2000 Pichon vs Cos

Tasted the Cos D’Estournel 2000 against 200o Pichon Lalande, and I have to say both are vastly different types of wines. The Cos was fantastic, while the Pichon took some time to leave the gate. The Cos is drinking very well right now, and I think that the Pichon has not yet established itself perhaps. What I find amazing is that both are made up of the same varietals (with differing percentages) however the tastes are very different. I am not as well versed as others, but perhaps it is the winemaking style?

Discuss!

Warm up wine was the 1997 Chateau St Jean Cinq Cepage. - Tasted blind, thought it was a Syrah. Very nice mature wine. Although I was scratching my head about the wine of the year award from those pundits over at WS

PLL is a much more thought provoking wine that will likely take more time to fully show its potential, even with a healthy does of Merlot in 2000 balanced by the Petite Verdot. Cos was already into a more modern style that is more approachable and doesn’t have any PV in it to add structure.

I think 1996 CSJ Cinq Cepages was WSWOTY.

I popped the 2000 Pichon some yrs. back with Alfert…the wine took 2.5 hours of decanting before it showed anything…this is not going to be your masculine bruising alpha pauillac…this has more of a medium body elegance, a softer quieter beauty. Gorgeous stuff. I know my notes contradict the pro notes but, this is how my bottle expressed itself.

The Pichon Baron in 2000 was the killer.

The Baron is almost ever the better wine. With the exception of 1982, 1983 and 1985.

Cos in 2000 was beginning its move to the dark side. I remember a couple of years ago being underwhelmed by its overly upfront friendliness, and a lack of delineation. Baron 2000 is excellent.

Loved the 2000 Pichon Baron