God, I wish critics would stick to wines and not burden us with their musical preferences.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

God, I wish critics would stick to wines and not burden us with their musical preferences.

#1 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 19th, 2020, 5:38 am

Parker used to write about Neil Young et al constantly, and now it’s Neal Martin. Actually he has been doing this for some time, but it just got to be a little annoying. His just completed article on the glorious 1959 vintage has just been published by Vinous. Let me say up front, that unlike Parker, Neal is an excellent writer, but why on earth should anybody care what he thinks about jazz?

This gem
“ Where’s the melody? The aleatoric nature of jazz, zigzagging like a fly trapped in a jar, keeps me at arms length. I completely understand why others are fanatical, obsessive about this musical form, but I must accept that just like single malt whiskey and golf, jazz ain’t for me.”
ITB

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: God, I wish critics would stick to wines and not burden us with their musical preferences.

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 19th, 2020, 5:42 am

Neal is happily obsessed with music. That's one of the things I really like about him.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: God, I wish critics would stick to wines and not burden us with their musical preferences.

#3 Post by Brian Tuite » November 19th, 2020, 5:42 am

Shouldn’t this be in the critic’s bingo thread? [stirthepothal.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 19th, 2020, 6:01 am

I have no problem with his talking about music. I like having a little more fleshed out picture of him as a person. I think it enhances his writing about wine. He posts food pictures on FB sometimes and chats about that, too. I find people talking about what they are interested in to be interesting. I don't think he has any responsibility to limit himself to wine talk. He's not a machine.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 19th, 2020, 6:04 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 5:42 am
Clearly Martin is multi-faceted in every dimension, a towering vertical force of nuance and pedigree.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Dan Hammer » November 19th, 2020, 6:11 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 5:38 am
Parker used to write about Neil Young et al constantly
You admit in an online board that you're still reading Parker? neener
This space for rent.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jay Miller » November 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
Nah, definitely belongs in the curmudgeon thread.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 19th, 2020, 6:25 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:11 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
You admit in an online board that you're still reading Parker? neener
No, please note the words “used to”. I stopped reading the Advocate many moons ago. And I am pretty sure he doesn’t write for them any more.
ITB

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 19th, 2020, 6:26 am

Jay Miller wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:20 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
Yup.
ITB

rsmithjr

#10 Post by rsmithjr » November 19th, 2020, 6:33 am

No mention of Dave Brubeck....?
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mark Morrissette » November 19th, 2020, 6:35 am

A lot of the Vinous articles are great, and super informative. But, I have found I rarely, if ever, read Neal's.

Honestly, he seems like a great guy, but his writing style (including many references to music that are far too obscure for my pedestrian tastes) is not for me. Many others seem to love his articles. So, to each his own, I guess... [cheers.gif]

Markus S

#12 Post by Markus S » November 19th, 2020, 7:08 am

You don't like it, don't read it. There is an "ignore" feature for critics as well. [cheers.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Philip N. Jones

#13 Post by Philip N. Jones » November 19th, 2020, 7:08 am

Proof, once again, that you can’t mention Parker without drawing the ire of the Parker Haters.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Mark Golodetz » November 19th, 2020, 7:16 am

Markus S wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 7:08 am
You don't like it, don't read it. There is an "ignore" feature for critics as well. [cheers.gif]
It is embedded in the article. I want to read about 1959s, so have little choice but to read the other crap. But I would prefer if he didn’t include or separated it from his wine writing. I really don’t give a monkeys that he doesn’t like jazz.
ITB

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Julian Marshall » November 19th, 2020, 7:29 am

I like Neal Martin's writing, which I find refreshingly unpretentious and modest. He has always included musical references, it's part of his DNA and he has always done separate musical reviews for first TWA and now Vinous. Personally I like most of his musical taste anyway so I enjoy them. Most of the wine articles' titles are cryptic references to albums or songs and again, I enjoy that. Occasionally, the producer profiles also veer into musical references, like his one with Nicolas Glumineau which was all about The Cure - it was one of my favourites! But each to their own - even if the music bugs you, you can always just focus on the wine parts.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 19th, 2020, 7:38 am

I like Neal’s writing, on the random occasion I read it, but can you really trust anyone who doesn’t like jazz?

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 19th, 2020, 7:48 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 7:38 am
I like Neal’s writing, on the random occasion I read it, but can you really trust anyone who doesn’t like jazz?
Right? Or single malt scotch! :)
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Robert Dentice » November 19th, 2020, 7:52 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 7:38 am
I love his writing and that he is a music geek. BUT I was shocked when I read that!
ITB - source | material

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 19th, 2020, 7:57 am

People who don’t like jazz are just kind of shitty in bed too.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Jerry Hey

#20 Post by Jerry Hey » November 19th, 2020, 8:06 am

I read wine articles to find out more about wine. I even balk at most of my musician friends recommending music to me, so I'd rather not hear any thoughts on someone's musical opinions. Music may even be more of a personal preference than wine.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Chris Seiber » November 19th, 2020, 8:24 am

From the classic Stuff White People Like blog:

"Historically speaking, the music that white people have kept on life support for the longest period of time is Jazz. Thanks largely to public radio, bookstores, and coffee shops, Jazz has carved out a niche in white culture that is not yet ready to be replaced by Indie Rock. But the biggest role that Jazz plays in white culture is in the white fantasy of leisure. All white people believe that they prefer listening to jazz over watching television. This is not true.

Every few a months, a white person will put on some Jazz and pour themselves a glass of wine or scotch and tell themselves how nice it is. Then they will get bored and watch television or write emails to other white people about how nice it was to listen to Jazz at home. “Last night, I poured myself a glass of Shiraz and put Charlie Parker on the Bose. It was so relaxing, I wish I had a fireplace.”"

https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/1 ... o-anymore/

JBrochu

#22 Post by JBrochu » November 19th, 2020, 8:51 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
That's the first nice thing I've ever read about Parker.
J@hn

ybarselah

#23 Post by ybarselah » November 19th, 2020, 9:00 am

what's most odd is that the article itself is titled "The Year of Jazz & Wine: 1959." the reader should reasonably expect some tie between the two as opposed to the author undermining the title by turning into a non-sequitur about how he doesn't like jazz and then never mentioning it again.

i don't really care what writers write about and the "stay in your lane" idea is usually abhorrent, but ... if you're going to write about jazz and wine maybe.... write about jazz and wine?
Yaacov (ITB)

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by Merrill Lindquist » November 19th, 2020, 9:00 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 8:24 am

"Historically speaking, the music that white people have kept on life support for the longest period of time is Jazz. Thanks largely to public radio, bookstores, and coffee shops, Jazz has carved out a niche in white culture that is not yet ready to be replaced by Indie Rock. But the biggest role that Jazz plays in white culture is in the white fantasy of leisure. All white people believe that they prefer listening to jazz over watching television. This is not true.

Every few a months, a white person will put on some Jazz and pour themselves a glass of wine or scotch and tell themselves how nice it is. Then they will get bored and watch television or write emails to other white people about how nice it was to listen to Jazz at home. “Last night, I poured myself a glass of Shiraz and put Charlie Parker on the Bose. It was so relaxing, I wish I had a fireplace.”"

Chris, would you please email me?
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Jim Brennan

#25 Post by Jim Brennan » November 19th, 2020, 9:15 am

The idea that one can love music and dismiss all jazz as if it is monolithic seems like enough of a flaw that I agree with Mark's premise.

Markus S

#26 Post by Markus S » November 19th, 2020, 9:45 am

Chris Seiber wrote:

So true. Jazz is definitely overrated.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 19th, 2020, 9:49 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:04 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
Clearly Martin is multi-faceted in every dimension, a towering vertical force of nuance and pedigree.
Mmm...he’s no William Kelley ;)
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Erik Miller

#28 Post by Erik Miller » November 19th, 2020, 9:59 am

*sigh*

I once made the mistake of questioning Mr. Martin's 'nuanced' discussions of wine - or not the wine, but 'stuff' surrounding... I am a customer, but in his case, clearly incorrect... Oh well

I could give a c#$p about his perspective on Jazz or other music, really. Write about wine and I will decide whether to bank on his thoughts. To date he has not moved me. Sad, as I think our palates align a bit. Just not my 'cup of tea'

I am unimpressed. Sad about his health issues, but he does not move $$ from my wallet as other reviewers do.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 19th, 2020, 10:16 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 9:15 am
The idea that one can love music and dismiss all jazz as if it is monolithic seems like enough of a flaw that I agree with Mark's premise.
Stipulating that I do not have any warm and fuzzy feelings for Neil Martin, was that his premise?

Honestly, I kind of feel like he was generalizing himself rather than jazz(or golf or scotch).
Winemaker & Owner

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Dennis Borczon » November 19th, 2020, 10:18 am

Oh my, some folks really are pretty cranky these days! The quarantine must be getting to all of us. I think most publications in the Pop world do try to be entertaining, do they not? It's not like Neal is issuing a stock report on the latest IPO. (Maybe for some readers). Reminds me of sports fans who complain about player celebrations, "I just came here to watch football" crowd. It's entertainment, not an exercise in statistical analysis of wine. For that just read the tech sheets. It has everything you want to know about acidity, alcohol, etc...

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by john stimson » November 19th, 2020, 11:40 am

If you view Neal as a wine critic, then I suppose your complaint makes sense, but he really is a wine/culture/music/food writer. I enjoy Neal's writing quite a bit, and don't mind that he writes about music, although when the music takes precedence over the wine in a wine article, I find it a little irritating.

I find that the fine points of wine appreciation/understanding and the fine points of music appreciation/understanding have a high degree of overlap. I'm not talking about people who "love" wine, and will drink and enjoy awful swill, or the folks who "love" music, and will crank up terrible, irritating junk. But there are clearly people who understand and appreciate wine at a higher level than most of the rest of the world, and there are clearly folks who have the true gift of music at a far higher level than the rest of the world. And I think these two sensual abilities often coincide (not to repeat repeat myself.)

I'm not certain yet where Neal lies, but I think it's fair to factor his musical tastes into assessing his sensual abilities in terms of calibrating his palate. I must say that his comments about scotch and Jazz gave me pause on both fronts. At the moment I'm still calibrating his palate, and doing the same with his musical sensibilities. Musically, he seems to favor eclectic/quirky (although this could be just that it is deemed to be more attention getting for the audience). Wine-wise, does he favor Bordeaux over Burgundy, or is this just the nature of his assigned coverage?

A Dotson

#32 Post by A Dotson » November 19th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:

Bose?!?!?!?

WTAF!

Two of those three things are just wrong. [head-bang.gif]

But, since Shiraz is the Bose of wine, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

_

By and by, the current jazz scene is overflowing with talent. Please tell the black players among them that the music they make is no longer for black people to enjoy. [swearing.gif]

[stirthepothal.gif]
(It's me, Anton! I'm Beta testing, 'cause I'm a master Beta!)

That which does not kill us, makes us older.

John Ammons

#33 Post by John Ammons » November 19th, 2020, 1:00 pm

A Dotson wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 12:44 pm
Bose?!?!?!?

WTAF!
Brings to mind the infamous quote, "no highs, no lows, must be Bose." [whistle.gif]

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Chris Seiber » November 19th, 2020, 1:55 pm

A Dotson wrote:
Chris Seiber wrote:

Bose?!?!?!?

WTAF!

_

By and by, the current jazz scene is overflowing with talent. Please tell the black players among them that the music they make is no longer for black people to enjoy. [swearing.gif]

[stirthepothal.gif]
I think the comment (which was just meant for laughs, not me trying to start an assault on jazz music) was about the audience, not the music or the musicians. Shiraz and Bose are also in there because that piece was written in 2008.

I know there is good jazz and there are people who genuinely love jazz, but you'd have to admit, there is a pretty widespread pose out there about jazz as well, people declaring their love for it as some kind of cultural and elite taste marker, but who probably don't actually turn off the TV and listen to it when nobody else is around.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 19th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:

That is a truly impressive amount of bullshit in a very few sentences.

I like Neal's writing about wine, and I like his writing about pop music. I'd rather not see him combine the two ("this is the Nine Inch Nails of Lagrein") but I am sure that John will alert me if he does.

My personal view is that jazz is this country's greatest artistic contribution to the world. It pains me that it is not more broadly recognized as such
Last edited by Neal.Mollen on November 19th, 2020, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

A Dotson

#36 Post by A Dotson » November 19th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 1:55 pm
A Dotson wrote:
Chris Seiber wrote:

Bose?!?!?!?

WTAF!

_

[stirthepothal.gif]
I think the comment (which was just meant for laughs, not me trying to start an assault on jazz music) was about the audience, not the music or the musicians. Shiraz and Bose are also in there because that piece was written in 2008.

I know there is good jazz and there are people who genuinely love jazz, but you'd have to admit, there is a pretty widespread pose out there about jazz as well, people declaring their love for it as some kind of cultural and elite taste marker, but who probably don't actually turn off the TV and listen to it when nobody else is around.
I meant my reply only in jest. (100% goofing off, no ill intent.)

I am unaware of the widespread fake love of jazz. Although, I have met a few here and there. I ask them who they like and when they say, "Spyro Gyra, Return to Forever, Flim and the BBs, John Klemmer, Tuck & Patty, Mannheim Steamroller, Chuck Mangione, Manhattan Transfer, or that infernal Kenny G," I stop them right then and there and offer them a big glass of Shiraz.
Click to see spoiler:
More apologies, one of those answers is a trap.

A Dotson

#37 Post by A Dotson » November 19th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 2:01 pm

...."this is the Nine Inch Nails of Lagrein"....

[rofl.gif]

This is the Sheen Easton of Shiraz.

This wine is the "MacArthur Park" of Merlot.

I love this idea....

This wine is the Joel Grey of Cabernet.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Howard Cooper » November 19th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

A Dotson

#39 Post by A Dotson » November 19th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 2:26 pm
Track one, side two is a total Howard moment! champagne.gif

[wink.gif]

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Bob Hughes » November 19th, 2020, 2:34 pm

I’m an old white guy who likes jazz and wine - plus the Grateful Dead [cheers.gif]

I obviously didn’t take the same degree of umbrage that Mark did when I read Neal’s comments about jazz, but I did think WTF?

BTW, Anton, while I will concede that I don’t listen to jazz fusion all that much anymore, putting RTF in the same sentence with Kenny G is a pretty serious disservice to Chick Corea, not to mention Stanley Clarke, Lenny White & Al DiMeola.

A Dotson

#41 Post by A Dotson » November 19th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 2:34 pm
I’m an old white guy who likes jazz and wine - plus the Grateful Dead [cheers.gif]

I obviously didn’t take the same degree of umbrage that Mark did when I read Neal’s comments about jazz, but I did think WTF?

BTW, Anton, while I will concede that I don’t listen to jazz fusion all that much anymore, putting RTF in the same sentence with Kenny G is a pretty serious disservice to Chick Corea, not to mention Stanley Clarke, Lenny White & Al DiMeola.
You are good! Check my spoiler, you nailed it!!! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Cheers, man, I agree.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#42 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 19th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Dennis Borczon wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 10:18 am
Oh my, some folks really are pretty cranky these days! The quarantine must be getting to all of us. I think most publications in the Pop world do try to be entertaining, do they not? It's not like Neal is issuing a stock report on the latest IPO. (Maybe for some readers). Reminds me of sports fans who complain about player celebrations, "I just came here to watch football" crowd. It's entertainment, not an exercise in statistical analysis of wine. For that just read the tech sheets. It has everything you want to know about acidity, alcohol, etc...
Ah...not to be cranky Dennis, but for some of us Mr. Martin’s issuances are very much as important as stock reports, if not exactly like them.

He and all other impactful critics are issuing a buy/sell for the production of wines by people like me. While their opinions do not define my succes, they do impact my fiscal well being materially. Fortunately, more often than not the impact is good.
Winemaker & Owner

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Matthew King » November 19th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:01 am
I have no problem with his talking about music. I like having a little more fleshed out picture of him as a person. I think it enhances his writing about wine. He posts food pictures on FB sometimes and chats about that, too. I find people talking about what they are interested in to be interesting. I don't think he has any responsibility to limit himself to wine talk. He's not a machine.
What she said.
"When life looks like Easy Street, there’s danger at your door.”

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Robert M yers » November 19th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I just read through all the replies to see if GOD had chimed in. I didn’t know she/he registered and if she /he does will Todd enforce the last name policy?

Jeremy Holmes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 19th, 2020, 4:46 pm

I wish they wouldn't burden us with their wine preferences.
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by alan weinberg » November 19th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 2:34 pm
this old guy only listens to blues, mostly by dead guys . . . goes well with burgundy, weightlifting, driving. Don’t read many wine critics any more, just a few peeps on this board. Now back to Lightnin’ Hopkins.

Odd Rydland

#47 Post by Odd Rydland » November 19th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Philip N. Jones wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 7:08 am
Proof, once again, that you can’t mention Parker without drawing the ire of the Parker Haters.
What Parker?
Charlie Parker?

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by William Kelley » November 20th, 2020, 1:25 am

Jeremy Holmes wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 4:46 pm
[rofl.gif]
The Wine Advocate

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 20th, 2020, 4:18 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:26 am
Jay Miller wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:20 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
Yup.
Cracking up on these, definitely the most of the first world problems threads recently! And yea, jazz bores me. Now if the note was composed to Lil Wayne or Kendrick Lamar, then we good.

[wow.gif]
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Max S. » November 20th, 2020, 6:56 am

Jeremy Holmes wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 4:46 pm
My greatest fear is this post will be lost to the masses.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Return to “Wine Talk”