Pairing Wine with Beer

For Thanksgiving I wanted to pair wine and beer with the appetizers and then offer a choice for the entrée. I was thinking that wheat beer and pinot gris would work and an IPA with a Sauvignon Blanc. I had also thought that something would be a Russian River Damnation with a Russian River Rose of Pinot Noir. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that worked from them.

Beer/wine hybrids could be fun. Firestone Walker makes a lot of them with grape skins, juice etc. They can be funky and tart. The Feral Brut is made with Pinot and it’s like exactly 1/2 wine 1/2 beer and made like a champagne (can’t be kegged, bottle only). Really interesting one.
Maybe a barrel aged stout (or BA pastry stout) with a port, or golden stout with sauterns/late harvest?

When you say pairing wine and beer do you mean a wine that you would drink at the same time as the beer? Or are you looking for a beer that would pair with the same food that a wine would? If it is the former, has anyone had success drinking wine and beer at the same time? I’d think the bitterness of beer would be quite challenging with wine.

Doesn’t Magic Hat make DuVine, which is a beer & Wine hybrid?

(why I would ever want that is beyond me, but that’s another story…)

Riesling and IPA

Thought. Maybe substitute the RRB Supplication for the Damnation. Another thought. Berlinerweisse/gose with the pinot gris.

Please report how it works. I like the idea.

Allagash Gulden Brett and Pegaü.

[stirthepothal.gif]