TN: 2017 Cayuse Bionic Frog

I’m never sure if this is actually the best Cayuse wine as wines like Armada and en Chamberlin can for me show pretty special. That said if one is looking for a Cayuse wine style this has it x2. Funk funk funk, we find it unique and just so interesting from a domestic winery. What is the source Of this uniqueness? Who knows, but if your looking for a grand Cayuse this is a great example.

Ripe Fruit yet immediately consumed by Olive, earth and Then acid. There is really nothing like it in the new world. Black fruits on the palate carry the day. Structure is here and should be respected I’d think by at least 5+ years in the cellar to let this wine unravel.

Thanks for the note Robert, I’m a confirmed Cayuse-phile but still havent had a Frog and always wonder if they’re worth the extra tariff as like you I love the Armada. I have picked up a couple of 17s from generous Berserkers, but figured is patience is required for these tadpoles.

Cheers!

I try to give their Syrah’s 10 years in the cellar.

Love the funk on these wines. Anything they do works but Bionic is harder to allocate that is for sure.

This [cheers.gif]

At least 10. I am finding some are holding up well close to 20 years on.

Had a 98 cobblestone earlier this year that while good was clearly not the same wine
I had a couple years ago. [cheers.gif]

Interesting Mike. Bad storage? I have had some early 2000s (2001-2003 roughly) and many of them are still excellent.

Edi: Oh sorry – I realize you might mean it has just aged out, as opposed to being a completely different wine.

So far, mine are drinking excellent at 15 years.

I picked up a 10 Frog at their Cellar sale last Summer. Drink now or hold?

Either/or… [cheers.gif]

My one experience with the frog was a 2005 bought at auction and opened last year. Disturbingly low acid; Alan said it was like “walking through the cosmetics section of a department store”

If that was a representative experience 14 years on, I don’t know how it can last for 20. Or maybe it’s just the vintage [shrug.gif]

For me these wines drink well young and with age. The window is a long one.

These were like one of the cult things when I was starting to take wine seriously. I’ve had a glass or two younger (<5) at a tasting, never near a bottle. They pack a punch and are scatterbrained from what I have had at the time. I’ve honestly never read up on how well they really develop with age beyond like a decade to 15. Does it hit a stride in balance, or how much more does the fruit develop. Would be curious to hear from the bionic following while the topic is on the front burner.