Doh! Ever do this before?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kelly Walker

Doh! Ever do this before?

#1 Post by Kelly Walker » November 21st, 2020, 2:31 pm

Our daughter is home visiting us. My wife and her were supposed to be in Nashville today to run the Rock-and-Roll marathon which was postponed from April. Well it was cancelled just over a week ago so they decided to run a half marathon this morning on our local greenway instead. I decided to pull out a nice wine. For some reason I have not opened a Ch. Beaucastel CNdP in a few years. I went to the rack were I have numerous bottles and pulled a 2004. Not the greatest vintage but a nice wine. Popped the cork and poured a taste. That is when I noticed that it was not the regular CNdP but the Hommage A Jacques Perrin! I guess not the worst thing that could happen. Really good juice. I think in later vintages they changed the HJP lettering to green to make in stand out more. Otherwise the labels are exactly the same. Maybe a blessing in disguise. It is ready to drink.

If you keep peeling back an onion you eventually end up with nothing.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Doh! Ever do this before?

#2 Post by John Morris » November 21st, 2020, 4:26 pm

:)

For my tastes, 2004 was underappreciated in CdP.
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

Michael S. Monie

#3 Post by Michael S. Monie » November 21st, 2020, 4:36 pm

We drank a mag of 2004 Vieux Telegraphe recently and it was one of the best CDPs I've ever had.
Hubris Gravitas

"Why so unforgiving? And why so cold? Been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs." Robin Trower

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by jordan jacobs » November 21st, 2020, 4:40 pm

I have done this several times but it was almost exclusively the 2nd or 3rd pull of the evening when my focus was waned significantly.

Rauno E (NZ)

#5 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » November 21st, 2020, 4:46 pm

Hudelot Malconsorts instead of Vosne village :)! This reminds me I need to have an ‘04 Beaucastel soon. Really liked the elegance cf surrounding vintages when I tried it very young.
Rauno Engel

Eric White

#6 Post by Eric White » November 21st, 2020, 5:05 pm

I accidentally left a 2002 Rivers-Marie Summa Old Vine within reach while traveling about a year ago. I hear it was delish :(

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Rich Brown » November 21st, 2020, 5:35 pm

Pretty sure I've done this with Heitz cab before (like Jordan it was NOT our first bottle). Was aiming for the Napa and snagged a Martha's.

'Damn, this is good, but WAY tighter than I expected'. Oops.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alan Rath » November 21st, 2020, 6:10 pm

Rauno E (NZ) wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 4:46 pm
Hudelot Malconsorts instead of Vosne village :)! This reminds me I need to have an ‘04 Beaucastel soon. Really liked the elegance cf surrounding vintages when I tried it very young.
The started bottling only in magnum, just so this wouldn't happen ;)
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Rauno E (NZ)

#9 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » November 21st, 2020, 7:06 pm

Lol Alan, I was thinking that - wouldn’t have happened with a nice fresh one ;)! 2005 it was.
Rauno Engel

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by J a y H a c k » November 21st, 2020, 7:20 pm

I did this with a Myriad Elysian, where the word "Elysian" was in four point type.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Kris Patten » November 21st, 2020, 7:22 pm

I was at Wild Ginger in Seattle one evening and one of their new staff opened a 1998 Beaucastel Hommage vs. CdP. Not the end of the world, but a $900 bottle vs. $200 raised the teams ire.

Guy was sitting at the bar who ordered it, so we sent him a glass of everything we opened all night.
ITB

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Warren Taranow » November 21st, 2020, 7:56 pm

Slightly off topic; I love the Il Carnasciale olive oil. I buy that almost every year.
I really like the '04 CdP vintage, although it was initially not critically acclaimed.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » November 21st, 2020, 8:02 pm

Bob Ross coined it best, "Happy Accidents".

Just roll with it, and yes to your question, it has happened. The specifics escape me. It was some night I wanted a white wine, and pulled a high-end pre-mature South African Chenin that was beautiful yet had room to run.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

brodie thomson

#14 Post by brodie thomson » November 21st, 2020, 8:33 pm

Yup - opened a 2007 Mugnier Les Amoureuses thinking it was the Clos de la Marechale. My brother in law (who likes wine but does not know anything about burgundy) seemed to enjoy it.

Brodie

T. Williams

#15 Post by T. Williams » November 22nd, 2020, 2:41 am

I just did this with a 2018 Bedrock Heritage v. Old Vine Zin. For me...a $20 happy accident. It was a completely innocent mistake as I was dead sober pulling bottles for a tasting when it happened.

Oddly enough, it was for a <$20 daily drinkers tasting, and it still didn't win WOTN.

I figured it out two days later when I went to log the wines as consumed in cellar tracker and noticed the bottle I "pulled" was still sitting in its slot in my cellar and the one a single column over wasn't. Looking back at pictures of the night confirmed the mishap and that no one caught it the entire night!

Again, a very very small error comparatively.
TW
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

https://www.instagram.com/twilliams_dad.chef.engineer/

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Steve Gautier » November 22nd, 2020, 6:25 am

T. Williams wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 2:41 am
I just did this with a 2018 Bedrock Heritage v. Old Vine Zin. For me...a $20 happy accident. It was a completely innocent mistake as I was dead sober pulling bottles for a tasting when it happened.

Oddly enough, it was for a <$20 daily drinkers tasting, and it still didn't win WOTN.

I figured it out two days later when I went to log the wines as consumed in cellar tracker and noticed the bottle I "pulled" was still sitting in its slot in my cellar and the one a single column over wasn't. Looking back at pictures of the night confirmed the mishap and that no one caught it the entire night!

TW
Not surprising it didn’t win since on the recent podcast, Morgan and Chris said the 2018 Bedrock Heritage should be drank on day 2 or 3 or double decant in the morning.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mattstolz » November 22nd, 2020, 6:36 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:56 pm
Slightly off topic; I love the Il Carnasciale olive oil. I buy that almost every year.
I really like the '04 CdP vintage, although it was initially not critically acclaimed.
I'm curious where you buy it from? is it easier to track down than the wines?
Steve Gautier wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 6:25 am
T. Williams wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 2:41 am

TW
Not surprising it didn’t win since on the recent podcast, Morgan and Chris said the 2018 Bedrock Heritage should be drank on day 2 or 3 or double decant in the morning.
this is what I was about to say as well. bedrock vineyard definitely needs some time!

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Warren Taranow » November 22nd, 2020, 8:08 am

Mattstolz wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 6:36 am
Warren Taranow wrote:
Hi Matt,
I’ve sourced this from two places. The Rare Wine Company has a big Tuscan olive oil offer annually, which is where I buy most of my EVOO. Garagiste gets this as well, which is the main reason I stay on the mailing list.
I just received some Vieux Telegraph Olive Oil from Envoyer. It doesn’t have the spice of most of the great Tuscan oils, but is a beautiful milder version.
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

R. Gaston

#19 Post by R. Gaston » November 22nd, 2020, 9:25 am

One word... Lillian.
Ryan

Kelly Walker

#20 Post by Kelly Walker » November 22nd, 2020, 9:51 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 8:08 am
Mattstolz wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 6:36 am
Warren Taranow wrote:
Hi Matt,
I’ve sourced this from two places. The Rare Wine Company has a big Tuscan olive oil offer annually, which is where I buy most of my EVOO. Garagiste gets this as well, which is the main reason I stay on the mailing list.
I just received some Vieux Telegraph Olive Oil from Envoyer. It doesn’t have the spice of most of the great Tuscan oils, but is a beautiful milder version.
Cheers,
Warren
Yes, Rare Wine Co. sells it as part of their annual Tuscan oil sale. The problem is that it usually sells out in hours and if I recall you are limited to one bottle. Luckily the owners of Il Carnasciale (Il Caberlot) are close long time friends so I get a couple bottles every year either when Moritz comes to the US for the Slow Food tour or when I visit them in Mercatale.
If you keep peeling back an onion you eventually end up with nothing.

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Jim F » November 22nd, 2020, 1:34 pm

Kelly Walker wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 2:31 pm
Our daughter is home visiting us. My wife and her were supposed to be in Nashville today to run the Rock-and-Roll marathon which was postponed from April. Well it was cancelled just over a week ago so they decided to run a half marathon this morning on our local greenway instead. I decided to pull out a nice wine. For some reason I have not opened a Ch. Beaucastel CNdP in a few years. I went to the rack were I have numerous bottles and pulled a 2004. Not the greatest vintage but a nice wine. Popped the cork and poured a taste. That is when I noticed that it was not the regular CNdP but the Hommage A Jacques Perrin! I guess not the worst thing that could happen. Really good juice. I think in later vintages they changed the HJP lettering to green to make in stand out more. Otherwise the labels are exactly the same. Maybe a blessing in disguise. It is ready to drink.

Of course! Most recently a couple weeks ago I thought I pulled what I thought was a Patria Oakville out of the cellar. It was outstanding. Looked at the label and it was the Avoyelles.
Last edited by Jim F on November 23rd, 2020, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Freeman

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Scott Brunson » November 22nd, 2020, 4:19 pm

R. Gaston wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 9:25 am
One word... Lillian.
[cheers.gif]
I never know which one I’m opening.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#23 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 22nd, 2020, 8:40 pm

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 8:02 pm

Just roll with it, and yes to your question, it has happened. The specifics escape me. It was some night I wanted a white wine, and pulled a high-end pre-mature South African Chenin that was beautiful yet had room to run.
I'd love to hear which SA Chenin that was!
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Rich Brown » November 22nd, 2020, 8:56 pm

I've also done this with Sandlands at least twice. Gotta look pretty closely to see if its California vs. Amador, etc.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » November 22nd, 2020, 9:10 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 8:40 pm
Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:

Lol, it was from a time I was less diligent with CT. I want to say Sadie Family, pretty definite; Edit: Wanted to say Palladius though less sure now. The bottle and vintage was mid-2000s. Best recollection. It was well regarded and one of my first forays in to SA. Editx2: Recanting, narrowed it down among CT purchases, thinking it was the '06 Palladius. Was a beast of a white wine.

Drank way too young and no preparation. The first glass blew me away, I paused, and I knew I f*ck up.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#26 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 23rd, 2020, 9:33 am

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 9:10 pm
Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:

Lol, it was from a time I was less diligent with CT. I want to say Sadie Family, pretty definite; Edit: Wanted to say Palladius though less sure now. The bottle and vintage was mid-2000s. Best recollection. It was well regarded and one of my first forays in to SA. Editx2: Recanting, narrowed it down among CT purchases, thinking it was the '06 Palladius. Was a beast of a white wine.

Drank way too young and no preparation. The first glass blew me away, I paused, and I knew I f*ck up.
LOL! Thanks, Rich. Sorry to laugh, but I can imagine your tone and cadence in your writing. Good to hear that Palladius is legit-good ---- I've looked at it longingly a few times, but it's not exactly cheap. Now I might give it a shot sometime, as I've also had another Sadie wine or two I found to be excellent.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » November 23rd, 2020, 11:45 am

November 23rd, 2020, 9:33 am
Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 9:10 pm

LOL! Thanks, Rich. Sorry to laugh, but I can imagine your tone and cadence in your writing. Good to hear that Palladius is legit-good ---- I've looked at it longingly a few times, but it's not exactly cheap. Now I might give it a shot sometime, as I've also had another Sadie wine or two I found to be excellent.
Appreciate the complement [cheers.gif]

Sadie Family is worth it IMO, definitely. It delivers, rich and stops you in your tracks. Price-wise, its not Burgundy, then again nothing else is lol. That said, 50 bucks on a SA Chenin blend back in 2006 was some coin and taking a chance. It worked out and I recommend Sadie often. Recent vintages are a little over a c-note, probably about right for 15 years of wine inflation in a growth region. Its a great representation. Happy hunting!

michael_holmstrom

#28 Post by michael_holmstrom » November 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm

Slightly off topic, but attended a grand opening of hip new nightclub in Walnut Creek, CA twenty something years ago. The newly hired bar staff was inexperienced. A guy in our orbit of 20 and 30 something year old friends was feeling frisky and decided to order a shot of Louis the 13th Cognac. The bartender gave him an 8 oz. pour in a snifter. Everyone else in the group quickly said "i'll take one of those too". By end of night, that bottle of Louis had been polished off!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Rich Brown » November 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm

michael_holmstrom wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm
Slightly off topic, but attended a grand opening of hip new nightclub in Walnut Creek, CA twenty something years ago. The newly hired bar staff was inexperienced. A guy in our orbit of 20 and 30 something year old friends was feeling frisky and decided to order a shot of Louis the 13th Cognac. The bartender gave him an 8 oz. pour in a snifter. Everyone else in the group quickly said "i'll take one of those too". By end of night, that bottle of Louis had been polished off!
That's amazing! Would have been all over that 'make it a double please' ;)

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by lleichtman » November 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm

michael_holmstrom wrote:
How much were those 8 oz pours? That stuff is pretty expensive.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

michael_holmstrom

#31 Post by michael_holmstrom » November 23rd, 2020, 1:58 pm

lleichtman wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
michael_holmstrom wrote:
How much were those 8 oz pours? That stuff is pretty expensive.
Back then a 1/2 oz. pour of Louis was $100 give or take. So we got 16x value!

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by John Glas » November 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

For my tastes, 2004 was underappreciated in CdP.
A lot of regions were underappreciated in 04. I think in Barossa Valley that was the best vintage of the decade and Napa is not far behind. Bordeaux was solid overall.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Doug Schulman » November 23rd, 2020, 3:21 pm

I opened a Guiberteau clos des Carmes when I meant to get a Guichaux. Oops. Guests preferred the $20 Saumur Blanc we’d just had. There were reasons I hadn’t meant to pull the Carmes. I drank as much of it as I reasonably could.

Brady Daniels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Brady Daniels » November 23rd, 2020, 6:58 pm

Older Rhys bottles are super easy to this with. Tiny fonts for my ageing eyes.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Chris Seiber » November 23rd, 2020, 9:40 pm

Brady Daniels wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 6:58 pm
Older Rhys bottles are super easy to this with. Tiny fonts for my ageing eyes.
I was going to say the same thing. Both the bottlings and the vintages are easy to mix up.

Return to “Wine Talk”