TN: 2014 Historic Vineyard Society Zinfandel Old Vine Pagani Vineyard

• 2014 Historic Vineyard Society Zinfandel Old Vine Pagani Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/17/2020)
    What a great way to present a vineyard. The sum of the parts that make up this Pagani Ranch wine is wonderful. Every winemaker bringing something different to the party. Great florals, tangy acidity, generous fruit, judicious oak and just the right amount of restraint to turn a normally big boned behemoth into puppy dog that licks your face and makes you smile.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thanks for the tasting note!! I am always jealous of y’all Californians when you have such awesome opportunities to tour vineyards and drink special bottlings of old-vine goodness!

Historic Vineyard Society Event (w/pics): 7th Annual HVS Vineyard Tour & Dinner

Wine Berserkers thread (w/pics): “Braving the Heat in Support of Preserving CA Historic Vineyards”

For prior events, did a different winery create the HVS special bottling, or did Bedrock always make it? I thought there was (at some point) a “collaboration” with multiple winemakers blending their stuff into a single HVS Zin…?

There were only two HVS bottlings. One from Bedrock Vineyard and one from Pagani Ranch.

Each one was a blend of 5 barrels of Zinfandel from 5 different winemakers (Morgan Twain-Peterson MW, Mike Officer, Tegan Passalacqua, David Gates and Bob Biale) made from the same fruit from the featured vineyard.

What length of decant do you think this wine would need today?

1 Like

Good question. A couple hours wouldn’t hurt.

Damn delicious Zinfandel. Nose is all smoke, whiff of maybe Jamon, sort of hard to identify. No fruit in the nose though. Delicious even-handed Zin fruit with great mouthfeel. Not rambunctious, not entirely elegant, fun wine to drink already.

1 Like

I finished emptying out all my wine storage and I don’t have any of these left. All I have is one of 2013 Bedrock Vineyard version. Damn.