Comparing Moreau’s 2017 reds

I’m a big fan of Bernard Moreau’s entry-level whites, but have less experience with his reds. I tried the Cardeuse Rouge (2017) for the first time Sunday night, and I was so impressed that I decided to pop a Chassagne Villages Rouge (also 2017) tonight.

The resemblance was clear from the beginning, with both wines showing a nose of black cherry and a spice/licorice note that I associate with stem inclusion. Both were open and balanced, with darker fruits (black cherry on the Cardeuse, plum on the Villages) and stem/spice on the palate. While both were excellent, the Cardeuse was slightly lighter, more complex overall, and showed and extra level of finesse and precision.

Now I need to see about finding a few more to put away!

John. They are so great. I love his reds.

I’d just gotten some cardeuse

Any comparison or contrast to Ramonet and Niellon?

There are others with a lot more experience than me, but based on the few bottles I’ve had (2014s and 2015s), I’ve found Ramonet’s reds to also be light, focused and precise. Curious whether this is a Chassagne thing or a function of them both being better known for their whites (or just a coincidence). The Ramonets have been more towards the red fruit end of the spectrum, and didn’t show any of the stem / whole cluster influences that are prominent in the Moreaus.

I haven’t tried Niellon, but it sounds like I should.

I have only had Moreau’s red Chassagne at a relatively young age (that will change now that I am building up a supply) but I like them very much.

I have more experience with Ramonet’s red Chassagne and I find them among the most seductive red Burgundies that I have had over the last several years. If you value power over seductiveness, you may not like them as much as I do.

Niellon is a bit richer and toastier. Ramonet probably shows greater vintage variation as well as less of those whole cluster-derived aromas that you accurately identify.