TN: 2010 Antonio Vallana e Figlio Boca (Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Boca)

• 2010 Antonio Vallana e Figlio Boca - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Boca (11/23/2020)
    As always…beautiful. Balanced with a slight earthy streak. Medium weight and gorgeous nose. Drinks like a good mature chambolle 1er. Did I mention balanced. One of those ‘wish I had bought more’ wines.

Posted from CellarTracker

Super cool wine and so food friendly. Thanks for the note, I need to buy some.

I am a big fan of this wine, and have been patiently sitting on my 2010s. The wine is so beautifully and obviously nebbiolo, though, that I question the use of “drinks like a mature Chambolle 1er,” unless you mean as far as texture goes.

I’m a 1/4 thru a case already. Really fun to drink every bottle so far.

Thanks to Sarah I just bought a case of 2016 and had my first bottle. I agree with the texture being somewhere close to Burgundy (south of?). How were the tannins on the 2010? I had the 2016 over two days and the wall of tannins was pretty steep.

How goes their Boca compare with their Gattinara? I went deep on their 04 Gattinars and still happily drinking them

Barry - I’m jealous you still have '04s left. Mine are long gone.

Both are excellent wines, there is no quality difference between the two to my palate, they are priced similarly, and have roughly the same aging potential, in my opinion. Boca maybe a little longer. I believe Vallana treats the wines in a roughly similar way overall in terms of vinification and aging.

Boca has a higher percentage of Uva Rara and Vespolina than Gattinara, giving it a very different character. Boca is also further north than Gattinara, and the soils are different (I’m far an expert here). I find the Boca to be more silky and spicy, where the Gattinara is for me closer to a traditional barolo, though with some rusticity.

I love, buy, and drink both of them, as well as the Campi Raudii, which may be my personal favorite.

Yes the mouthfeel and structure and weight of a Chambolle 1er- deep and voluptuous but so balanced. Taste is of course Nebbiolo. It stays interesting all night.