Pairing Wine with Beer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jason Samansky

Pairing Wine with Beer

#1 Post by Jason Samansky » November 20th, 2020, 8:33 am

For Thanksgiving I wanted to pair wine and beer with the appetizers and then offer a choice for the entrée. I was thinking that wheat beer and pinot gris would work and an IPA with a Sauvignon Blanc. I had also thought that something would be a Russian River Damnation with a Russian River Rose of Pinot Noir. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that worked from them.

Alex N

Re: Pairing Wine with Beer

#2 Post by Alex N » November 20th, 2020, 9:04 am

Beer/wine hybrids could be fun. Firestone Walker makes a lot of them with grape skins, juice etc. They can be funky and tart. The Feral Brut is made with Pinot and it's like exactly 1/2 wine 1/2 beer and made like a champagne (can't be kegged, bottle only). Really interesting one.
Maybe a barrel aged stout (or BA pastry stout) with a port, or golden stout with sauterns/late harvest?
@13x N1ch•!z

Michael_H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Michael_H » November 20th, 2020, 11:51 am

When you say pairing wine and beer do you mean a wine that you would drink at the same time as the beer? Or are you looking for a beer that would pair with the same food that a wine would? If it is the former, has anyone had success drinking wine and beer at the same time? I'd think the bitterness of beer would be quite challenging with wine.
M!ch@el H3nd0n

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Paul McCourt » November 20th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Doesn't Magic Hat make DuVine, which is a beer & Wine hybrid?

(why I would ever want that is beyond me, but that's another story...)
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 20th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Riesling and IPA
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Armando Basarrate

#6 Post by Armando Basarrate » November 20th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Jason Samansky wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 8:33 am
For Thanksgiving I wanted to pair wine and beer with the appetizers and then offer a choice for the entrée. I was thinking that wheat beer and pinot gris would work and an IPA with a Sauvignon Blanc. I had also thought that something would be a Russian River Damnation with a Russian River Rose of Pinot Noir. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that worked from them.
Thought. Maybe substitute the RRB Supplication for the Damnation. Another thought. Berlinerweisse/gose with the pinot gris.

Please report how it works. I like the idea.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Vince T » November 21st, 2020, 9:52 am

Allagash Gulden Brett and Pegaü.

[stirthepothal.gif]
T s 3 n g

Return to “Wine Talk”