

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by JonathanG »

Jay Opperman wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:20 pm I have an 18 L of 2000 Cheval Blanc.I’ll gladly share it on its Centennial with anyone who will be here to remember the offer🍷
Pics or it didnt happen.

I have a 15L, 3x 9L and several 5L and 6L coming of 2018 BDX. Nothing as big as Cheval though. Some Canon and Beau Sejour Becot. I think Im about to learn how impractical those are to store!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by M.Kaplan »

Midas of Armand de Brignac.
266BF0C5-3D9B-47A1-B7DE-C640E3EB6324.jpeg
30L and it comes in its own coffin/bathtub.
---Mark

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Rich Brown »

M.Kaplan wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:33 pm Midas of Armand de Brignac.

266BF0C5-3D9B-47A1-B7DE-C640E3EB6324.jpeg

30L and it comes in its own coffin/bathtub.

The ONLY format that a true balla drinks out of

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Sarah S wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:04 pm

At 200 or so calories per 4oz, I’m thinking at least a 50 miler- assuming you burn 100 calories per mile. So let’s say maybe a 50 with some decent climbs...
Damn, more than I thought yet not surprised lol. Though I might need to pencil one of those in for Thanksgiving in general this year [pwn.gif]

Randy Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Randy Smith »

Turley.
http://www.thewinewrite.com/

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Randy Smith wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:05 pm Turley.
Not alone and in good company, there are whole threads on that one alone. Mine have to sit top of rack to not mess with others.

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Chuck Miller »

J Dove wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:36 pm
Chuck Miller wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:05 pm It used to be a 6L of 1989 Haut Brion, but I solved that problem when I opened it for a 60th birthday bash about 7 years ago, along with a 6L 1989 Lynch Bages, 6L 1990 Montrose, 6L 1999 Mouton and a 3L of 1983 Yquem. Other guests took the opportunity to clear their cellars of mags of Champagne and white burgs. Now the biggest bottles I have are magnums, including a 1995 Huet Cuvee Constance, who knows when I’ll drink that.
I used to have a 3L of 1983 Y’quem. I sold it 10 years ago when I finally resigned myself to just how impractical it was.

So, how was it?
Every one of these bottles, except the Mouton, was outstanding. The Yquem, at age 30, was a gorgeous golden color with power but very balanced. It could have gone another decade or two, but I wasn’t sure I would make it that long. A phenomenal wine to end the evening.
Chuck Miller

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Chris Seiber »

However hard it had always been to find occasions for many large format bottles, it seems even harder now and looking into the future. I have opened 0 of mine this year.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by PeterH »

I've got a 750 ml bottle of Retsina given to me by a neighbor.
It should have been put up in thimble size containers.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Mark Thompson »

Kelly Flynn wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Mark, if you can somehow bring that big boy on your next trip to your hometown, I promise I will assemble a worthy throng of imbibers.
I like that idea. Hopefully one of whom has an engineering degree.
Last edited by Mark Thompson on November 26th, 2020, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Sarah S »

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Sarah S wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Damn, more than I thought yet not surprised lol. Though I might need to pencil one of those in for Thanksgiving in general this year [pwn.gif]
You and me both. I’ve been drinking too much and not running enough this year...
S m i t h

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

I have a 3L of Loosen Bernkasteler Lay Kabinett. We need to do a dinner!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Return to “Wine Talk”