TN: 1999 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Rouge

From half bottle, this was let down somewhat by the cork. It was deep and dense but the ethereal qualities of the wine were planed off by some nutty oxidation. At its core is luscious cherry fruit. It has some earthy development and is very long.

Drank the 1980 with Véronique last week - they got the old wooden wine press in service again to celebrate the house’s anniversary. Super perfumed and supple (especially for a rather firm vintage). The perimeter of Clos des Mouches is one of my favorite Saturday morning hikes when I’m in Beaune.

Nice to see all those 1980’s you have been drinking William. A somewhat forgotten vintage that seems to be right in the zone now.

This '99 Mouches is usually highly-perfumed and I suspect my remaining bottles will show a lot better than this one.

Jeremy, do you have a view on whether the ‘99 is ready in 750? I have been waiting a long time, and I recall a discussion on WB a couple years ago that it was not quite there.

Jayson,

I would probably give it another 5 years.

Cheers
Jeremy

Having bought 1980s in my youth and enjoying many of them, it is fascinating to me that so many seem to be alive and kicking 40 years later. I wonder what this means for vintages like 2000 or 2007 or maybe 2017. I wish I still had some 1980s to see for myself, but I drank mine a long time ago - needed something to drink.

I also find it fascinating that so many wines from Beaune age so well. Well made Beaune premier crus are usually ignored by people when discussing the great values in Burgundy but I think there has been a tremendous amount of value in these wines over the last 20 years or so if only we have the patience for them to mature.

Clos des Mouches and Clos des Ursules are two of the great values in Burgundy regardless of location.

Jayson, you might recall that Jeff brought one from Joe’s stash to Don’s place 2 years ago.

It was already showing very well but I decided to leave mine a bit longer. This was his note:

“Drouhin 1999 Beaune 1er “Clos des Mouches” - SFJoe bottle; beautiful, snappy, all red fruit, tension and energy worthy of a 1er Cru”

Beginning to slip from value plays, but it’s all relative, so I totally agree.
I love Clos Mouches and used to drink a good bit when I could more readily afford it. The rouge is a triple digit wine for the most part now and backfilling decent vintages pushes closer to the $200s. This thread caused me to look at my CT data on some of the reds: Purchased the '96 for $85 in 2015, '02 for $65 in 2014! the '90 for $100 in 2015 [cheers.gif] and so on…those days are long gone, sadly.

Anyway, nice note Jeremy!

Huh, I haven’t looked at old CdM pricing in a while, but you are right looks like they start at $125 for new vintages and go up from there.

Anyone tried the Le Moine CdM Rouge?

Managed to get a 6 pack of this as recently as 2015 for £50 all in!

Anybody had the 1995 recently?

Right! And we had another one with Jonathan just a year ago at BOHK. Sappy and snappy. Sometimes I think my instant recall isn’t what it was. Nah. More like a brain fart.

My note from 3 years ago…

• 1995 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (7/28/2017)
    a good, not great showing. Open with a heady dose of musty, wet basement, that’s not a tca issue, it just smells a bit musty. This does blow off fairly quickly. The wine tastes slightly out of balance. There’s some concentrated red fruit, but a leanness that I associate with some '95s. Very rustic. Entirely drinkable, but pales to all the other '90s mouches I’ve had

Posted from CellarTracker