Cheese course pairing help

So the cheeses are fixed by the host (but in true WB fashion, please feel free to recommend changes for my host [tease.gif] )

Brie with truffles
Secret de Compostelle an aged sheep’s milk cheese similar to Ossau-Iraty
St. Nectaire
Pecorino Fresco

Any thoughts for a single wine to pair - sort of a ‘one ring to rule them all’? If not a single, no more than two.

Served before or after dinner (supper)?

Excellent question!
Before.

I would go for an old Barolo, Barbaresco, or Red Burgundy. Champagne probably works…a richer one like Vilmart or Krug.

fred

I’d lean towards a white Burgundy.

I prefer whites or champagne to a red. Maybe Amarone with its bit of sweetness.

Yes. Or an Oregon Chard, if you can tell the difference? [cheers.gif]

Have a safe enjoyable Tday.

RT

I don’t get this last; isn’t Amarone red? I, too, would prefer white, or perhaps even an orange wine, though nothing too over the top. Maybe something from Gravner, or, less pricey these days, Lopez de Heredia?

Mosel Rieslng Auslese, not too young but with enough acidity,
(although I’d always take a 1971 - with less acidity) [worship.gif]

If you prefer red: mature Maury

It’s the wine I would consider if it had to be a red.

+1 white burg, or mature red burg (beaune not Nuits) . Assuming it’s a top notch brie in good condition. (The truffles make me a little nervous in terms of what they may be hiding).

Who could ever mistake one for the other [shrug.gif] ?

You too, happy Tday!

I also think that white wines generally work better for a range of cheeses than red wines do. I suggest an “off-dry” Chenin Blanc, maybe Vouvray or Montlouis. I think they use the word “tendre” for this level of dry/sweetness. Just the slightest hint of sweet seems to bring out the fruit and when complemented by some acidity this is probably my favorite expression of Chenin Blanc, and one of my favorite white wine styles period.
If you want to go with a red wine. I’d suggest a fruit forward Pinot Noir.
Enjoy!

Those are all pretty mild cheeses, depending on the pecorino. You want to be careful of pairing through submission, which I think some of of those reds would do. Nor do you want to go too heavy on the palate if this is before your meal. You’ll never get a wine that is perfect with every cheese, assuming there’s a variety on your plate, so choose something versatile and classic and not too aggressive - white burgundy or champagne.

Slightly off-dry chenin blanc is a great cheese wine, but it shines most with goat and you don’t have that represented. Which is the real issue here… :wink:

Agree about whites in general. Although some seem to like red burg with epoisses which I’ve never quite got my head around. I’m focusing on this as a really good brie with good truffle is likely to be the star of the cheese board. And white burg and Brie is fairly classic.

Sorry Richard, I must have clicked the wrong “button”. I didn’t mean for my post to be a direct response to yours and to put you on the spot, but good to hear your additional comments. Cheers.

Yes, the ugly truth is that white wines are MUCH better matches for any cheese than red. Not that I don’t regularly ignore this fact.

Champagne!

NP. BTW I’m pretty high on Chenin too, but more from South Africa these days, they are killing it IMHO and prices are pretty reasonable (but ending up alas). Also some Semillon Chenin blends eg Alheit Cartology.

Not ugly at all. :grinning: