TN: 2012 Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet Fixin Les Crais

Greets you with a nice dollop of smoky oak, cocoa powder, and black cherry fruit quality on the nose. The palate is savoury, full-bodied, and rustic in a charming way; plenty of structure, mouth-coating tannins, and dusty earth. Still quite primary. Brings a smile to my face; very much in the old-school of winemaking. To me, very reminiscent of a solid Gevrey bottling - not a surprise given the proximity - and perfect as a hearty companion for a chilly evening and Boeuf Bourguignon. This’ll live for a good long time.

I know that Amélie, the daughter, has taken over (I think this vintage was a transitional one between she and her father) and has worked towards better viticultural practices and has dialled down the oak usage, which I think bodes well for these wines since the quality is evident. I’ll be on the lookout for more of these wines in the future.

Last opened one of these a little over a year ago and put the remaining bottles of the case deep deep into the recesses of the cellar. Like an old school Gouges. Have bought a number of her more recent Vosne holdings, which are much more up my alley.

They’ll definitely be in great shape in a decade or more. I don’t know who brings these in, though!

Daniel @ Burgundy Direct